Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

13 hours ago, Ridleylash said:

Those teams weren't named differently when that came into effect. Minnesota has always been Minnesota, never the Minneapolis Twins. Same with the Rockies and Rangers. They've always been state named, so that's why they get grandfathered in.

The Angels weren't the California Angels at the time of the rule change and thus are affected.

What rule number is that?

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't believe nobody has picked up on the irony of the name "Los Angeles". Its literally the spanish translation of "The Angels". So in effect, "Los Angeles Angels" means "The Angels Angels".  If there were a hispanic promotion day their jersey wordmark would be both city name and the team name.

14 minutes ago, ltravisjr said:

I can't believe nobody has picked up on the irony of the name "Los Angeles". Its literally the spanish translation of "The Angels". 

I'm 99.999999999999999% sure everyone knows this. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

Fair enough. Now define "fine." 

"Anaheim" is a distinct locale that has had top flight representation since the mid 90s thanks to the Ducks. So if the Angeles wanna rep "Anaheim" that's perfectly fine. 

Bonus- it's the name they won their only World Series with. 

"Los Angeles" encompasses the entire metro area, which Anaheim is undeniably a part of. The Rams played in Anaheim for fourteen years under the "Los Angeles" moniker and no one raised a fuss over it. And the Minnesota North Stars almost moved to Anaheim with the intent to play as the "Los Angeles Stars." A team playing in Anaheim but using the "Los Angeles" name is perfectly fine and not the tragedy some make it out to be. 

Bonus- Los Angeles is the second largest media market in the US and one of the world's preeminent cities. Association with that is only a good thing as far as branding goes. 

"California" doesn't work because the Dodgers, Giants, A's, and Padres exist. "California" worked at first because the AL and NL were still mostly distinct entities at the time and they were the only AL club in Cali. Since then though? The AL and NL have both amalgamated under the MLB banner, making the "only AL team in state" not as important as it used to be. And they're not even that anymore with the A's in Oakland. 

Sure, you could point to the Golden State Warriors, but that name's dumb too. They should have staked a claim to being San Fransisco's team- another great American city- when they moved westward across the Bay. 

So either LA or Anaheim work for the Angeles, as both represent aspects of their locale. I don't blame them for going with LA, but "Anaheim" would work too if they insisted. It's a place, it's distinct. Whateves.

"California" though? The state is too big and too diverse to be wholly represented by one team in one location. And they have too many teams for one to try anyway.

1 hour ago, Gothamite said:

What rule number is that?

For me state names work in select circumstances. 

Minnesota- Minneapolis and St. Paul have the "twin cities" vibe going, so I get the state-based nickname to avoid alienating one over the other. 

Only team in the state- If you're the only team in the state I guess it's fine, but I'd still prefer more civic-based teams. Cities have cultures and identities, states are often a series of square lines drawn up for the purposes of administration and often lack distinct cultures. 

If the full name means something- "Texas Rangers" and "Florida Panthers" are actual things, a law enforcement agency and a wild cat. Using the state name instead of the city name lets the full name mirror the namesake. In this case it's more about a clever name using North American sports name conventions and less about trying to represent an entire state, so it works for me. 

2 minutes ago, IceCap said:

For me state names work in select circumstances. 

Minnesota- Minneapolis and St. Paul have the "twin cities" vibe going, so I get the state-based nickname to avoid alienating one over the other. 

Only team in the state- If you're the only team in the state I guess it's fine, but I'd still prefer more civic-based teams. Cities have cultures and identities, states are often a series of square lines drawn up for the purposes of administration and often lack distinct cultures. 

If the full name means something- "Texas Rangers" and "Florida Panthers" are actual things, a law enforcement agency and a wild cat. Using the state name instead of the city name lets the full name mirror the namesake. In this case it's more about a clever name using North American sports name conventions and less about trying to represent an entire state, so it works for me. 

I'm with you on all that. 

I'm just trying to figure out what MLB rule they think forced the Marlins and Angels to change their names.

3 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I'm just trying to figure out what MLB rule they think forced the Marlins and Angels to change their names.

There's a rule in place now, but it's not why the Angels and Marlins changed.

Neither can change back now to the state name, but it's not why they changed in the first place.

IbjBaeE.png

8 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

I'm with you on all that. 

I guess that's what I get for coming in during the middle of a discussion 😅

I'm kind of flummoxed as to why this is a discussion though. I thought the reasons for both the Marlins and Angeles' changes were well-documented- they wanted to be associated with the world class metropolitan markets they played in. 

28 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I'm 99.999999999999999% sure everyone knows this. 

Yep, I humby accept the prize for noticing the obvious. I should probably have said "commented on" rather than "picked up on", because obvious as it is, I think the redundancy played some role in why the Angels chose not to use "Los Angeles" as the city name. Maybe choosing a nickname name other than "Angels" would have been a better choice to deal with it.

1 minute ago, IceCap said:

I guess that's what I get for coming in during the middle of a discussion 😅

I'm kind of flummoxed as to why this is a discussion though. I thought the reasons for both the Marlins and Angeles' changes were well-documented- they wanted to be associated with the world class metropolitan markets they played in. 

I think the Marlins' stadium deal required a name change, pushed moreso by the city than the owner. (IIRC)

1 minute ago, ltravisjr said:

Yep, I humby accept the prize for noticing the obvious. I should probably have said "commented on" rather than "picked up on", because obvious as it is, I think the redundancy played some role in why the Angels chose not to use "Los Angeles" as the city name. Maybe choosing a nickname name other than "Angels" would have been a better choice to deal with it.

Pointing out that "Los Angeles" means "The Angels" is a little like trying to make an "... of Anaheim" joke. 

Was never really funny in the first place but at this point, it's been done to death.

2 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

I think the Marlins' stadium deal required a name change, pushed moreso by the city than the owner. (IIRC)

Yes indeed.   As did the Angels' deal with Anaheim.

Still waiting to hear the specific rule number that prohibits teams from being named after states.  Honestly curious.

5 minutes ago, ltravisjr said:

Ironically, the Spanish-language URL is angelsbeisbol.com, as it references the proper noun, but you'd think losangelesbeisbol.com would work too. 

5 minutes ago, ltravisjr said:

I think the redundancy played some role in why the Angels chose not to use "Los Angeles" as the city name.

No, it didn't. 

There had been a "Los Angeles Angels" baseball team in town since 1903.  Nobody minded it.  Autry changed the name because, let's face it, in those days Orange County wasn't exactly favorable towards the big city next door.  

It was changed to "Anaheim" because the city of Anaheim paid them to, as part of the stadium renovations.  But Moreno realized that he could legally go back to "Los Angeles" so long as he kept "Anaheim" somewhere in the name, leading to the ridiculous compromise name until the naming agreement expired and he could officially bring back the original name.

Nobody has ever worried too much about the redundancy.  It certainly has never impacted the various name changes.  

9 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Pointing out that "Los Angeles" means "The Angels" is a little like trying to make an "... of Anaheim" joke. 

Was never really funny in the first place but at this point, it's been done to death.

I didn't mean it to be funny but yeah, point taken.

Archived