Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the sky is not falling, no need to chicken little about things, by the sounds of things, it's gonna be used for ONE GAME. ONE GAME out of 162? COME ON MAN

The Danimal said:
Texas is the state that gave us George W. Bush and Sarah Palin. 'Nuff said.

8 minutes ago, RichardWitham said:

the sky is not falling, no need to chicken little about things, by the sounds of things, it's gonna be used for ONE GAME. ONE GAME out of 162? COME ON MAN

I honestly didn't see that part at first. That makes this program not as big of a deal to me if they can keep it that way. Just don't let it be the NBA where teams end up using their wacky city uniforms with non-team colors for over half their games in a season. 

AM-JKLUm-gD6dFoY5MvQGgjXb2rzP7kMTHmGf8UsR6KOCYQnHU-0HSFi-zjXHepGDckUAHcduu3pVgvwxe06RKDW2y2Z2BmhEOe8OP-WSY1XqLT9KsQ0ZP75J9loQuNrvLW208pEWCg9jq8aNx-zFneH9aPQQA=w800-h112-no?authuser=0

spacer.png

I mean, the team is literally called the Red Sox... JFC 🤦‍♂️

spacer.png

Wagner Athletic Group

11-2 Saskatoon Steeds (WAFL)-NFL-2014 Western Conference Champions / 8-5 Calgary Pronghorns (TNFF)-CFL-2014 Confederation Cup XI Champions

14-6-2 Saskatoon Yellowheads (XHL)-NHL-1st, Gretzky Conference / 5-4-0 Saskatoon Czars (MLH)-AHL-T2nd, Calder Conference

7-1-6 VfL Dortmund (Weltliga)-Bundesliga-3rd, League / 5-1-5 West End AFC (WFL)-EPL-T5th, League

14-7 Saskatoon Sheiks (AA)-MLB-2014 Founder's Cup Champions

11 minutes ago, RichardWitham said:

How many times have we seen an alternate suddenly become a uniform worn regularly? A team claiming they'll wear a uniform only once can never be taken at face value.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

Nike is gonna Nike: looks like they will be releasing an MLB "city" series, so to speak, called City Connection. Boston was the first team revealed, with a blue and yellow Boston Marathon inspired look, a nice tribute to the tragic bombing in 2013.

boston-red-sox-new-nike-2021-city-connect-jersey-yellow-blue-patriots-day-boston-marathon-uniform-sportslogosnet-750x943.jpg

I think the look is a nice tribute, although it is bizarre to see the Red Sox in something other than navy/red. Although I can't help but think of UCLA when I see that cap.

I also have much more vivid memories of the uniforms worn by the Sox during Ortiz's speech after the bombing. I wish they would bring these back in some capacity:

r72851_1296x729_16-9.jpg

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

I've never been to Boston but to me the single item that most strongly represents the city to me is a Red Sox hat. The whole concept is a miss when the clubs usual uniform is SO synonymous with the city. The best way to have "honored Boston" would've been to keep things how they've always been.

With that said, I'll have no problem with Colorado flag Rockies uniforms, South Beach Marlins, Marble Nationals jerseys, etc. as long as their worn for a single series. But starting this program with a team like Boston and departing from their iconic look so drastically makes this a failure. 

Denver Nuggets Kansas City Chiefs Tampa Bay Rays 

Colorado Buffaloes Purdue Boilermakers Florida Gators

27 minutes ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

I love those colors and the stencil!!!  Can't wait to see what Dodgers and Marlins get!

spacer.png

As others have pointed out, that's a nice UCLA hat. The jersey, in a vacuum, is meh. But for the Red Sox? Not good. If they confine it to only the day of the marathon, fine, whatever. I don't think the other teams will have an event to tie it too, and will wear theirs too often.

Ugh.

spacer.png

14 minutes ago, MDGP said:

How many times have we seen an alternate suddenly become a uniform worn regularly? A team claiming they'll wear a uniform only once can never be taken at face value.

Oh come on... are people really thinking or worried that this is Nike's way of changing a team's primary uniforms? This is like Players Weekend uniforms, an occasional alternate to sell merchandise... this isn't a revamping of an entire uniform set

27 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

So only a handful of teams will be participating in this promotion? Interesting. 

Yes, to start.  It sounds like its a gradual rollout.  7 teams in 2021 and then more in the coming seasons.

7 minutes ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Oh come on... are people really thinking or worried that this is Nike's way of changing a team's primary uniforms? This is like Players Weekend uniforms, an occasional alternate to sell merchandise... this isn't a revamping of an entire uniform set

Which are also completely unnecessary, embarrassing, and stupid.  I get that there's 162 games and more opportunity to full around in baseball than in some other sports, but some of these things are just silly looking, and in this case, run completely counter to the established brand.

Athletes are just models, and the games are just content for betting sites.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 minute ago, BBTV said:

Which are also completely unnecessary, embarrassing, and stupid.  I get that there's 162 games and more opportunity to full around in baseball than in some other sports, but some of these things are just silly looking, and in this case, run completely counter to the established brand.

Athletes are just models, and the games are just content for betting sites.

You are absolutely right... but do the awful Players Weekend uniforms ruin the traditional uniforms worn for essentially the other 159 or so games? My point is that these have nothing to do with the primary uniforms.

1 hour ago, tBBP said:

See what I tried to tell y'all? I tried to warn folks...I been saying it for years

People who keep talking about they want Nike to take over...this is what happens. And if MLB, the stiffest most traditional of the big leagues allows it, what hope is there for any other league?

Nike, adidas and Under Armour have all been doing this. The only difference now id=s they add ridiculous names for each individual uniform. 

1 hour ago, LMU said:

U! *clap* *clap* clap* C! *clap* *clap* clap* L! *clap* *clap* *clap* A! *clap* *clap* *clap* U! C! L! A! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

boston-red-sox-new-2021-nike-city-connec

_mg_5919.jpg

My first thought too. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived