Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

9 minutes ago, Digby said:

I dig the device usage, even though it will become the Y successor to the Montreal ELB, maybe.

Except that the ELB doesn't actually stand for anything, but the Municipal Device represents the three branches of the Chicago River that traditionally define the city's North Side, South Side, and East Side.

Where-is-Chicago-River-Located-What-rive

I am underwhelmed at first glance. Thy feel really plain, especially when compared to the White Sox and Marlins sets.  And nothing bores me more than solid navy alternates. I suppose the Cubs were never going to have a flashy one but this jersey lacks character and feels unnecessary.

12 minutes ago, Bonnaroo42 said:

100% agree that the Muni Device gets a lil bonus point. Criminally underused in local sports besides the fire.  I love the flag, but I’ll dap up anyone else with a municipal device tattoo over a flag or stars tattoo any day of the week. 

Do the Fire use it?  I'm not familiar with that, and it doesn't appear on their mothership page (not that it means much). 

2 hours ago, Chicageaux said:

The Cubs city jerseys have leaked and they are… something.

spacer.png

spacer.png

So far this ones the best but the other ones are pretty bad. I wonder how many teams will use alternate colors

2 hours ago, Chicageaux said:

The Cubs city jerseys have leaked and they are… something.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Seriously, it could be way worse. I really like the font and the patch on the arm, but why the squashed letters on the name plate?? There's acres of space there! Give the letters space to breathe!

I really appreciate how much simpler this one feels compared to the last two. That said, Wrigleyville is dumb, the non-team colors are obnoxious, and it doesn’t feel Cubs-esq at all. 

I still think Miami was the best look, but even it shouldn’t of been made in the first place.

Edit: This would make a really nice updated navy alt for the Rays actually, just substituting the patch for the Ray logo, and Wrigleyville for Tampa Bay.

34 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Can the mods place this titans crossover in the concepts forum???

I don't know what you're talking about; that is clearly a Blue Jackets alternate.

"But...why?" comes to mind here.  These are so incredibly devoid of life.  I can't even figure out who those are for.  They're the clear definition of nonoffensive.  There's a lack of color, creativity...I just don't understand why these exist.  I can't imagine who would buy these in a merch sense (I may not have liked the Sox uniform but you knew they'd have a fan base).  

Why bother if you're going to produce something so...blah.  They just feel lazy.   Almost like Tom forgot to design them until midnight before the project was due, or had his mom do it for him.  I can't "hate" them...because there's hardly any emotional response that could be  illicted from any of this.

5 hours ago, seasaltvanilla said:

Even the blades of grass in Maryland have crab-shaped flag stickers on them.

If you don’t start your day with a 1/2 tablespoon of Old Bay mixed with a 1/2 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, are you even from Maryland?

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

And if you're worried that the flag is overdone, they get massive points for using the Municipal Device.

That’s cool, I never knew that they even had a municipal device. The symbolism is cool too with the river. I will give them credit for that. 

4 hours ago, Digby said:

I think the Chicago flag just lends itself to uniform design, there’s lots to work with in a variety of contexts. Whereas the Maryland flag is cool and distinctive but gets unwieldy fast if you use it too closely for design inspo, as some Terps uniforms have unfortunately showed us.

Correct. Which is why I’m so relieved that the O’s and Ravens have been smart (see: restrained) with their usage of the flag. 

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

This is good use-

spacer.png
spacer.png

this is overcompensating-

spacer.png

Correct and correct. I especially like those black jerseys as one-off MD unis. If they made those the Maryland Day uniforms for good I’d be happy. 

4 hours ago, Gothamite said:

If my city flag looked that good, I'd insist it be on everything too.

And if you're worried that the flag is overdone, they get massive points for using the Municipal Device.

https://www.wbez.org/stories/chicagos-municipal-device-the-citys-symbol-lurking-in-plain-sight/fd9cf47b-904e-4654-ad06-ff7fc8727758

That's a nice element. I kinda wished the White Sox used that as well. 

As for the city flag, I probably can recognize Chicago, Washington  and New York amongst American city flags, but beyond that, I don't think I can recognize any other city flag unless it's spelled out in big letters like San Francisco. 

5 hours ago, CaliforniaGlowin said:

Wrigleyville: MLB's version of Buzz City.

Nah, cause Wrigleyville is far more common and wasn't invented by a garbage marketing team in 2014 to "replace" an already far more popular city nickname.

2 minutes ago, QCS said:

Nah, cause Wrigleyville is far more common and wasn't invented by a garbage marketing team in 2014 to "replace" an already far more popular city nickname.

Far more common? I haven't really heard either of them used before a stupid uniform had it plastered on the front of it.

1 minute ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Far more common? I haven't really heard either of them used before a stupid uniform had it plastered on the front of it.

I'd heard Wrigleyville for Chicago. Any use at all outside of team marketing is far more common than Buzz City.

Put the "Wrigleyville" on a red background, and put it on a v-neck so the button placket doesn't break up the patch.

Safe to assume the caps will be navy with the Y?

8 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Spoken as someone who grew up in the region, Wrigleyville is a very common term for folks in Northern IL to describe the neighborhood around Wrigley field.  It's a geographic location of the city.  Probably more of a "you'd have to live there" type-thing, but it definitely is very widely used.

That said, it's not really anything that needs to find itself on a Cubs uniform.  

On 5/30/2021 at 11:57 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Hip Hop does not equal gang violence.

Period.

Full stop.

End of story.

The 1990 Sox cap connecting with hip hop specifically and Black and Latino communities generally is its own thing.  The black and white Gothic S-o-x has been adopted by South Siders as part of their identity for more than 30 years and that's not including the black/red, red/white, and blue/white versions of that same logo going back to 1949.

As for the reverse pinstripes, the single most common comparison I've seen on social media so far is the Chicago American Giants who played in the same ballpark on 35th Street.

I'm late, but... someone REALLY suggested this on this thread? (I shouldn't be surprised, but still...)

Either way, the Southside jerseys are fire. I know a couple people down here in Fort Worth who wanted them.