• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, VDizzle12 said:

I like this better than the current Marlins branding

** ducks **

Today in "Damning with faint praise."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

This is more or less what the Marlins should look like, right? They're a 90s expansion team playing in Miami — they should take chances with branding, they should wear bright colors, they shouldn't look like every other major league team that has a century's worth of history from before their existence. IMO, MLB's overall aesthetic is enhanced when non-traditional teams embrace non-traditional looks. This is great!

6fQjS3M.png

On 5/17/2021 at 12:11 PM, crashcarson15 said:

This is more or less what the Marlins should look like, right? They're a 90s expansion team playing in Miami — they should take chances with branding, they should wear bright colors, they shouldn't look like every other major league team that has a century's worth of history from before their existence. IMO, MLB's overall aesthetic is enhanced when non-traditional teams embrace non-traditional looks. This is great!

I agree, which is a big part of why this set works so well, and Boston's didn't. 

Another big reason: This, on its own, doesn't represent a significant departure from the Marlins brand identity, at least not to the degree the powder-and-yellow Boston set did. For that reason, it works beautifully. You could work this in as a recurring alternate for the Marlins without a significant threat of brand dilution. 

You know, I don't hate it.  I really want to hate a lot of the city-edition uniforms because I find them so damn superfluous but these are a fine uniform.  The colors are funky and loud (which seem fitting of a Miami team) and more of these types of things should be what the Marlins embrace.  Color wise they don't clash as much with their identity as, say the Boston ones did.  I wouldn't necessarily say these should be their full time stitches, but definitely this is more like what the Marlins should be (use those bright reds and blues, guys).  Not awful, not awful at all.    

25 minutes ago, crashcarson15 said:

At the very least the Marlins need to eliminate black as a dominant part of their visual identity. The franchise has had four distinct uniform phases over its existence (1993-2002, 2003-2011, 2012-2018, and 2019-now) and black has been the dominant color in all of those sets with the exception of the first one. During the 90s, black was present but nicely complemented the teal. In the latter three phases, black has been emphasized above all else with disastrous consequences to their brand.

I want teal, but any embrace of a vibrant color scheme is a breath of fresh air at this point. I like this new set.

7 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

All of the other elements aside, the "Miami" script on this design is the most "classic" looking jersey script the Fish have ever used. 

I still have a soft spot for the original script, but this new one is definitely gorgeous. I even like the drop shadow. It screams Miami without going the Heat Vaporwave route.

1 hour ago, lahaye7 said:

I've long stated that this blue should be their main color. I'd be all for matching red pinstriped pants and blue socks. But I'm enjoying my cough syrup today

Anything is better than black. The logos get completely lost on black jerseys and hats. It makes no sense...

1 hour ago, crashcarson15 said:

This is exactly why the Brewers and Royals never should have went away from powder blue.  Also, why I'd love to see the Padres have an all gold alt, and see the Astros find more ways to incorporate the rainbow/sunrise.  I've said plenty of times before, pretty much every expansion team lost whatever made them unique once the 90s came around.  Were some of the trends in the pullover era too much?  Sure.  But you also knew who you were watching the moment you turned on a game.

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Jazz Chisholm Jr. knows how to do it...

image.thumb.png.320c667038810e26e69296d1d3a90859.png

damn, these are so cool. I guess red pants may make them look too much like the Cuban national team. Moreover, what the heck have Marlin ownership been doing with the last couple sets? 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

49 minutes ago, lahaye7 said:

damn, these are so cool. I guess red pants may make them look too much like the Cuban national team. 

This begs the question whether any of these City Connect unis will be monochrome or whether each jersey will just have plain white/gray pants. 

I'll echo what pretty much everyone else is saying.... these Marlins city units look great.  I think they are better than any of their other jerseys.  These shades of blue and red, are they the actual shades of red and blue in their actual color scheme?  If they are, then I like these even more.

If these had come out before Boston's had, I wonder if we'd be more forgiving of Boston's.  Leading off with Miami's would have made a much better first impression.  There are a lot of teams to go, but if we don't see anything worse than what we saw with Boston, and most of them are close to as good as Miami (which I realize might be tough to do), AND if these are really only worn for a couple of games per season and things don't get out of control with wearing them all the time... I might actually be somewhat ok with this program.

9 hours ago, officeglenn said:

These are gorgeous. And while the shades might be slightly different it uses two colors that are part of their current color scheme, unlike the UCLA Red Sox. Bravo.

I wonder if they could pull off a white top with stripes like that without continuing them on the pants.  Maybe they could make a white top with red stripes and wear... red pants?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I really like this look for all the same reasons stated above. The only thing I wish they would have done differently is continuing the pinstripes on the sleeves. Up next is the Sox, maybe a "South Side" inspired look??? Feeling more optimistic about this program now than I did when Boston's dropped. 

SIG.png

Archived