Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

3 hours ago, SSmith48 said:

Well, it turns out that the game-replica "authentic" version of the jersey is $435

LMAO, I can get an MIC Adidas NHL jersey for less than that.

10 hours ago, IceCap said:

The whole idea is dumb. They aren't The City of Boston Baseball Team or the Boston Marathons.

They're the Red Sox, and they should look like the Red Sox. 

We get it. You hate everything about this because it’s completely unnecessary, just like every single uniform outside a team’s normal home and road uniforms.

However, I’m a realist, and whether you approve or not, this is happening, so we’re going to discuss and critique the design as it exists. That’s what this place is for.

7 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Wait, are you saying there are 70 streets in Atlanta named Peachtree? Seriously? That can't be.

Where I am, street names are assigned to a particular coordinate but don't always continue seamlessly. So there might be 10-20 instances of a particular street name, but they are at the same exact latitude/longitude.

31 minutes ago, Quillz said:

Where I am, street names are assigned to a particular coordinate but don't always continue seamlessly. So there might be 10-20 instances of a particular street name, but they are at the same exact latitude/longitude.

70 is a lot more than 20

5 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

We get it. You hate everything about this because it’s completely unnecessary, just like every single uniform outside a team’s normal home and road uniforms.

How appropriate this is about baseball. 

swing and a miss

5 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

However, I’m a realist

Is that what we're calling it now? 

26 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

There are 15 streets called “Peachtree” within the Atlanta city limits.

But to me, there isn’t value in sports teams turning their brands into local Wikipedia facts. They’re the Hawks, not Peachtree Community College.

It's a miracle that crazy alternates didn't start with baseball, which has the most room in its schedule to accommodate varied looks. Boston looking a tool on a Tuesday is comparatively way less offensive than the Jaguars or Lakers looking like trash for 35 percent of their games.

And yet, because of "tradition," this feels way more offensive because it's baseball, when it should actually be the smallest deal.

13 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Wait, are you saying there are 70 streets in Atlanta named Peachtree? Seriously? That can't be. What is the suicide rate for local Uber drivers? And they put the name of a street on the jersey? Beyond dumb. I'm patiently awaiting the new Pistons' city-mumbo-jumbo jersey wit a picture of a coney dog on the front.  

From Wikipedia: "The Peachtree name is common throughout the Atlanta area. In fact, it is often joked by natives that half of the streets in Atlanta are named Peachtree, and the other half have five names to make up for it. While “Peachtree” alone almost always refers to this street [Peachtree Street, the main one] or its continuations, there are 71 streets in Atlanta with a variant of “Peachtree” in their name."

The purpose of the "city uniform" concept within the NBA and now the MLB is to create a new alternate uniform that isn't necessarily limited by the normal standards of the team's brand while also specifically resonating and appealing to the residents of the city where the team plays. So, if you aren't a resident of Atlanta or Boston, then you aren't necessarily the intended audience of their city uniform. There are pros and cons to that considering that these teams are national products as well as local ones, but that's my understanding of the intention.

Personally, I think that it's a great idea and a fun way to mix it up in relevant ways, but it's become a bit out of control in the NBA due to the lack of uniform matchup regulations. If it were up to me, city uniforms would only be allowed at home within the intended context, and they would be worn a whole lot less.

18 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

You could give me a dozen guesses and I'd have no shot a telling you what team this is. NONE.

If I was a fan of this boneheaded franchise, I'd be pissed.

We get it, the uniform doesn't use red and gold, but there's no need to exaggerate like this. Outside of the previous mentions of how many Peachtree Streets there are in Atlanta, Atlanta is called "The Big Peach" and Georgia is nationally known "The Peach State". Plus if you didn't know that, then team logos are also placed on the shorts.

Again, I understand not liking the general lack of brand control in the NBA today, but the complaints here get so far-fetched and dramatic at times.

3 hours ago, andrewharrington said:

There are 15 streets called “Peachtree” within the Atlanta city limits.

That's with just the name "Peachtree." If you factor in streets that contain the word Peachtree (Peachtree Park, Peachtree Hills, Peachtree Forest, etc.) in their name it jumps up over 70. My favorite of which being Peachtree Battle Avenue.

1 hour ago, henburg said:

We get it

You people who wanna cheerlead this crap need to stop with the faux-putupon "we get it" retort. 

I mean, yes. I do get it. You like this and you're not happy you're the minority, but deal with it. 

"I think it's great because it mixes it up!" 

Cool. Got it. Thanks. 

I- and plenty of others if the thread is any indication- find the idea of a team jettisoning their brand to look nothing like themselves pretty damn disappointing as fans of the sport and its uniforms. 

And yet- as with most cases here- the minority opinion group has resorted to the faux put-upon "you all just don't get it" mentality. 

Nah man. We just don't like this. I'm sorry if that bothers you, but you contrarian sorts wouldn't have anywhere to go without us sheeple to let you know what the unpopular opinion is 😉

1 hour ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

It's a miracle that crazy alternates didn't start with baseball, which has the most room in its schedule to accommodate varied looks.

And more undeveloped real estate to work with than basketball or football jerseys.

4 hours ago, Digby said:

But to me, there isn’t value in sports teams turning their brands into local Wikipedia facts. They’re the Hawks, not Peachtree Community College.

I was just clarifying the actual number for the people who were arguing about it, though I will point out that many people *do* see value in doing that. If you can get a new customer, who may not have much emotional connection to or investment the team’s brand, to spend a couple bills on a city jersey, isn’t that valuable for a business?

If you can use a city jersey to teach the next generation about historical events and figures tied to your region, isn’t that valuable to the community?

43 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

If you can use a city jersey to teach the next generation about historical events and figures tied to your region, isn’t that valuable to the community?

"Why fund social studies when we can have the Red Sox dress in blue and gold twice a year?" is an interesting take to be sure.

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

You people who wanna cheerlead this crap need to stop with the faux-putupon "we get it" retort. 

I mean, yes. I do get it. You like this and you're not happy you're the minority, but deal with it. 

Cool. Got it. Thanks. 

I- and plenty of others if the thread is any indication- find the idea of a team jettisoning their brand to look nothing like themselves pretty damn disappointing as fans of the sport and its uniforms. 

And yet- as with most cases here- the minority opinion group has resorted to the faux put-upon "you all just don't get it" mentality. 

Nah man. We just don't like this. I'm sorry if that bothers you, but you contrarian sorts wouldn't have anywhere to go without us sheeple to let you know what the unpopular opinion is 😉

I don't think of myself as above anybody else whatsoever, my goal is to be as open-minded as possible when discussing this stuff. If anybody reads my posts that way then I apologize, but I can't think of any instances where I've broadcasted my opinions as anything more than that, just one guy's opinion on a board that holds plenty of other ones. I make a point to try and frame my posts within that context and concede other's points wherever I can.

That said, my "We get it" retort is because saying something like "There's zero chance I could ever identify what team this is" is just silly. The underlying point of brand deterioration is valid and still has tons to stand on without making up something patronizing like that.

I don't even disagree with what you or anybody else is saying about teams diverging too far from their brand. I think that the city uniform program is a great idea that has gotten a bit out of control and spread to teams that probably don't even need to participate (like the Red Sox). I don't universally like every city uniform, but I do think that a number of them are really great. That's also why I like posting the creator's side on here, because I feel that it's an important context to keep in mind when discussing these uniforms. Nobody's obligated to have their mind changed by them, but somebody from Canada (for example) not understanding the cultural significance of the Atlanta Hawks city uniform isn't necessarily a good measure of success in what it was aiming to do. In this specific case, I was saying that Atlanta's close ties to Peaches and Peachtree specifically are enough for many to identify the team. I don't intend that explanation to be belittling, but rather a basis for my thinking, and disagreement with that is welcome.

All that said, when I disagree with somebody and feel like talking about it, I'm gonna do that. I don't know why we always have to get in these reply chains where you paint me as an elitist contrarian who just can't handle the opinions of others, and labeling me that way under the guise of being tongue-in-cheek is lame. We don't see eye to eye often and I'm perfectly fine with that, so just leave it at that. 

5 hours ago, IceCap said:

How appropriate this is about baseball. 

swing and a miss

Is that what we're calling it now? 

Solid arguments. I have no defense.

2 hours ago, TalktoChuck said:

That's with just the name "Peachtree." If you factor in streets that contain the word Peachtree (Peachtree Park, Peachtree Hills, Peachtree Forest, etc.) in their name it jumps up over 70. My favorite of which being Peachtree Battle Avenue.

Good call. People were on it all the way back in 1988. 😂

1 hour ago, IceCap said:

Cool. Got it. Thanks. 

“You people?” Coming from a guy who gets bent out of shape when others generalize his opinions, that’s beautiful stuff. 😉

Look. I’m not into critiquing hypotheticals, so I find it annoying when you keep interjecting with the same opinion every other page like we didn’t read it the first time. Yeah, it’d be great if we only had homes and roads and baseball still looked liked baseball, but that’s not reality. The fact is, this thing exists in the real world, and some of us want to have a constructive conversation about it; good, bad, and ugly. You’ve said your piece on the subject, and you’re consistently lacking anything new or productive in your responses. They’re just snark and “I don’t like it, it’s stupid,” paraphrased several times over.

No one said you don’t get it. We all understand you and many others don’t like it, and we all respect that, but it’s a two-way street. If you want to join the debate, welcome, but if you just want to show up and dump the same ol’ shade on people who do like it and those who want to offer different perspectives, then people are going to get annoyed... because it’s annoying.

We do, indeed, get it, and despite what you may believe, no one gives a lick about their opinions being “unpopular.” They just want to be able to discuss these things without a broken record screeching in their ear.