Jump to content

Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series


Recommended Posts

Here's what I'll say - Fenway and the Sox represent Boston in a way few other sports represent their city. If there is a movie set in Boston, it will inevitably include a scene at Fenway - the only exception I can think of is The Departed, but Sox hats are all over that movie. But Fenway is Boston. The only other sports team I think even comes close is Chicago and Wrigley, but chances are you'll just get a passing shot of the marquee, whereas entire plots are centered around Fenway.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Anubis2051 said:

Here's what I'll say - Fenway and the Sox represent Boston in a way few other sports represent their city. If there is a movie set in Boston, it will inevitably include a scene at Fenway - the only exception I can think of is The Departed, but Sox hats are all over that movie. But Fenway is Boston. The only other sports team I think even comes close is Chicago and Wrigley, but chances are you'll just get a passing shot of the marquee, whereas entire plots are centered around Fenway.

 

Then that's just the laziness or ignorance of those movie makers.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, LA_Angels said:

Some clues about Marlins City Connect

 

The Red Sox ones were unveiled about two weeks before they debuted on the field. If Nike follows a similar rollout for the Marlins, we should see them by Friday. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/30/2021 at 4:09 PM, chcarlson23 said:

See, when I think of Boston, I think of three things. One, I think of the Revolutionary War, two, I think of the Red Sox, and three, I think of how I’ve never been to Boston in the fall. 

 

I've also never been to Boston in the fall nor ever buried treasure in St. Paul.

---

Marlins City Connect hints.

(Edit: I see this was already posted in the MLB 2021 thread)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

I've also never been to Boston in the fall nor ever buried treasure in St. Paul.

I grew up near St. Paul, and I’m there a lot, but I’ve never buried treasure here. 
 

I guess you could say I just stay home and lie around. I don’t do anything...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

A Havana Sugar Kings tribute sounds exciting, if that's the inspiration for the City Connect design. Something more vintage, from the 40s and 50s, would be much better than an 80s Vaporwave design that I had feared they'd go with. A knock off of the Heat City Edition jerseys would have been worst case scenario for me.

 

Call me cautiously optimistic. As much as I hate corporate cash grabs, the Marlins' current identity isn't sacred like Boston's is, so I welcome the possibility of players wearing something that's a design upgrade.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/5/2021 at 8:51 PM, dont care said:

So the Marlins are having a city uniform for a team from a different country? Smart move Nike (sarcasm)

I mean, technically yes, but a huge proportion of Miami residents are Cuban expats who love Cuba but hate its government. So a uniform for an old Cuban team would probably have a lot of appeal there. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Speaking of city connect, the Brewers have gotta be looking to go with something based on the people's flag, right? It'd be the perfect excuse to add a powder blue uni to their set (which should have been included in the first place).

 

spacer.png

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/7/2021 at 8:06 PM, NicDB said:
On 5/7/2021 at 8:06 PM, NicDB said:

Speaking of city connect, the Brewers have gotta be looking to go with something based on the people's flag, right? It'd be the perfect excuse to add a powder blue uni to their set (which should have been included in the first place).

 

spacer.png

Oh, wow. Their city flag is in team colors. This could actually be really good!
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

So if the Marlins are doing a Havana Sugar Kings inspired set/throwback, this might mean that the City Connect series might be pretty flexible in its inspirations.

 

We'll have to see what the Marlins ones look like to see what happens.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, TBGKon said:

So if the Marlins are doing a Havana Sugar Kings inspired set/throwback, this might mean that the City Connect series might be pretty flexible in its inspirations.

 

I think we should take that as a given. 

 

No rules beyond what a Nike copywriter can justify.  Which means no rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/10/2021 at 5:58 PM, TBGKon said:

So if the Marlins are doing a Havana Sugar Kings inspired set/throwback, this might mean that the City Connect series might be pretty flexible in its inspirations.

 

 

"Flexible" is a nice way to put it.  Even being flexible usually implies that one is at least sticking to some basic premise or idea.

 

Literally the only similarity between City Connect series jerseys and a team's actual jerseys/identity seems to be that they are just both baseball uniforms.  We saw this with Boston.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

 

 

"Flexible" is a nice way to put it.  Even being flexible usually implies that one is at least sticking to some basic premise or idea.

 

Literally the only similarity between City Connect series jerseys and a team's actual jerseys/identity seems to be that they are just both baseball uniforms.  We saw this with Boston.

 

I think that's going to be a given. You see that exact same thing in how they've handled the similar program in the NBA. It seems like for the most part, they go out of their way to make sure there's as little visual connection as possible between the real uniform in these money grabbers. I would assume it's an actual mandate for the design process.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'm sure they couch it internally as "no limits on the creativity of the designer, no restrictions on the breadth of the local connections".

 

But what they really mean is "so different that there's no chance of cannibalizing sales of current merchandise".

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

Wonder when the Marlins uniforms will be unveiled. They're set to wear them in exactly nine days. 

 

At this point, I would expect it to be right before the games.  Like with throwback events, they unveil the uniforms with a PR blitz that rolls right into game coverage.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, coco1997 said:

Wonder when the Marlins uniforms will be unveiled. They're set to wear them in exactly nine days. 

I think the date you’re referring to, May 21st, is probably when they’ll unveil the uniform, as opposed to when they’ll first wear it. At least, that’s how I interpreted this schedule Nike put out:

6xNMplB.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.