Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

Id like to see teams not all under the same uni distributor, like how the nba in the early 00s had, Reebok, Puma, and Nike all making gear. Every time had their own identity, now nike being the brand sponsor the 3 biggest leagues in the country everything is looking bland and uniform.

I think it's kind of crazy that we're holding the MLB to some high standard like these City Connect uniforms are what's going to doom the league's uniform aesthetic. Remember when holidays and special events just meant your favorite team was going to wear a different hat? Now, we have full blown uniform alternates for Mother's Day, Father's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Player's Weekend. They don't even keep the same template year to year & change it just enough so fans keep spending money on the merchandise. Hell, Jackie Robinson Day now has special hats with a Jackie Robinson patch. It's all a cash grab.

Nike isn't doing anything that hasn't already been done in the MLB. I guess I'm not really bothered by it because as a White Sox fan, I see them trot out their black alternates on the road more than I see the gray aways. At this point, it doesn't bother me anymore because it's where we're at and there's no changing it. That's unless fans don't buy the replica jerseys, hats, t-shirts, and whatever else they're selling to market this initiative. But, something tells me that's not going to happen. They're fine as an alternate & I'm sure when you compare them to the rest of the city identities, they'll be one of the better looking sets that MLB/Nike put out.

6 minutes ago, Chicageaux said:

I think it's kind of crazy that we're holding the MLB to some high standard like these City Connect uniforms are what's going to doom the league's uniform aesthetic. Remember when holidays and special events just meant your favorite team was going to wear a different hat? Now, we have full blown uniform alternates for Mother's Day, Father's Day, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, and Player's Weekend. They don't even keep the same template year to year & change it just enough so fans keep spending money on the merchandise. Hell, Jackie Robinson Day now has special hats with a Jackie Robinson patch. It's all a cash grab.

Nike isn't doing anything that hasn't already been done in the MLB. I guess I'm not really bothered by it because as a White Sox fan, I see them trot out their black alternates on the road more than I see the gray aways. At this point, it doesn't bother me anymore because it's where we're at and there's no changing it. That's unless fans don't buy the replica jerseys, hats, t-shirts, and whatever else they're selling to market this initiative. But, something tells me that's not going to happen. They're fine as an alternate & I'm sure when you compare them to the rest of the city identities, they'll be one of the better looking sets that MLB/Nike put out.

They've actually gone back to just a patch for most of these now. But nothing was as bad as those black and white Big League Weekend outfits.

9 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

But couldn’t you also make the argument that changing the colors of a team’s actual lettering and shoehorning national or state flag patterns into it is more damaging to the brand than simply wearing a different jersey altogether? Like, how is the intentional defacement of the team indicia any better than an intentional departure from it?

you could make that argument, but I think departing from the brand standards can be okay if it’s done with intention and care. I’m a Red Sox fan and I wouldn’t go near either the yellow jersey or the baby blue script one, mind you. But something like the O’s flag script, or if this jersey was more like the classic Red Sox look in marathon colors; that can read more as collaboration. This doesn’t look like collaboration at all, it looks like a generic Boston team designed for a TV show.

you go too far in the other direction and it could be anyone. Sure you’ve saved the regular Sox brand from desecration, but you also may show up to Fenway and think you’ve stumbled across one of those random college games they play at the big league park with UMass Boston as the home team. (The state of the Red Sox roster may also push you to this conclusion.) I don’t think that’s any good at all.

13 hours ago, washingtonspride said:

No, that's boring. You will never, and I mean NEVER, attract young and new fans with that mindset. If you keep thinking like that before you know it all baseball fans will be senile and in their 80's.

The boring old baseball cap remains popular and probably the most enduring contribution of sports to wider fashion. Even among the youngs.

Baseball’s staid tradition-humping is absolutely a problem going forward, but I don’t think handing a yellow jersey to the Red Sox is going to fix it. I’d rather they wear the usual jerseys but keep the games from going 3.5 hours nightly and also get the Fenway Faithful to stop yelling the n-word at players.

25 minutes ago, Digby said:

you could make that argument, but I think departing from the brand standards can be okay if it’s done with intention and care. I’m a Red Sox fan and I wouldn’t go near either the yellow jersey or the baby blue script one, mind you. But something like the O’s flag script, or if this jersey was more like the classic Red Sox look in marathon colors; that can read more as collaboration. This doesn’t look like collaboration at all, it looks like a generic Boston team designed for a TV show. The boring old baseball cap remains popular and probably the most enduring contribution of sports to wider fashion. Even among the youngs. Baseball’s staid tradition-humping is absolutely a problem going forward, but I don’t think handing a yellow jersey to the Red Sox is going to fix it. I’d rather they wear the usual jerseys but keep the games from going 3.5 hours nightly and also get the Fenway Faithful to stop yelling the n-word at players.

That's the big thing. Do people in Boston look at the wordmark and say, "I know why they did that, it's to tie in with the marathon"? If so, then they've hit their intended mark. If people in Boston aren't picking up on that then what's the next step to get those ties to stand out more? As far as the baseball hat, maybe placing the marathon logo on the side would've helped clarify the link as well? That could also be a trademark issue that they weren't able to use the actual logos from the Boston Marathon. 

12 hours ago, washingtonspride said:

I'd prefer more like home/road(at least with a lighter grey than what most teams use currently)/alt1/alt2, and maybe a one-off here and there. I agree that they did not do Boston well but I think that it's better than some of the other one-off jerseys (maybe even some current roads and alts imo).

I really don’t think you know anything about baseball aesthetics and are simply being a Nike Stan here. Especially since you want them to go to an even lighter grey for the away that at that point would just be off white.

11 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Plus, most NBA teams don’t really stray too far away from their core identity with their alternate uniforms.

*ahem

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

10 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

Parks And Recreation Reaction GIF

But couldn’t you also make the argument that changing the colors of a team’s actual lettering and shoehorning national or state flag patterns into it is more damaging to the brand than simply wearing a different jersey altogether? Like, how is the intentional defacement of the team indicia any better than an intentional departure from it?

Well I think part of the reason why this intentional departure is seen so negatively from a uniform perspective is that uniforms are chiefly a means of identification for the viewer, and because these are such a radically different design than their traditional uniform set, coupled with them using the same colors as a team who *also* uses their B on the hat, makes everything muddled. Sure, holiday uniforms can be gross in their templating and can make it difficult from many instances to figure out who is who, but the baseball "purists" were mostly fine with it due to white being at home and grey being the away. With these uniforms, there is no visual distinction for identification from a far distance or non-close up TV broadcast. 

Also, the most annoying thing is how they've marketed this scheme. If they owned up to the fact that they don't care about a team's identity when designing these "city" uniforms, then that would be one thing, but this is a direct quote from their press release.

"the [Nike and MLB] relationship would help guide one of the most historic visual connections in sports: the bond between baseball club identities and their fans."

They literally just don't do that! Just having the players wear the jerseys isn't reason alone to say that you're "guiding the visual connection" between a team and city, and the only representation of Red Sox branding reads as a university 3000 miles away. Having said that, I think that in a vaccum, the jersey is just fineAside from the brand departure, they played it really safe in the composition, which is kind of a bummer. If you're gonna make people mad, then go all in, you know?

41 minutes ago, dont care said:

And that’s less than 1/10 of all the possible example you can post.

Brooklyn's managed to do that with two of their uniforms this last year. 

Nike Uniforms | Brooklyn NetsBrooklyn Nets City Edition Jersey, where to buy

1 hour ago, dont care said:

I really don’t think you know anything about baseball aesthetics and are simply being a Nike Stan here. Especially since you want them to go to an even lighter grey for the away that at that point would just be off white.

Don't you mean...

39740_skeleton-is--70569649.jpg_b7efa7ab

bone?

14 hours ago, DNAsports said:

As an example, personally I think the Orioles are doing just fine with this set

spacer.png

plus their now traditional Maryland Day alts that are only worn for one game a year

spacer.png
spacer.png

spacer.png

I've never seen these before today...wowza. I think I like the idea of it; I don't know which came before what, if the bottom pic is of a later year than the top two or not. But that Maryland flag pattern (which btw is the single coolest flag pattern ever and its not even close), or any pattern that intricate, for that matter, really is not conducive to applying to scripts/numbers; its far more effective on larger swaths (like those cap brims and I'll even take the patterned sleeves). That said, the next time they do that they should either swap out all the orange for red or swap out all the red for orange; having red and orange on there together is a bit much. 

Saying that a one-off uniform ruins the look of MLB is a huge reach. The City Connect Uniform Series is meant to celebrate the city through the team. Not the team itself.

Yeah I think it's time for some clarity: on its own, the [Boston] City Connect jersey is what it is, this time. (I understand what it's based on; I just don't know that it works in present guise.) That on its own won't ruin either the Sox's or MLB's established aesthetic. Rather, it's whatever else is in the pipeline (and we all know they're sitting up there cooking stuff up even now) that this City Connect stuff may open the floodgates to that could water down  brand integrity if either MLB or the teams (or both) don't keep a tight grip on it. That's my concern, anyway; we just watched it happen in the NBA, where what started as one simple City alternate ballooned into a bunch of other stuff (though to be fair, we can trace the trillion-alts thing back to LeBron's first rodeo in Cleveland with the whole CavFanatic thing), not to mention the NFL (though thankfully not near to the degree) with what started as a Thursday Night Color Rush became a "wear it whenever day you want" alternate. 

(To be totally transparent, though, I think this is messing with me more, specifically regarding Boston,  due to the recent trip I took there, to the city and specifically to Fenway, where in a [sports] world full of shifting aesthetics and seemingly degrading integrity, both Fenway and the Red Sox look stand as true time-tested pillars of heritage and tradition, which increased the value so much in my eyes I ended up copping a cap, lanyard, decals and jersey for myself. I'd hate to see that become devalued chasing after cash grabs--but I also have no control over that as I ain't no kind of brass over there, so...🤷‍♂️)

8 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

The Braves will be sporting their "GEORGIA PRIDE" peach-themed jerseys, which feature a peach seamless pattern on peach fabric, along with a cool matching peach-colored cap, of course.

I ain't even gonna front--I wouldn't mind seeing something like that, a peach-colored jersey and/or pants or something (kinda like how ATLUTD was supposed to do--okay we all hoped they would). That said, given the current state of affairs in the Peach State right now, I don't think we gon' be seeing any kind of PRIDE anything for a good minute...

1 hour ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

I still to this day don't know what the point of that one was...

spacer.png

This at least has a bona fide connection to thr city. It does help when the city/municipality has bona fide iconography to draw from, which is certainly true in this case. And speaking of...

spacer.png

This and it's predecessor is still to this day the single coolest alt in the history of alts and it ain't even close. 

1 hour ago, dont care said:

I really don’t think you know anything about baseball aesthetics and are simply being a Nike Stan here.

What? Lmao if I like the jersey I'm gonna buy it I don't give a s**t if it's Nike or Adidas or some weird discolored chinese knockoff. If I have the money, and I like the jersey, I will buy it.

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Some people like these, some people don’t. Bottom line.

Good grief.

Yeah cool, you figured out opinions. 

Now try to understand why so many people have issues here instead of being a contrarian. 

*AHEM*

spacer.png

still utilizes official team colors

spacer.png

still utilizes official team colors and logo

spacer.png

spacer.png
Boy, none of those make the Trailblazers look like the Trailblazers

spacer.png

spacer.png

Surely these can’t be the Wizards?

spacer.png

Still uses official team colors

spacer.png

Oh no, a fauxback!

10 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Yeah cool, you figured out opinions. 

Now try to understand why so many people have issues here instead of being a contrarian. 

I understand why people are having issues with it and I know these are valid opinions, but it’s a bit extreme for anyone to say the City Connect Series devalues the MLB brand when all its trying to do is showcase the city the team plays in instead of the team itself.