Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

I have a feeling there will be some teams who, because their colors aren't intrinsically tied to their team name, will have City Connect designs that will be more widely embraced. White Sox and Cubs can be pretty much anything and it would work (and I'm assuming at least of one of those two is guaranteed to have a Chicago flag themed design). Diamondbacks' one should be cool.  

53 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

So are we reaching the point where "normal" uniforms will only be worn about half of the time?

It may be too early to say that but if the NBA is any indication, we may be heading in that direction. Personally, I don't trust Nike and the teams to have any kind of restraint. 

I am

V E R Y

unhappy right now.

(At least the design itself is semi-passable; although if the numbers have the same stencil effect, I may reconsider.  The hat is trash, though.)

1 hour ago, burgundy said:

spacer.png

As others have pointed out, that's a nice UCLA hat. The jersey, in a vacuum, is meh. But for the Red Sox? Not good. If they confine it to only the day of the marathon, fine, whatever. I don't think the other teams will have an event to tie it too, and will wear theirs too often.

Ugh.

Since the Mets and Yankees are involved and playing on 9/11, I'm betting that's when they'll wear theirs. 

39 minutes ago, andregunts said:

lololol, I am in the NBA thread and I always laugh at how salty dudes are at the color, funky jerseys, and I remember one dude was like "atleast baseball still respects aesthetic traditions"

They clearly haven't been watching baseball the past 2-3 years if they've been saying that

"With the heavy Patriots’ Day inspiration, it should really come as no surprise that the uniform will be making its on-field debut over that long weekend in Boston. The Red Sox will be hosting baseball’s other sock-centric team, the Chicago White Sox on Saturday, April 17th and then will wear them again on Sunday the 18th. The team’s usual Patriots’ Day “Boston Strong” uniforms will return for their game on Monday morning." Source: the SportsLogos article

A number of people on this thread are commenting that this uniform is replacing the actual Patriots' Day uniforms -- it seems like that won't be happening. At least for this season.

Further, I've seen people commenting that 'at least this isn't as bad as Players Weekend,' but I disagree. Players' Weekend is at least limited to one weekend where it's begrudgingly accepted (at least on my part) that the uniforms are templated and disappointing. I'm not sure how I feel about the Red Sox getting to wear these uniforms whenever over the course of this season. I'm a big Sox fan and I understand the city connection, but this ain't it. I think if 'City Connect' uniforms are going to work, there has to be more connection between the existing traditional looks of the older teams with the efforts to make it more about the city. 

1 hour ago, andregunts said:

lololol, I am in the NBA thread and I always laugh at how salty dudes are at the color, funky jerseys, and I remember one dude was like "atleast baseball still respects aesthetic traditions"

Kendrick Lamar Laughing GIF by SZA

Season 10 Hate GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

1 hour ago, CS85 said:

Before you post your original thought on the Bruins/UCLA

1 hour ago, JayMac said:

Looks like the UCLA Bruins, am I right??

I'll smack ya, I sweartagawd.

56 minutes ago, Cujo said:

ucla-logo.png

rears back hand

22 minutes ago, bowld said:

As a Bruins fan I might actually have to buy that hat. I can pretend its a UCLA hat, right??

eyeball twitches

2 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Oh come on... are people really thinking or worried that this is Nike's way of changing a team's primary uniforms? This is like Players Weekend uniforms, an occasional alternate to sell merchandise... this isn't a revamping of an entire uniform set

NBA city uniforms started out the same. They were just alternate to be worn a few times. Then it was the earned editions to celebrate teams making the playoffs. Then the league got rid of home and away designations. Now teams regularly wear their alternates more than their primary uniforms.

And with the way some teams in the MLB already wear alternates? I guarantee you that this program will expand and become a much more pervasive thing