Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

This would make a great UCLA uniform.... But yeah, let's put the RED Sox in light blue and yellow. JHC man...

Regarding the other teams doing it, I think the only one that will probably look better than they currently do will be the Marlins. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i meeeeean...i'm not a fan. not that a "city" program is necessarily a bad thing, but like the NBA, i don't get venturing so far off a team's respective identity package. blue and yellow for the red sox? it's dumb.

also, we've had some discussion about this on the MLB 2021 thread, but if we're putting the pieces together here, it feels like it's pretty clear the mets' black jerseys will be their "city" design just moved forward by a year...and i think it'll probably be different than the original.

sig2024.png

9 minutes ago, MDGP said:

Light blue and yellow are the official city colors. Doesn't make it any less :censored:ing stupid though. An organization dumb enough to trade its best player in 60 years naturally is dumb enough to do this.

1200px-Flag_of_Boston.svg.png

Watch it be worn vs the A’s lol

18 minutes ago, MJD7 said:

Oh dear ... 

Personally, I’d like it as a fashion jersey. I’m not sure how I feel about the Red Sox wearing it, though.

Just burn it all to the ground.

*fires up MLB The Show 2024*

*Selects Cubs*

*Goes to uniform select*

*Cycles through over two dozen uniforms and a couple hundred combinations*

"OK, looks like I'm going with the home pinstripes."

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

If you aren't well versed in the whole Patriot's Day celebration in Boston, it's the third Monday of April and the Red Sox hold the only scheduled morning game in baseball at 11:00. The Boston Marathon runs concurrently and the fans spill out of Fenway after the game into Kenmore square where they cheer on the runners as they make their way down the final mile and a half of the race course.

The Sox debuted new home jerseys for the day in 2014, replacing the Tuscan "Red Sox" on the front with "Boston".

These new Nike ones draw from the Marathon, using their colors and the stenciled font similar to the one used on the finish line. One their own, they aren't bad. But it's a huge design departure for the Red Sox and once you're beyond the jerseys, the accessories have a very strong UCLA knockoff vive.

patriotssignature.png

9 minutes ago, ScubaSteve said:

We all have grown a little tired of the NBA trotting these out each season but clearly the MLB and NHL (with reverse retro) have been watching and seeing some serious opportunities to cash in. If the NFL does axe the one-helmet rule soon, you'll know exactly why

At least the NHL RR's have relevance to the team's history. What this is and most of what NBA does feature absolutely nothing close. 

XM4KeeA.png

I mean, as long as this isn't replacing their usual uniforms then whatever. Stuff like this was coming to MLB anyways. I can't say I'm not curious what the other team's designs will look like. And as someone said, these are better then the Players Weekend uniforms. And decades ago we saw the Turn Ahead The Clock uniforms and people hated it but it's not like any MLB teams switched to those uniforms full time. So as a one off here and there, oh well, at least hopefully they look good and judging by this Red Sox one, they're not ugly.

Unlike most people, I don't mind "city jerseys," but this feels like a first draft in need of refinement. They should have at least made a stenciled version of their normal road wordmark instead of a generic sans-serif font, and not drastically changed the color scheme to reference an obscure city flag that nobody knows about.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

18 minutes ago, insert name said:

At least the NHL RR's have relevance to the team's history. What this is and most of what NBA does feature absolutely nothing close. 

But that's the point, they're not supposed to be about team history, they're about the city/community that the team represents. They're very blatantly telling you this is about the city of Boston, not about the Boston Red Sox baseball team history.

"They should have at least made a stenciled version of their normal road wordmark instead of a generic sans-serif font, and not drastically changed the color scheme to reference an obscure city flag that nobody knows about."

After the Marathon bombings, anyone around here who didn't know the flag colors quickly found out what they were. It's a prominent scheme come Marathon time.

patriotssignature.png

1 hour ago, SportsLogos.Net News said:

Red Sox Wear Yellow, Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series for 2021

April 6, 2021 - 14:00 PM

For those who wondered when Nike would start to make its mark on Major League Baseball, wonder no more. After previously introducing “ColorRush” and “City” uniforms to the NFL and NBA respectively, this morning Nike has dropped its new “City Connect” series on the baseball world. Just one team will

Read More...

Angry Season 4 GIF by The Office

How naive of me to think that Nike wouldn’t try something this drastic.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Archived