Jump to content

College Football 2021


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, Meshmaster101 said:

idk who the psychos at adidas are who think its a good idea to pair white facemasks with silver numbers lol. esp when grey facemasks are pretty much the standard look for ku. mentally detachedKU Jayhawks football vs. South Dakota: Time, TV game preview | The Kansas  City Star

Agreed, it makes for a really disjointed look.  But I think I can also say that these helmets are some of the best they have ever worn. If they can get uniforms with white, rather than silver, numbers, then it makes for a solid look all the way around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, SSmith48 said:

Agreed, it makes for a really disjointed look.  But I think I can also say that these helmets are some of the best they have ever worn. If they can get uniforms with white, rather than silver, numbers, then it makes for a solid look all the way around.


Trajan font still sucks though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Meshmaster101 said:

idk who the psychos at adidas are who think its a good idea to pair white facemasks with silver numbers lol. esp when grey facemasks are pretty much the standard look for ku. mentally detachedKU Jayhawks football vs. South Dakota: Time, TV game preview | The Kansas  City Star

Probably not adidas but the school themselves that decided on white face masks. You know considering adidas doesn’t make helmets.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

 

I don't know. I've gone on record saying I think the Ducks' bright green and yellow is quite possibly the best color scheme in sports (when they don't muck it up with black, grey, or that nauseating greenish-black color), but there's something about the jersey construction that always strikes me as looking vaguely cheap, which I know is weird because I assume they're getting what Nike considers the top of the line.

 

The shiney numbers remind me of cheap iron-on decals from the 70's, and the sublimated doodads on the shoulders look kinda cheesy IMO. 

 

A game jersey looks best with stichted on twill numbers, and embroidered details.  Oregon is never going to top those Rose Bowl jerseys with the cartoon duck on the sleeve. If they could bring themselves to leave behind this mindset that makes them feel that they have to constantly change game by game, they could embrace the idea that they had finally gotten it right, and let it go.

 

I think that’s a fair criticism, and I think it really comes down to personal preference for something like the material of the numbers or the shoulder designs. For me, I like there being a little bit of flash in those elements for the Ducks and actually thought that was something that was lacking from their last set (which just had perforated twill numbers with a shiny inline on the “regular” jerseys). The numbers are still stitched on, which is a must, but they have the shiny treatment on the body of the numbers. 
 

The new jerseys are still toned down from those of the 2010’s because those often combined shiny numbers with contrasting number outlines and had shoulder designs that ranged from silver to iridescent green to two-color treatments like apple green and silver or yellow and silver wings. The new set sticks to one-color numbers and the jerseys as a whole mostly have one accent color with just a touch of a third color in some of the shoulder designs. If I had to choose between the shiny numbers and the shiny shoulder pattern, I would definitely choose to get rid of the shiny number treatment. That said, even with the shiny numbers I think the new set is a pretty good mix between the overly flashy jerseys of the 2010’s and the simplicity of the last set. 
 

The 2015 Rose Bowl jerseys were definitely the pinnacle, but even those had a shiny treatment on the wings (albeit they were tonal and a bit more subtle than the shoulder design on the new green jerseys). I think the new green jerseys are more similar to those RB duds than they are different, which is partially why I’m such a big fan. I’m mainly just happy that there’s a cohesive set again, and that it does have a shoulder design which I believe to be a nice blending of eras. The green and yellow need to be emphasized and worn more frequently, with the likes of black and silver and even lime green being more limited in use.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Boston College went with a satin gold helmet this year and looks awful. They should have kept it metallic gold. 

I don't think it looks terrible, but your point stands: a glossy gold or metallic gold would definitely be better. Not to mention, the actual shade of gold is that dull khaki that BC, UCF, and a few other schools have been using.

 

spacer.png

 

This is superior in both finish and shade of gold:

 

spacer.png

 

What is more concerning to me is the pants: are they wearing white pants with their dark jerseys?  The numbers are what throw that off. Generally speaking, I don't mind white pants with dark jerseys as long as the numbers aren't white. In this application, it feels a little too white-heavy for a school that has been traditionally gold-maroon-gold.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Ted Cunningham said:

I don't think it looks terrible, but your point stands: a glossy gold or metallic gold would definitely be better. Not to mention, the actual shade of gold is that dull khaki that BC, UCF, and a few other schools have been using.

 

spacer.png

 

This is superior in both finish and shade of gold:

 

spacer.png

 

What is more concerning to me is the pants: are they wearing white pants with their dark jerseys?  The numbers are what throw that off. Generally speaking, I don't mind white pants with dark jerseys as long as the numbers aren't white. In this application, it feels a little too white-heavy for a school that has been traditionally gold-maroon-gold.

Bring back dazzle pants.spacer.png

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 6/7/2021 at 2:43 PM, cajunaggie08 said:

A small possible Texas A&M change was noted from this cover photo shoot in that the maroon uniform now is showing white sleeve trim. The trim matched the uniform during the 2020 season

 

 

 

Despite A&M players wearing jerseys featuring white trim for all of the pre-season photo shoots, they wore the same trim-less uniform from last year including the "UNIFIED" patch next to the adidas logo against Kent State and their Chargers-esque uniform.

 

Kent State v Texas A&M : News Photo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

Indiana unveiled their throwback uni and its from the early-to-mid 90s...and arguably better than the current look. 

 

I always liked this one: https://www.uniswag.com/blog/throwback-uniform-for-indiana-footballimage_handler.aspx.jpeg

 

This was a really good stand alone look back in the day but it was so divergent (dark red, black trim, I logo) from the traditional basketball identity it was destined to have a short shelflife.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

dude these teams deciding that they're gonna wear the white helmets with the white away jerseys has me tearing my hair out. the worst part about a team wearing a white helmet is that it looks boring asf when the team goes away and is wearing like all white basically. i dont understand why so many teams decide that "its le white out time!!!" when colored helmets almost always look better with white jerseys. i hate nike so much its unreal

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, guest23 said:

 

This was a really good stand alone look back in the day but it was so divergent (dark red, black trim, I logo) from the traditional basketball identity it was destined to have a short shelflife.

It didnt help that Indiana football steered hard into using black that it became their helmet color and had a football only primary logo. They looked like a combination of the 49ers and Texas Tech and then after switching to Nike began using the Denver Broncos style jersey with even more black trim. You wouldn't think this team was part of the same athletic department as basketball with how they looked from 97-01

 

Antwaan-Randle-El.png?fit=497%2C280&ssl=1

 

BswXfS8CAAATjG2.png:large

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Meshmaster101 said:

dude these teams deciding that they're gonna wear the white helmets with the white away jerseys has me tearing my hair out. the worst part about a team wearing a white helmet is that it looks boring asf when the team goes away and is wearing like all white basically. i dont understand why so many teams decide that "its le white out time!!!" when colored helmets almost always look better with white jerseys. i hate nike so much its unreal

 

It's not Nike, its the schools. Under Armour and Adidas teams also do this. Stop blaming the manufacture when it is the Equipment team that puts the combos together. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.