Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

1 hour ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

The only thing I don't like about the White Sox one... it feels like this is for a very specific target audience, like more specific than usual. I can't see a Chicago businessman grabbing one of these jerseys when he visits the ballpark after leaving the office early to catch a game. It's too "street" for my tastes,

If this was happening a few years ago they could've made a fortune tying it into Shameless. It felt like the characters on that show went out of their way to mention being from the South Side almost every episode.

I can just picture William H. Macy throwing out a first pitch in character.

william h macy cheers GIF by Shameless

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm surprised that these aren't as bad as I expected and with a few tweaks could actually be nice uniforms.

-"Southside" needs to be more legible it can read at a quick glance as: "Smithside"

-"S" in Southside coming from SOX logo, I like the intent but just doesn't feel correct, looks chopped.

-Hat is bad....just go with the classic current black hat

-pair these with white or grey pants, not black, look like pajamas and too much of that Gangsta feel

-I'm guessing that is a light heathered texture? 

-Kinda wish the player names were in white

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

One thing I've noticed with both Miami and now the White Sox City Connect, even if the uniforms have faults, the really strong wordmarks are making for some excellent hoodies. I'm a Marlins fan and can't see myself wearing their city connect jersey but I'd love to eventually grab the hoodie version, and I can see the same for the White Sox one. The hoodie displays the best part of the CC jerseys and let's you get away from whatever doesn't work about the jerseys.

There's a picture way earlier in this thread of a table set up with the Red Sox City Connect merch and that's honestly what kind of sold me more on this whole thing. For whatever I, and others, may think about the players will be wearing, I think the "off-field" (and I guess some of it is technically consider on-field) merchandise is going to be a hit.

IbjBaeE.png

I remember a few years back A-Rod saying that the MLB needed to be more like the Kardashians. I don't think they're going to slow down with the uniform gimmicks. So far these city connect uniforms have been a collective miss. I really dislike the new White Sox uniforms.

My biggest gripe with the White Sox set is the hat. Firstly, I just don't like the "CHI" and secondly, the set is supposed to be focusing on the Southside, so why have a hat that represents the whole city, especially when there's another team in the city who also is going to be using the city for their City Connect?

IbjBaeE.png

Also, "North Side," "West Side," and "South Side" as areas of Chicago are traditionally written as two words. (And the oft-neglected East Side along the Indiana border.) You're not even from here.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I love the big cuffs on the sleeves and I’ve always been intrigued by the idea of a dark pinstriped uniform for the White Sox. Throw that newish “White Sox” script on that bad boy and ditch the sublimated pattern and I think we’d have a nice alternate uniform, with the regular hat and number font

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

My biggest gripe with the White Sox set is the hat. Firstly, I just don't like the "CHI" and secondly, the set is supposed to be focusing on the Southside, so why have a hat that represents the whole city, especially when there's another team in the city who also is going to be using the city for their City Connect?

Chi makes some sense to me, thanks to the long-standing “ChiSox” nickname. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

As a sox fan, I love this uniform. I’d love to see that gothic number font stay throughout the whole set, and for this city connect uniform to stay as an alternate. Although it might not be a hit for other fans, the sox fanbase absolutely loves it and that’s all that matters. 

With how iconic the “Sox” hat has become in hip-hop, I think it’s a good idea to use that tribute for a jersey and I think they did a solid job on this. Only complaint is the hat, which lacks the flair of the original. 

It’s a shame Chance the Rapper burned through most of his public goodwill in the past few years, because his White Sox collaboration hat would be perfect for a promotion like this. I even would have liked to see a hint of gold in the uniforms as well if that were the case, but as it is it’s a decent alternate. 

yfYjCo3.jpg

i have unquantifiable corpses on my conscience 

1 hour ago, DNAsports said:

The best part about the uniform is 100% the number font. Love it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

I do like the number font. Hope we can get a white or silver belt 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

7 hours ago, DNAsports said:

I wonder how Chris Sale feels about these

I wonder what Adam LaRoche’s son has to say on the situation. 

spacer.png

7 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

One thing I've noticed with both Miami and now the White Sox City Connect, even if the uniforms have faults, the really strong wordmarks are making for some excellent hoodies. I'm a Marlins fan and can't see myself wearing their city connect jersey but I'd love to eventually grab the hoodie version, and I can see the same for the White Sox one. The hoodie displays the best part of the CC jerseys and let's you get away from whatever doesn't work about the jerseys.

I bought the shirt they were selling with that Sugar Kings script on it and it's awesome; I'd be all over that hoodie if I was a Marlins fan.

6fQjS3M.png

Archived