Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

I agree.  The Rays already have both light blue and yellow in their colorway; I'd say they need to quit playing pseudo-Yankees, drop the navy, and get on that, if for no better reason than to look something, anything, like that which their nickname actually implies...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, McCall said:

Would be great for the Rays.

6 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I would LOVE these colors for the Rays.

spacer.png

They sure do! Absolutely loved these fauxbacks Tampa Bay had a few years ago.

I think it’s time Tampa Bay retool their identity around Sun Rays instead of Devil Rays

Those fauxbacks were great for the Rays. Best part might be that there’s little/no white. One of the things I didn’t like about the Yellow Sox is that I don’t think a yellow shirt on top of white pants looks very good, and another light color on top of that for the hat makes it all even worse. A darker color to ground the scheme would be useful.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 4/15/2021 at 6:30 PM, Digby said:

Picking Raleigh or Durham gets you both in a Twin Cities situation AND being one of the smallest markets, so casting the Carolina net makes a lot of sense there. Triangle Hurricanes doesn't work I don't think for obvious reasons.

Golden State had that brief period of barnstorming with home games in San Diego. Willing to bet they would've switched to San Francisco when they moved across the bay if they hadn't gone on a historic, game-changing run of success that's got us stuck with Golden State forever now. (That embrace of Oakland proper on their way out the door remains one of the most cynical ploys in sports branding I can remember!)

The Patriots, we may remember, initially planned to become the Bay State Patriots upon moving to Foxborough. Between having the most exurban stadium in the NFL and the general climate of Boston white-flight during that time, I think we can guess why. Being arm-twisted into becoming "New England" may have been a blessing in disguise given how much sway the Giants held in parts of New England, historically.

I don't think the Raleigh/Durham issue is all that big of a deal. This is just anecdotal, but growing up just outside Raleigh, very few Canes fans seemed to come from Durham. I almost got the sense a lot of people saw them as an NC State team, with the colors and arena sharing. I think that alienated a lot of people more so than naming it Raleigh would've. I think Raleigh just wasn't well known at the time and couldn't stand on its own as an identifier. I don't mind not using Raleigh, but I wish they would've used "North Carolina" instead of "Carolina". It makes sense for the Panthers being on the border, but makes no sense for the Hurricanes who are hours from South Carolina.

All that being said, if somehow Raleigh was able to get an MLB team, I would hope they would be named the Durham Bulls. I think the brand is so strong that it would work, even if the team wasn't actually in Durham.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

2 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

I almost got the sense a lot of people saw them as an NC State team,

I see them as a "people whose parents moved from Pittsburgh and upstate New York to live on a golf course" team

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

3 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

I don't mind not using Raleigh, but I wish they would've used "North Carolina" instead of "Carolina". It makes sense for the Panthers being on the border, but makes no sense for the Hurricanes who are hours from South Carolina.

"North Carolina Hurricanes" sounds far worse than "Carolina Hurricanes" does, though, and it's not like there's much of a chance of the NHL putting a team in Charleston to even really make the idea necessary for disambiguation's sake.

And it makes sense because the Panthers do it; there's no major-league "Raleigh" team, but there is one for "Carolina" as a collective. Karmanos was never going to purposefully make his team's audience as small as possible.

20 minutes ago, Ridleylash said:

Karmanos was never going to purposefully make his team's audience as small as possible.

He moved to a market where there was no TV or radio for half the year and charged full price for tickets

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

On 4/15/2021 at 6:30 PM, Digby said:

The Patriots, we may remember, initially planned to become the Bay State Patriots upon moving to Foxborough. Between having the most exurban stadium in the NFL and the general climate of Boston white-flight during that time, I think we can guess why. Being arm-twisted into becoming "New England" may have been a blessing in disguise given how much sway the Giants held in parts of New England, historically.

Weren’t they going to be named Bay State Patriots because EM Loew, who owned Bay State Raceway in Foxboro, donated the land for the stadium in Foxboro, after the city of Boston rejected a new stadium and Sullivan/NFL didn’t want them at a small college stadium?

And didn’t they change the the name to New England because they realized “BS Patriots” was embarrassing? 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

On 4/14/2021 at 10:41 AM, ProfessorBigShots said:

If every Vikings player got traded for every Packers player, id still be a Vikings fan because they are Minnesota's team still.

That actually happened with the Chicago Blitz and the Arizona Wranglers of the USFL.

Regarding the Angels: I would just like to mention that the use of the locality name "California" certainly does not imply that it's the only team in California.

"California Angels" is the most appropriate name for a team that was reaching out beyond the confines of L.A. County, as well as being that team's best-sounding name. "Los Angeles Angels" is goofy — and always was goofy, even in the PCL. (Though "Los Angeles" would be a perfectly fine locality name for an Anaheim team with any other nickname, as the Rams conclusively demonstrated.)

And "Anaheim Angels" is bush-league. Anaheim should be grouped, as in Mel Blanc's classic gag from the Jack Benny radio show, with Azusa and Cuc . . . amonga, not with the likes of New York and Chicago. (Please note that what the NHL does is irrelevant, as that league is not in the same universe as Major League Baseball and the NFL.)

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

2 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

"Los Angeles Angels" is goofy — and always was goofy, even in the PCL. (Though "Los Angeles" would be a perfectly fine locality name for an Anaheim team with any other nickname, as the Rams conclusively demonstrated.)

Goofy? Why, because it sounds redundant in Spanish? I'd argue the opposite– than any name other than Los Angeles Angels seems goofy because the team is literally named after the city. The LA Dodgers are named after pedestrians in Brooklyn, NY. The LA Lakers are named for bodies of water in Minnesota. The Utah Jazz are named for a genre of music popular in New Orleans. THOSE names are goofy.

19 hours ago, Kampy said:

Goofy? Why, because it sounds redundant in Spanish? I'd argue the opposite– than any name other than Los Angeles Angels seems goofy because the team is literally named after the city. The LA Dodgers are named after pedestrians in Brooklyn, NY. The LA Lakers are named for bodies of water in Minnesota. The Utah Jazz are named for a genre of music popular in New Orleans. THOSE names are goofy.

I can’t like your post, so let me assure you that I like your post. 

Now that we've all seen the Boston city uniform on the field, does anyone feel differently?

When I saw the reveal, I said "WOAH!" like the rest of you, but the uniform itself is gorgeous, IMO. And it passed the real test of looking great on the field, too.

I think a lot of you missed the whole point about the City Connect series. This is not a Red Sox uniform. It was not meant to fit in with Red Sox branding. It's a CITY OF BOSTON uniform that the Red Sox are wearing.

Great idea, great execution. I'm sure I'll be disappointed with some of the upcoming releases, but we'll have to do or homework to see how well each city has been represented.

13 hours ago, sitboaf said:

Now that we've all seen the Boston city uniform on the field, does anyone feel differently?

When I saw the reveal, I said "WOAH!" like the rest of you, but the uniform itself is gorgeous, IMO. And it passed the real test of looking great on the field, too.

I think a lot of you missed the whole point about the City Connect series. This is not a Red Sox uniform. It was not meant to fit in with Red Sox branding. It's a CITY OF BOSTON uniform that the Red Sox are wearing.

Great idea, great execution. I'm sure I'll be disappointed with some of the upcoming releases, but we'll have to do or homework to see how well each city has been represented.

The uniform itself wasnt BAD 

But for the Boston Red Sox it was completely TERRIBLE.

Those are not Red Sox colors.  

20 hours ago, sitboaf said:

So does this mean the Yankees and Mets will wear the same City Connect uniform? What about the Dodgers and Angels?

Even apart from not fitting the Red Sox it's not a good uniform. I said "Boston DPW softball team" earlier and I stand by that. A single, obnoxious color, no trim or design elements to speak of, even the stencil wordmark and bubbly letters on the back look like stock catalog options.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

On 4/20/2021 at 11:56 AM, sitboaf said:

As a lifelong Red Sox fan, New England native, and person with lots of Boston connections*, I wildly disagree that this is a "CITY OF BOSTON" uniform that the Red Sox were wearing. There's quite possibly nothing more BOSTON to a Bostonian than the uniforms that the Red Sox traditionally wear. Of course the Marathon in a big deal, but the idea that this uniform was at all some sort of nod to the city and its tradition is.... well, it's just wrong. I don't know how else to say it. This was not a uniform that represents Boston. It was a uniform that represented a Nike merchandising and marketing scheme. Full stop.

*I can't say I'm a Bostonian because I've never lived in the city proper. I mean, I COULD, but I would feel like a liar.

Archived