College Football 2021 - Logos & Uniforms

2 hours ago, dont care said:

What are you talking about? The 9ers, have red in their pants and helmet. 

2 hours ago, Kevin W. said:

You mean like the San Francisco 49ers whose gold pants have red/white/red stripes on them?

1284526780.0.jpg

I think he's talking about how the jerseys have no gold in them. Not every piece of the uniform needs to include every color to form a cohesive uniform. Perhaps Notre Dame is a better comparison. No blue on the helmet, and only the logo is blue on the pants. The older uniforms didn't even have gold on the jersey. Yet it works. It's all about gestalt.

Those Oregon uniforms however, do not work. Not because the helmet and pants lack green, but because they just suck.

spacer.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
11 minutes ago, burgundy said:

I think he's talking about how the jerseys have no gold in them. Not every piece of the uniform needs to include every color to form a cohesive uniform. Perhaps Notre Dame is a better comparison. No blue on the helmet, and only the logo is blue on the pants. The older uniforms didn't even have gold on the jersey. Yet it works. It's all about gestalt.

Those Oregon uniforms however, do not work. Not because the helmet and pants lack green, but because they just suck.

You’re spot on with the first part, and Notre Dame is a great comparison to further illustrate the point.

As for the bolded, all I can do is sit back, shake my head and laugh😂

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

39 minutes ago, upperV03 said:

As for the bolded, all I can do is sit back, shake my head and laugh😂

Glad I can be entertaining. 😎

But honestly, "suck" is a bit of hyperbole. I like what they're trying to do with the color balance, but I don't like the details. The gradient wing doesn't work, and would look so much better if it was solid yellow. Although I'd prefer a yellow O on the sides of the black helmet. And while we're at it, add a yellow O to the hips. Maybe some green gloves and cleats too.

spacer.png

7 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Glad I can be entertaining. 😎

But honestly, "suck" is a bit of hyperbole. I like what they're trying to do with the color balance, but I don't like the details. The gradient wing doesn't work, and would look so much better if it was solid yellow. Although I'd prefer a yellow O on the sides of the black helmet. And while we're at it, add a yellow O to the hips. Maybe some green gloves and cleats too.

I’ll say this, I definitely agree about adding the yellow ‘O’ on the hip and the green gloves. I’d say green cleats too, but their green cleats have silver accents which would’ve clashed with the rest of the look instead of the yellow accents that the black cleats have. I personally really like the gradient wings on the helmets, and they seem pretty popular with the rest of the fanbase. I get that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea, though. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

57 minutes ago, burgundy said:

Notre dame can get away with it because those pants and helmet are so simple they can go with any color jersey because pants and helmets (to a lesser extent) are traditionally secondary colors. Oregon’s don’t work because the helmet and pants were clearly designed to go with a black or yellow jersey, also white so long as they elements on the jersey are black and/or yellow. Oregon’s uniforms are so complex with so many combinations, but the thing is the black stuff was only designed to go with yellow stuff because they excluded green from them, and white and green stuff doesn’t have black in them. 

23 minutes ago, dont care said:

Notre dame can get away with it because those pants and helmet are so simple they can go with any color jersey because pants and helmets (to a lesser extent) are traditionally secondary colors. Oregon’s don’t work because the helmet and pants were clearly designed to go with a black or yellow jersey, also white so long as they elements on the jersey are black and/or yellow. Oregon’s uniforms are so complex with so many combinations, but the thing is the black stuff was only designed to go with yellow stuff because they excluded green from them, and white and green stuff doesn’t have black in them. 

That’s some weak sauce for your justification on why Notre Dame can “get away with it” but the Ducks can’t. The Ducks’ black helmets and pants don’t need green on them to work with the green jerseys, because the bright yellow is prominently featured on both the helmets and jerseys and is present on the pants and cleats as well. Yellow is the primary accent color on each piece and is threaded through the whole combination to tie it all together. Would the black helmets and pants look more cohesive with the yellow jerseys or with black jerseys? Absolutely, but in my mind they still look cohesive with the green jerseys because of that strong yellow accent. Again, if the black helmets and pants had silver or white accents, then there would be a problem and the combo wouldn’t be cohesive at all. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

Interesting observation from Tennessee and their use of patches:

For years, Tennessee wore the SEC patch opposite the Nike swoosh. All SEC teams wear it in this manner aside from Florida and LSU.

spacer.png

For the 2019 season, they added the 150th season of college football patch on the same side as the SEC patch.

spacer.png

Last year, Tennessee had a bit of a patch-o-rama and added both a social justice patch as well as what looks like a memorial patch. This caused them to move the SEC patch above the swoosh. An unusual location but understandable given the other patches they needed room for.

spacer.png

This year, Tennessee is not wearing the other patches. Plenty of room to return the SEC patch back to its usual home, right? Nope. Looks like they simply ripped off the old patches and called it a day.

spacer.png

——————

Michigan State is wearing helmets with a block S on one side and nothing on the other side. Bizarre.

Watching Colorado vs Arizona State right now. Arizona State is wearing yellow/yellow/maroon and I'm okay with it. The yellow socks and shoes may be a bit overkill, but overall I like what I see.

Hotter Than July > Thriller

3 hours ago, Germanshepherd said:

Michigan State’s block S on one side is an homage to how it was worn in the 80’s, because its coach used to play for the Steelers. 

I think they should have worn the entire uniform from that era instead of just the helmet.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

20 hours ago, alecgoff said:

After watching Notre Dame play today in their shamrock series makes me think they should use the same sparkling fabric that the Vegas Golden Knights use on their thirds. This way their pants will actually match the shine on their beautiful helmets.Screen-Shot-2021-09-25-at-2-36-26-PM.png

USATSI-152kjjn72779.png

It’s not a fabric you’d ever want to make a pair of pants with, especially not a pair of pants that hug the body. It’d be like rubbing your legs with fine sandpaper for three hours.

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

If there's one thing I never want anybody to bring back full time, it's Michigan State's block S.

To put my two cents in on the Oregon uniforms since I'm sure everybody was waiting: Not a fan. Now, you don't need to have every single color represented in every piece of a uniform for it to work (the old-school Rams unis we all liked don't have white on the helmets or jerseys despite being on the pants), but those elements need to fit together somehow, and I just don't think the Oregon set really did that.

I thought the Ducks’ unis looked great in action last night. Green tights and socks would’ve been a nice addition to better balance out the jerseys, but I still thought the new black helmets complimented the green jerseys really nicely. Certainly not their best home combo, but a nice look under the lights with ample use of school colors. Really excited to see these black helmets and pants paired with the yellow jerseys later in the season.
spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

I think the whole Oregon issue is this: from a solely front view it looked like straight black, green and yellow, then straight black (as shown in the picture of the players running onto the field). If look from the back with the wings and the O on the helmet with the yellow numbers, it all looks cohesive. I think if the helmet had a yellow facemask and more yellow details on the pants, the uniform would be more cohesive in all views.

1 hour ago, kb105 said:

I think the whole Oregon issue is this: from a solely front view it looked like straight black, green and yellow, then straight black (as shown in the picture of the players running onto the field). If look from the back with the wings and the O on the helmet with the yellow numbers, it all looks cohesive. I think if the helmet had a yellow facemask and more yellow details on the pants, the uniform would be more cohesive in all views.

I think this is a pretty valid criticism, and I definitely agree that more yellow details on the pants (even just the ‘O’ on the hip like the green and white pants have) would’ve been a positive addition. I’m really glad they didn’t go with yellow facemasks, though, because the one time they wore yellow masks with black lids (in 2016), I really wasn’t much of a fan. They stood out a little too much, and I think with the yellow wings on these new helmets there would’ve been a little too much yellow. 

IPTMMN0.png?1

RhlTL5V.png?1

8CBx12E.png?1

7 hours ago, upperV03 said:

I thought the Ducks’ unis looked great in action last night. Green tights and socks would’ve been a nice addition to better balance out the jerseys, but I still thought the new black helmets complimented the green jerseys really nicely. Certainly not their best home combo, but a nice look under the lights with ample use of school colors. Really excited to see these black helmets and pants paired with the yellow jerseys later in the season.
spacer.png

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

As far as Oregon goes, I liked this combo. It reminded me of this one, which I also liked.

spacer.png

4 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Kent State and Maryland went color vs color in College Park yesterday. Would be great... save for the fact that it was black vs graphite. Was very confused when I first saw the matchup. 

IMG_9892sm-768x432.jpg

If you consider black and grey as colors sure it was color vs color

On 6/2/2021 at 1:12 PM, SSmith48 said:

Up next on the list of teams adding a new helmet: Florida State in an all-white getup, which seems to be all the rage nowadays. Not a big fan. It needs some more gold to keep it consistent with the rest of the uniform.

Why do I really like those socks?

Archived