JG36’s Hand-Drawn English Premier League

JG36

I’ve returned! Not that I was too notable on the boards, but I haven’t been active on this site for over a year. However, I recently got back on here and was inspired to make some concepts. I had an idea of a way to make some kits, something that I don’t think I’ve seen on here before for hand-drawn concepts (FYI, I do things hand-drawn because of what’s available to me and because of preference, I enjoy art and sports logos and uniforms so I combine my two likings to do hand-drawn concepts.) Basically, the process is that I print out an image of a full body player wearing their 20-21 kit. Then, I cut out just the kit part and trace it, then create my design, and when I’m finished, I lay the image over, and hence I call it “Hand-Drawn Photoshop.” I will also include the version without the player to highlight the actual kit. I thought this was a cool way to show the kit in live action, and also to work on my shading and realism skills as I improve my artistic abilities. Because of the long weekend, I’ve had time to work on some. However, I have a busy schedule so I cannot promise how fast updates will be after I release the ones I have completed, or if this will even be a series, I may just limit it to these and be finished, though I would like to continue and do some more. Well, that was a long intro, so here is the first team!

Manchester City FC

Shirt Sponsor: Etihad Airways

Sleeve Sponsor: Nexen Tire

Player Model: Kevin De Bruyne

I am a fan of the current home kit, but I also really like the previous ones without patterns. For this kit, I looked to the club badge, and the alternating light blue stripes on the bottom half, and used this on the bottom half of the jersey, with a gradient. There’s also a very good chance that the Citizens win the treble or even the quadruple this year, and for design’s sake let’s say they do (sadly). I outfitted the sponsor and neckline in gold to represent this unprecedented triumph, as I really enjoy when gold is applied to any team in any sport who’s just won, like the World Series champion’s Opening Day uniforms.

C+C is welcomed, next team will be up tomorrow!

spacer.png

spacer.png

Quite a nice drawing, and it's a fun idea to overlay it on a photo. Is the gold meant to be more of a yellow "athletic gold," which I think pairs well with light blue, or a metallic gold like they do for the World Series, which feels more championy? I can never tell with gold pencils 😅

24 minutes ago, vtgco said:

Quite a nice drawing, and it's a fun idea to overlay it on a photo. Is the gold meant to be more of a yellow "athletic gold," which I think pairs well with light blue, or a metallic gold like they do for the World Series, which feels more championy? I can never tell with gold pencils 😅

Haha, yeah the gold is more of an athletic gold I would say, not super bright but not golden, however I outlined the sponsor and numbers in black which makes it more readable, but also darkens it slightly. In the end, I think it turned out to be sort of a combo of those, but I would say lighter, I think super metallic might’ve been too dark for the light blue. 

Liverpool FC

Shirt Sponsor: Standard Chartered

Sleeve Sponsor: Expedia

Player Model: Trent Alexander-Arnold

I really like what Nike has put out for Liverpool this season, simple and classic. Wasn’t too big of a fan of what New Balance did for them. However, I still wanted to incorporate some design and not just copy the current kit. For this, I looked to the Liver bird, the symbol of the City of Liverpool which features on the logo of the Liverpool City Council and the Liverpool FC badge. I added a dark red/pink-ish feather design to the sleeves and the sides of the jersey, and to the shorts, though it isn’t visible. The neckline is also the same color. The Standard Chartered sponsor logo is also updated to what it will be on the 21-22 Liverpool kits. 

C+C is welcomed, next team will be up tomorrow! 

spacer.png

JTNzbku.jpg

I'd be curious to just see a straight on drawing of the pattern, because from the angle and distance you have right now it mostly looks like white 2000s piping.  Also, I assume the green on the socks wouldn't present in your vision. Anyways, it's an interesting idea to include subtle pink details on a red jersey... might be nice!

4 hours ago, Megildur said:

I don't know much about soccer design, unfortunately, but I like these and I like your style. The meshing of hand-drawn and the photos are impressive too, and your level of detail earns my respect! Well done

Thank you! 

1 hour ago, vtgco said:

I'd be curious to just see a straight on drawing of the pattern, because from the angle and distance you have right now it mostly looks like white 2000s piping.  Also, I assume the green on the socks wouldn't present in your vision. Anyways, it's an interesting idea to include subtle pink details on a red jersey... might be nice!

Thanks! Maybe at some point I will do just a template version, but I think what you might be seeing is where the red meets the pink, I wanted it to be visible so there ended up unintentionally being a lighter pink line which I liked how that turned out.  And your right, the socks would be different, I considered doing socks but I didn’t feel they were too important to the design, and because cutting them out could mess up the image and all that. 

On to the next!

Tottenham Hotspur FC

Shirt Sponsor: AIA 
Sleeve Sponsor: Cinch

Player Model: Harry Kane

Now onto the club I support. I’ve come to like the current kit, but mainly that’s just because my team wears it and I’ve seen it since September. I looked more to the 2017-18 and 2019-20 kits that were just white with navy, that’s it, I like the simplicity of them. However, that’s not really much of a concept if it was just a white jersey with navy shorts, and that would be too simple and easy to do. So, I was inspired by France’s 2018 white clash kit and the pattern featured on it, and did something similar here, then washed over it with white pencil. I added navy to the sleeves, neckline, and a gradient pattern on the shoulders. Now, navy is tricky to do when there are no navy colored pencils, especially when the color paired with it is the same as the paper, but I think I worked it out. 

That’s all of the ones I have already completed. My spare time is limited, especially for the next month, so if I get to 1-2 per week I’ll be happy with that. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

56 minutes ago, JG36 said:

And your right, the socks would be different, I considered doing socks but I didn’t feel they were too important to the design, and because cutting them out could mess up the image and all that

Fair enough. The jersey and shorts look hard enough to draw! :P

56 minutes ago, JG36 said:

Maybe at some point I will do just a template version

I don't think that's necessary, but maybe just a small square of the pattern, straight-on with no wrinkles would be nice. The format you've got is so unique that I'd hate to discourage it with my nitpicking!

Your gradient drawing skills are impressive, and Tottenham turned out beautifully. I like the little blue speckles on the body of the shirt; it's a nice touch!

Archived