Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

This seems to be an unpopular opinion, but I can’t say i’m a fan of this City Connect uniform for Miami. Honestly, on a purely aesthetic level (i.e., not considering the Red Sox storied history), I like Boston’s set more than this one.

Sure, the use of brighter colors is a welcome change, but I haven’t been a fan of the Marlins embracing red since the unveiling of their current set. Moreover, this cap logo is too busy to be discernible from any distance.

It’s nice on a conceptual level that the Marlins were able to tap into the city’s Latin American heritage some more, but that was really just something they should have done when they unveiled the regular set by truly embracing their “colores.” 

I don’t know, this one just doesn’t do it for me, I guess.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 hours ago, QCS said:

That unironically might be the best Marlins jersey ever made.

While these uniforms are very good (and are the opposite of the Boston disaster), let's not get carried away.  The best Marlins uniforms were the first Marlins uniforms, featuring the introduction of a new colour that was somehow simultaneously both vibrant and cool, and the beautiful contrasting front number.

April 5, 1993: Florida Marlins victorious in franchise debut behind Charlie  Hough – Society for American Baseball Research    History: Florida Marlins Inaugural Season 1993, Pitchers Edition   Amazon.com: 1993 Upper Deck Baseball Card #479 Florida Marlins:  Collectibles & Fine Art

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

It’s absolutely crazy to me that a team can have a great identity, win two World Series in it, and just throw it all away. 

washingtonst.gif

My teams

NCAA: Washington State

MLB: Seattle Mariners

NFL: Seattle Seahawks

NBA: Portland Trailblazers

EPL: Liverpool FC

MLS: Seattle Sounders FC

NHL: Pittsburgh Penguins

52 minutes ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

While these uniforms are very good (and are the opposite of the Boston disaster), let's not get carried away.  The best Marlins uniforms were the first Marlins uniforms, featuring the introduction of a new colour that was somehow simultaneously both vibrant and cool, and the beautiful contrasting front number.

April 5, 1993: Florida Marlins victorious in franchise debut behind Charlie  Hough – Society for American Baseball Research    History: Florida Marlins Inaugural Season 1993, Pitchers Edition   Amazon.com: 1993 Upper Deck Baseball Card #479 Florida Marlins:  Collectibles & Fine Art

They look even better with present-day players, photography, and textiles:

spacer.png

12 hours ago, VikWings said:

These are gorgeous. And while the shades might be slightly different it uses two colors that are part of their current color scheme, unlike the UCLA Red Sox. Bravo.

It looks like the red might be different. According to the Marlins website, the City Connect colors are Legacy Red, Miami Blue, and Midnight Black.

3XrNsoX.png

According to the TruColor website, the normal colors are Caliente Red, Miami Blue, and Midnight Black.

C2GLjLq.png

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

5 hours ago, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

Until the current full-time look, every move they made since these was a downgrade.  The city connect is better than their current full-times, but to me, this will always be how the Marlins are supposed to look.  It blows my mind that an expansion team from the 90s still struggles to embrace teal.

This is the best Marlins uniform I have ever seen.  Even better than the Teals that I was a fan of.  The Marlins should dump blank immediately and run with these city uniforms by making a grey, white and blue jersey.  

Am I the only one that doesn’t like this uniform? It doesn’t even refer back to the city like the campaign was suppose to do. If all the connection they need is “well a bunch of Cubans live in Miami so we will made a faux back uniform from a team from Cuba” then count me in the category of being completely against this program. It may be aesthetically pleasing, but it has nothing to do with the Marlins, or even Miami.

2 minutes ago, dont care said:

Am I the only one that doesn’t like this uniform? It doesn’t even refer back to the city like the campaign was suppose to do. If all the connection they need is “well a bunch of Cubans live in Miami so we will made a faux back uniform from a team from Cuba” then count me in the category of being completely against this program. It may be aesthetically pleasing, but it has nothing to do with the Marlins, or even Miami.

It's reaching out to a certain demographic as well as embracing a club with a history, because until 1992 the Marlins didn't have any. Is there anything in Miami that's equal to the Boston Marathon? Is it something that could work within the confines of a baseball uniform?

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

21 hours ago, dont care said:

It's more than reasonable to critique the City Connect concept as a whole as being little more than a gimmicky cash grab, but they executed it well in this instance. Cuban heritage is a major part of Miami's fabric. The ballpark is located in the Little Havana neighborhood. A nod to these connections comes off as much more genuine and resonant than if they had drawn from Miami Vice or nightlife for inspiration. Those are more hackneyed cliches and I'm relieved that they avoided them. Especially since the Heat seem to have cornered that market anyway.

5 hours ago, dont care said:

This is a really good point.

Let me at least explain my perspective.  After what happened with Boston, I was expecting the Miami city jerseys to be much, much worse than what we ended up getting.  Most people (including you) seem to at least agree that Miami's city uniforms are aesthetically pleasing, and I think that's the only reason why any lack of connection to the actual city of Miami (regardless of city demographics, etc.) is being overlooked.  Also, you say that the uniforms have nothing to do with the Marlins, but at least they are Marlins colors.  Again, compared to what we saw with Boston, that is a huge positive aspect of these uniforms.  At least they somewhat "look" like the Marlins, and not like a completely unrelated, fake, nonexistent team.

In other words, if the uniforms ended up being much worse-looking and/or had colors that were totally unrelated to Marlins colors, I think we would see multiple pages of posts of people generally hating on them (like we saw with Boston), and a lot more people would be specifically complaining about a lack of connection to Miami (also like we saw with Boston).  But because they are Marlins colors and don't look awful, I think people are so relieved that they are willing to overlook other details/issues/problems and not even think about them.  At least, that's what happened with me.

Is it a minority opinion to like the Marlins current set? I hate the unreadable black jerseys and think they need to embrace the teal/"miami blue" a little more but other than that I think they're great. Maybe not on par with the originals but they definitely crap on the first Miami set.

3 minutes ago, VikWings said:

Is it a minority opinion to like the Marlins current set? I hate the unreadable black jerseys and think they need to embrace the teal/"miami blue" a little more but other than that I think they're great. Maybe not on par with the originals but they definitely crap on the first Miami set.

I agree that they crap on the first Miami set, no question there.

But to me, it's hard to "like" a set that could be so, so, so, much better, literally just by de-emphasizing (or, honestly, maybe completely getting rid of) black.  That's what makes their set so detestable.   If I'm not mistaken, they only have a black hat, and they have black wordmarks AND numbers on every single jersey.  I don't even think they have an alternate cap with maybe a colored bill or anything like that.  There's just no excuse for such a dull and depressing look.  I want to be able to watch MLB highlights and see a team in those beautiful shades of blue and red and instantly know it's the Marlins.  That's how it was in the mid-90s when they were THE teal team... I think there's something to be said for standing out a little, while still looking fresh.   Why do they want to be so boring?  You're a freakin' 90s expansion team, in MIAMI.  Act like it!

They have a great identity, color scheme, logo, wordmarks, etc.  They have everything else going for them.  They are so close, yet don't want to take the easiest steps in the world - basically, just color swaps - to have a great look.  That's what makes it almost more painful than team whose look is a complete mess.

It’s not a horrible uniform, definitely better then the Boston UCLA hybrid. But it definitely also isn’t great. I’d rather a proper Havana Sugar Kings throwback rather then this mess. In fact I think proper throwbacks to the cities other baseball franchises would make for a much better “city uniform” program in general.

I like the script, I think it should be promoted to the current home and away. The colors are nice, I’m glad they stayed on track for this one, but the red doesn’t feel Marlins at all. I’m pretty sure they’ve worn a uniform for like ever color in the rainbow by now though so I guess it doesn’t matter.

Final thoughts, not bad, could be a whole lot better though.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

34 minutes ago, VikWings said:

It's hard to tell if that's a minority opinion, but on this board I think it is. Among Marlins fans on social media I discern much more enthusiasm for the City Connect jersey than when the current uniform set was unveiled a few years ago.

13 hours ago, VikWings said:

Is it a minority opinion to like the Marlins current set? I hate the unreadable black jerseys and think they need to embrace the teal/"Miami blue" a little more but other than that I think they're great. Maybe not on par with the originals but they definitely crap on the first Miami set.

The minority opinion would be liking the black jersey the best out of that set. I like everything except that black jersey. Numbers should not match the jerseys they're being worn on, even with outlines on them. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived