Jump to content

Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series


Recommended Posts

33 minutes ago, Anubis2051 said:

MLB Store on 6th already pushing a ton of new merch for these one-offs

spacer.png

spacer.png

 

EDIT -- also worth noting, the jerseys appear to be screen printed. They're not patches. The sleeve patch is real though.

 

This looks like the ucla bookstore was vandalized by someone with a boston stencil.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I don't know why everyone is freaking out. I like them. They have significance because of the flag and the marathon's finish line, and in my opinion, I think they look nice with the colors. I'll probably still buy it because I like it but you all are entitled to your own opinion.

 

I just hope they don't :censored: up the Nats one in a few years with the "DC is only the capital and nothing else" bs.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I just think the Red Sox should always wear red and navy and use their fonts. That’s it! It’s a brand not worth changing. The occasional green thing has somehow worked, but no more.

 

I don’t think they need to have a marathon alternate to be friends with the marathon, any more than the marathon needs to deviate from its established course and have its finish line at Fenway because that would be nice and Boston-y.

 

(Plus that ramshackle alt they put together after the bombing already has become the day’s alternate, anyway. This feels like Nike saw that and said “ah but we’re not making money off that nice gesture”.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, washingtonspride said:

I don't know why everyone is freaking out. I like them. They have significance because of the flag and the marathon's finish line, and in my opinion, I think they look nice with the colors. I'll probably still buy it because I like it but you all are entitled to your own opinion.

 

I just hope they don't :censored: up the Nats one in a few years with the "DC is only the capital and nothing else" bs.

I’d be okay with something similar to this-

spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

53 minutes ago, Digby said:

I just think the Red Sox should always wear red and navy and use their fonts. That’s it! It’s a brand not worth changing. The occasional green thing has somehow worked, but no more.

 

I don’t think they need to have a marathon alternate to be friends with the marathon, any more than the marathon needs to deviate from its established course and have its finish line at Fenway because that would be nice and Boston-y.

 

(Plus that ramshackle alt they put together after the bombing already has become the day’s alternate, anyway. This feels like Nike saw that and said “ah but we’re not making money off that nice gesture”.)

 

All cross-sport uniform tie ins are best left to the concepts boards and should never see the playing field. With that being said, I think the marathon should reciprocate and have the runners wear knickers, stirrups, and spikes.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

First of all, this is just a one-off. It’s not replacing the regular uniforms. They’re still the Red Sox, they’re still red/white/blue. The City Connect uniform, as the name implies, is supposed to represent the CITY, not just the team. I know this board is for uniform enthusiasts, but it’s getting more like an echo chamber for those who can’t stand anything different then the way things were in their childhoods.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm late to comment, but...

 

I'm already seeing people justify this by saying "it's only two games!" Except, you don't put the toothpaste back into the tube. Sure, it's two games for the Red Sox. This season. Let's see how many games it is next season. And there are at least 3-4 other teams this season doing the same thing.

 

Keep in mind: the NBA once claimed having ads on their jerseys was just going to be a one-season experiment. The NHL is claiming ads on their helmets will just be for this season. Nike is claiming these alternates will be limited to two games. I don't believe a word of it. It's here, we are going to be seeing MLB have as many jersey combinations as in the NBA. Whether this is good or bad is up to you to decide. But it's here.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Everyone’s gonna hate on this program regardless because “I can’t even tell who’s playing!!”, especially since baseball is such a traditional sport. But I think a program like this makes a lot of sense. They play a ton of games, and the interest in the sport isn’t exactly booming. I’ll take this over the poorly made players weekend jerseys, or the spring training hat disasters. If anything, at least we will have something to talk about over the next few years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BigRed618 said:

First of all, this is just a one-off. It’s not replacing the regular uniforms. They’re still the Red Sox, they’re still red/white/blue. The City Connect uniform, as the name implies, is supposed to represent the CITY, not just the team. I know this board is for uniform enthusiasts, but it’s getting more like an echo chamber for those who can’t stand anything different then the way things were in their childhoods.

People said this same exact thing after the Players Weekend uniforms were first announced. "It's only one series!" So what's next?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Krz said:

I’ll take this over the poorly made players weekend jerseys, or the spring training hat disasters. If anything, at least we will have something to talk about over the next few years.

 

You say that as if it's one over the others.  It'll probably be all of them plus a few.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Marlins93 said:

People said this same exact thing after the Players Weekend uniforms were first announced. "It's only one series!" So what's next?

Do you really believe the Red Sox will change their colors over this? No?

You all need to face the fact that a few good looking jerseys and a few awful ones will not change an already well established brand identity. These will not become primary jerseys, and if they do, it will not be the end of all sports.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.