Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

On 4/6/2021 at 11:55 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Oh come on... are people really thinking or worried that this is Nike's way of changing a team's primary uniforms? This is like Players Weekend uniforms, an occasional alternate to sell merchandise... this isn't a revamping of an entire uniform set

Yeah, but Players Weekend was a dumb idea too.  

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Saying that a one-off uniform ruins the look of MLB is a huge reach.

Dude, literally no one is saying that. No one said a "one-off uniform" ruins the MLB. What everyone is saying is that if you believe this is a simple "one-off"  and not the start of a trend, you're being astonishingly gullible.

6 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

You could give me a dozen guesses and I'd have no shot a telling you what team this is. NONE.

If I was a fan of this boneheaded franchise, I'd be pissed.

4 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Dude, literally no one is saying that. No one said a "one-off uniform" ruins the MLB. What everyone is saying is that if you believe this is a simple "one-off"  and not the start of a trend, you're being astonishingly gullible.

You could give me a dozen guesses and I'd have no shot a telling you what team this is. NONE.

If I was a fan of this boneheaded franchise, I'd be pissed.

I think alot of the Hawks fans loved it. Peach tree was a giveaway as well. 

2 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

I think this would have been confusing in red and blue. You’d lose the connection to the marathon...

The whole idea is dumb. They aren't The City of Boston Baseball Team or the Boston Marathons.

They're the Red Sox, and they should look like the Red Sox. 

The Red Sox wearing blue and yellow is like making the Leafs wear eggplant and teal because "it's unique and new for them". Like sure, it looks neat, but the Toronto Maple Leafs are not an eggplant-and-teal brand, y'know? 😛

They could have made these just BP jerseys and they would have been fine. No need for it to be worn on the field. I obviously don't have the sales numbers, but I think the NHL does just fine with the Cancer/Camo/Black History/etc warmup jerseys that they're still able to sell without wearing them in a game.

No one is going to have any idea that's a Red Sox jersey in the street, even some baseball fans probably won't. People will think it's a softball or some high school/college jersey.

1 hour ago, walkerws said:

I think alot of the Hawks fans loved it. Peach tree was a giveaway as well. 

The Hawks? Oh, ok.  How exactly was Peach tree a giveaway?

Doesn't say Hawks. Doesn't say Atlanta. No red. No yellow. Not even a team logo. That uniform makes me want to punch somebody in the face. (Which, for the record, I would never do.)

On 4/6/2021 at 11:55 AM, SilverBullet1929 said:

Oh come on... are people really thinking or worried that this is Nike's way of changing a team's primary uniforms? This is like Players Weekend uniforms, an occasional alternate to sell merchandise... this isn't a revamping of an entire uniform set

I mean, that’s sort of what the City program in the NBA has done. One of the teams I follow has used their traditional road jersey maybe 20% of the time compared to 40%+ for the City jersey. Along with the terrible “Statement” jersey (fortunately not every teams Statement jersey is bad), the traditional home and roads have basically been relegated to afterthoughts.

Admittedly MLB has double the games of a typical NBA season, so I don’t think this will happen for baseball, but it can be a slippery slope.

I still can’t digest this move (other than money and press) as far as aesthetics go. This is MiLB crap like the Durham Bulls becoming the cervasa for a dozen games and wearing neon green. Might as well call them the Boston marathons for those games. A game, alright. A weekend, uh, um ok. An alternate. Go to hell. Again, I’ll state people would lose their mind for a dodger or yankee blue jersey, but you’re supposed to be cool with Yankees wearing a pizza uniform for a dozen games for years to come? No thanks.

KISSwall09.jpg

14 minutes ago, hormone said:

I still can’t digest this move (other than money and press) as far as aesthetics go. This is MiLB crap like the Durham Bulls becoming the cervasa for a dozen games and wearing neon green. Might as well call them the Boston marathons for those games. A game, alright. A weekend, uh, um ok. An alternate. Go to hell. Again, I’ll state people would lose their mind for a dodger or yankee blue jersey, but you’re supposed to be cool with Yankees wearing a pizza uniform for a dozen games for years to come? No thanks.

Pizza Rats will be making their foray into the big leagues in no time.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

The Hawks? Oh, ok.  How exactly was Peach tree a giveaway?

Doesn't say Hawks. Doesn't say Atlanta. No red. No yellow. Not even a team logo. That uniform makes me want to punch somebody in the face. (Which, for the record, I would never do.)

There technically is a team logo on the shorts, but it's been recolored to peach and white and is quite honestly hard to see. As for "Peachtree", it is well-known in Atlanta and there are like 70 or so streets named Peachtree. I'm not defending the jersey, but I do think there are better examples to pull from (like the Hawks' MLK ones).

the user formerly known as cdclt

2 hours ago, guest23 said:

Pizza Rats will be making their foray into the big leagues in no time.

Not a chance. The Yankees brass hated that name so much that it damaged the relationship with the Staten Island Yankees to the point where they cut the team as soon as they could.

Anubis.png

1 hour ago, QCS said:

"Peachtree" is well-known in Atlanta and there are like 70 or so streets named Peachtree. I'm not defending the jersey, but I do think there are better examples to pull from (like the Hawks' MLK ones).

Well, I didn't pull that particular jersey, I just saw it in someone else's post and asked myself the obvious question, "who the holy hell is that team?"  I have no doubt you're correct, there probably are quite a few NBA crappy city-whatevers that would be just as unrecognizable. I'm pretty sure that fact makes the whole thing worse, not better. 

Wait, are you saying there are 70 streets in Atlanta named Peachtree? Seriously? That can't be. What is the suicide rate for local Uber drivers? And they put the name of a street on the jersey? Beyond dumb. I'm patiently awaiting the new Pistons' city-mumbo-jumbo jersey wit a picture of a coney dog on the front.  

On 4/7/2021 at 1:21 PM, Anubis2051 said:

MLB Store on 6th already pushing a ton of new merch for these "one-offs"

spacer.png

spacer.png

EDIT -- also worth noting, the jerseys appear to be screen printed. They're not patches. The sleeve patch is real though.

Lettering looks sewn on to me. Maybe they have replicas for sale, not Authentics. 

Eyd43UVXAAAY0j1?format=jpg&name=medium

Saw an article somewhere about the Red Sox City Connect jerseys and their price, and had to see for myself... The cheapest version you can get outside of a youth jersey is $135, which is already pushing it. Well, it turns out that the game-replica "authentic" version of the jersey is $435... that is inexcusable for any replica jersey no matter the style. I know jerseys cost a lot, but come on. That's just flat out corporate greed. FOR A BASEBALL JERSEY. $135 I can somewhat understand, but not $300 more than that. Is there anything I am missing as to why they cost this much? 

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

43 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Lettering looks sewn on to me. Maybe they have replicas for sale, not Authentics. 

Eyd43UVXAAAY0j1?format=jpg&name=medium

Ah maybe --- the raglan sleeves in your photo are different from the ones in mine.

Of course worth noting that a blank authentic is a whopping $435 while the replicas are "only" $135

Anubis.png

At that price, wouldn't the market mostly consist of hardcore collectors who pretty much buy anything?

My hunch is that there isn't much of a demand for these gimmicks, including the holiday uniforms. Companies put them on the shelves because they cost little to manufacture and the mark up is huge.

Archived