Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

22 hours ago, VandyDelphia Mike said:

0oW77.png

I love what the Brewers wear now, but the beer colored jerseys were pretty amazing. It sucks it didn't last for long. Hell, if we're gonna do this City Connect thing then the Brewers should just resurrect this idea.

braun-coolbasegold__38280.1606158888.jpg

bSLCtu2.png

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Old School Fool said:

I love what the Brewers wear now, but the beer colored jerseys were pretty amazing. It sucks it didn't last for long. Hell, if we're gonna do this City Connect thing then the Brewers should just resurrect this idea.

braun-coolbasegold__38280.1606158888.jpg

Nah the piss stained jerseys were the worst

On 4/21/2021 at 1:15 AM, selgy said:

The uniform itself wasnt BAD 

But for the Boston Red Sox it was completely TERRIBLE.

Those are not Red Sox colors.  

I guess that was my point. Nice looking uniform? Check. Represented Boston, but not necessarily the Red Sox? Check. They are not supposed to be Red Sox colors. For one day, this was a City of Boston baseball team. I fear that if you're expecting the coming city uniforms to match the various identities of the clubs, you're gonna hate most, if not all of what emerges.

On 4/21/2021 at 12:56 PM, DoubleStraps said:

As a lifelong Red Sox fan, New England native, and person with lots of Boston connections*, I wildly disagree that this is a "CITY OF BOSTON" uniform that the Red Sox were wearing. There's quite possibly nothing more BOSTON to a Bostonian than the uniforms that the Red Sox traditionally wear. Of course the Marathon in a big deal, but the idea that this uniform was at all some sort of nod to the city and its tradition is.... well, it's just wrong. I don't know how else to say it. This was not a uniform that represents Boston. It was a uniform that represented a Nike merchandising and marketing scheme. Full stop.

*I can't say I'm a Bostonian because I've never lived in the city proper. I mean, I COULD, but I would feel like a liar.

I think Celtics and Bruins fans might disagree that there's "nothing more BOSTON to a Bostonian" than a Red Sox uni. And while you may wildly disagree that this is a city uniform, that WAS Nike's intention. That, and to make money of course. You believe Nike failed, but I understood the connection, and appreciated seeing a fresh take.

3 minutes ago, sitboaf said:

I think Celtics and Bruins fans might disagree that there's "nothing more BOSTON to a Bostonian" than a Red Sox uni. And while you may wildly disagree that this is a city uniform, that WAS Nike's intention. That, and to make money of course. You believe Nike failed, but I understood the connection, and appreciated seeing a fresh take.

The Red Sox are are Boston institution. You go take a business trip to Boston there is about a 90% chance you go to Fenway. You don’t say the same for the bruins or Celtics.

2 minutes ago, dont care said:

The Red Sox are are Boston institution. You go take a business trip to Boston there is about a 90% chance you go to Fenway. You don’t say the same for the bruins or Celtics.

The Bruins, Celtics and the marathon are also Boston institutions. I don't think we should be measuring city-ness by what business travelers choose to see (Faneuil Hall would probably be number 1, anyway). Especially in light of your original point, which included the phrase "to a Bostonian", which is what these city uniforms are all about.  

52 minutes ago, sitboaf said:

The Bruins, Celtics and the marathon are also Boston institutions. I don't think we should be measuring city-ness by what business travelers choose to see (Faneuil Hall would probably be number 1, anyway). Especially in light of your original point, which included the phrase "to a Bostonian", which is what these city uniforms are all about.  

If I’m going to Boston, my first thought will always be Fenway

7 hours ago, sitboaf said:

I guess that was my point. Nice looking uniform? Check. Represented Boston, but not necessarily the Red Sox? Check. They are not supposed to be Red Sox colors. For one day, this was a City of Boston baseball team. I fear that if you're expecting the coming city uniforms to match the various identities of the clubs, you're gonna hate most, if not all of what emerges.

If we are just talking about "representing Boston," I would argue that this:

GettyImages-470537788-1024x691.jpg

says "BOSTON" way way way more than this:

Red Sox Nike City Connect jerseys: Would you pay $435 for a new Boston  Marathon-inspired Sox uniform? - masslive.com

Another thing, and I say this as someone who has never lived in Boston, and has not even been to Boston since the early 1990s.  Now obviously I am a sports fan, so take this with a grain of salt, but literally the first thing that comes to mind when I hear "Boston" is "Red Sox."  Literally the first image that comes to mind when I hear "Boston" is Fenway Park.  I am of course just one person, but I've got to think that a lot of other people, or at least most sports fans, have the same first thoughts upon just hearing "Boston."  My point being that for probably a large percentage of the population, the Red Sox basically ARE the main representatives of Boston.  No one thinks of yellow and baby blue as "representing" Boston.

26 minutes ago, SCalderwood said:

Another thing, and I say this as someone who has never lived in Boston, and has not even been to Boston since the early 1990s.  Now obviously I am a sports fan, so take this with a grain of salt, but literally the first thing that comes to mind when I hear "Boston" is "Red Sox."  Literally the first image that comes to mind when I hear "Boston" is Fenway Park.  I am of course just one person, but I've got to think that a lot of other people, or at least most sports fans, have the same first thoughts upon just hearing "Boston."  My point being that for probably a large percentage of the population, the Red Sox basically ARE the main representatives of Boston.  No one thinks of yellow and baby blue as "representing" Boston.

As someone else who has never lived in Boston, when I hear the name, I instantly make revolutionary-era connections.  Maybe that's because I live in a colonial city and history is always on my mind.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

2 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

If we are just talking about "representing Boston," I would argue that this:

GettyImages-470537788-1024x691.jpg

Especially given the origin story, this is the only Marathon alternate they need. But it’s not a moneymaker.

That the team and Nike had to dumb down this sentiment to open the new revenue stream makes it all that much worse.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

10 hours ago, sitboaf said:

I think people get the concept, and we’re all seeing what the NBA is doing. It’s just an inherently bad concept is all.

Like I said before, we don’t need these super literal mash-ups of two Boston institutions; if the Marathon decided to move its finish line from Copley Square to Fenway Park in a Red Sox tribute, that would be equally stupid.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

The problem with the Nike "tribute" to Boston is that it's so hollow and artificial. Nothing represents the city of Boston and the communal healing after the marathon bombing better than the classic Red Sox identity. It's also incredibly sad to replace the original Patriot's Day uniforms that worked well for their purpose, especially considering that they were cobbled together mere days after the tragedy. Those uniforms struck me as being genuine whereas these yellow monstrosities are nothing more than a shameless corporate cash-grab.

From an objective design standpoint, the set is also lacking. The yellow looked a little too gaudy from the brief clip posted here. The fabric almost looked too highlighterish in a college/high school kind of a way than I originally feared. 

4 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

The problem with the Nike "tribute" to Boston is that it's so hollow and artificial. Nothing represents the city of Boston and the communal healing after the marathon bombing better than the classic Red Sox identity. It's also incredibly sad to replace the original Patriot's Day uniforms that worked well for their purpose, especially considering that they were cobbled together mere days after the tragedy. Those uniforms struck me as being genuine whereas these yellow monstrosities are nothing more than a shameless corporate cash-grab.

From an object design standpoint, the set is also lacking. The yellow looked a little too gaudy from the brief clip posted here. The fabric almost looked too highlighterish in a college/high school kind of a way than I originally feared. 

Well to be fair they didn’t replace the patriot day uniforms, they wore those too in addition to these city uniforms.

That somehow makes it even stupider. 

“Look, we know you already have this tribute uniform you wear on a special day.  But this year, you’ll wear your special day uniform just after that special day because we want to celebrate that special day that you created a uniform for with a new uniform we just created for it.”

28 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

“Look, we know you already have this tribute uniform you wear on a special day.  But this year, you’ll wear your special day uniform just after that special day because we want to celebrate that special day that you created a uniform for with a new uniform we just created for it.”

"Oh, and it's also pastel blue and yellow instead of our classic colors with numbers that have a white dropshadow on a yellow base. Because, uh, city flag. That's great civic pride, right? Definitely doesn't make us look like UCLA."

25 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

Hey don't give away nike trade secrets now...

58 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

The patriot day uniform was worn on patriots day.

Archived