Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

5 hours ago, SilverBullet1929 said:

Now that someone mentioned the Yankees, I'm thinking there is no way for the Yankees to have a successful city connect uniform. The Yankees home uniform is already the city connect uniform for the Bronx, if not the majority of the state of New York except for obviously Queens.

People said the same thing about the Red Sox (which I agree with). Didn't stop Nike from giving them a City Connect. The Yanks will have one sooner or later, it's just a question of which season it debuts in.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 hours ago, QCS said:

Please enlighten me on how the exact same color has more contrast than this:

I know it was late last night, but do I really have to explain what I meant when I said "Red-red probably has higher contrast though than sand-grey" under a picture of two teams wearing identical color jerseys right after a post about how sand and grey are supposedly completely incompatible because you wouldn't be able to distinguish the two teams?

same_color_jerseys_0wtk2211_r18j6tie.jpg

Here's another example of high contrast red-red and blue-blue match-ups. (The pants are different colors though, to be fair).

1 hour ago, seasaltvanilla said:

I know it was late last night, but do I really have to explain what I meant when I said "Red-red probably has higher contrast though than sand-grey" under a picture of two teams wearing identical color jerseys right after a post about how sand and grey are supposedly completely incompatible because you wouldn't be able to distinguish the two teams?

same_color_jerseys_0wtk2211_r18j6tie.jpg

Here's another example of high contrast red-red and blue-blue match-ups. (The pants are different colors though, to be fair).

I’m still waiting to see a sand vs grey matchup which is the original claim. Baseball has traditionally always had the home team wear white, teams being stupid and wearing the same color alt jerseys is irrelevant.

3 hours ago, griffin128 said:

It would be 'The Bronx', never just Bronx. The 'the' is very important.

mark zuckerberg facebook GIF by Stan.

1 hour ago, dont care said:

I’m still waiting to see a sand vs grey matchup which is the original claim. Baseball has traditionally always had the home team wear white, teams being stupid and wearing the same color alt jerseys is irrelevant.

The Blue Jays' powder blue set, which back in the day was a road uniform, has been worn at home against grey uniforms plenty of time.

spacer.png

11 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

wow nike really sucks at making baseball uniforms

I think the more likely option is more that MLB is thinks :censored: like this is "cool". 😛 At the end of the day, Nike is really just doing what the teams want them to do.

38 minutes ago, Gothamite said:

"The Bronx" is the borough's name, though.  Leaving it off would be like using "Francisco" on a Giants jersey.

Agreed...but it is kinda odd how "The" is on some Bronx locations but not others. 

Bronx Zoo, Bronx Park. The official mailing address of a location within the borough is Bronx, NY.  A Bronx man is a man from the Bronx. 

Borough of the Bronx (River) was the original reason why it has the definite article. 

The state's website just calls the county just "Bronx County"

https://www.ny.gov/counties/bronx

Encylopedia Britannica refers to the borough as just "Bronx".

https://www.britannica.com/place/Bronx-borough-New-York-City

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

31 minutes ago, WSU151 said:

Agreed...but it is kinda odd how "The" is on some Bronx locations but not others. 

Bronx Zoo, Bronx Park. The official mailing address of a location within the borough is Bronx, NY.  A Bronx man is a man from the Bronx. 

Borough of the Bronx (River) was the original reason why it has the definite article. 

The state's website just calls the county just "Bronx County"

https://www.ny.gov/counties/bronx

Encylopedia Britannica refers to the borough as just "Bronx".

https://www.britannica.com/place/Bronx-borough-New-York-City

Bronx County is coterminous with the Bronx, but they are not the same entities.  The county does not use the definite article, but the borough does.

Private entities named after the borough sometimes use the definite article, sometimes do not. 

That's really strange about  Britannica.  Maybe it's a style guide thing with titles, because they use "the Bronx" exclusively in the body of the entry.

It's a strange little quirk, I'll admit.  I'm struggling to come up with a comparable example.  And it's certainly not inconceivable that the Yankees would use it without the definite article as a nod to their nickname "Bronx Bombers" or just because "The" would look goofy on a jersey.   And I do like that Dugout Creative jersey, @DNAsports.

I mean, it's not like Nike  nor the Yankees are beholden to any naming guides. If they want it to include "The", the jersey will include "The".

2 hours ago, Gothamite said:

Private entities named after the borough sometimes use the definite article, sometimes do not. 

Well because, like with your Britannica example, the "The" is kind of implied and applied through conversation and writing. I'm not saying they sat down and decided not to use "The" in names of things specifically because they knew it would be there anyways, but I think it does impact a little bit.

Like, "I am going to the Bronx Zoo". "The Bronx" is in there, not in the direct way, but it's still in there.

"I am going to the The Bronx Zoo" sounds dumb.

IbjBaeE.png

This kinda seems like a dumb argument. If the Yankees really are that anal about “The”, they’ll include it, but it’s certainly not necessary in any way. “Bronx” gets the point across without being extra.

Honestly, to really capture the essence of NY, the jersey should read

DAH BRONX!

I'm going to guess the Yankees would wear some "NYPD"/"NYFD" patch to commemorate 9/11.... and if they can convince Rudy Guilliani to make an appearance, that would be "great" 

I saw, I came, I left.

1 hour ago, DEAD! said:

I'm going to guess the Yankees would wear some "NYPD"/"NYFD" patch to commemorate 9/11.... and if they can convince Rudy Guilliani to make an appearance, that would be "great" 

It might be hard to finder a New Yorker that New Yorkers loathe more.  We've hated that :censored: since the '90s.

On 6/15/2021 at 4:03 PM, Ridleylash said:

I think the more likely option is more that MLB is thinks :censored: like this is "cool". 😛 At the end of the day, Nike is really just doing what the teams want them to do.

I would bet Nike has more input than you think. This is not to say they order teams to have certain uniforms. But external designers and the clients usually work together with brainstorming and creative sessions. The creative process probably works with Nike and team officials brainstorming ideas together. Then Nike goes and draws us some stuff and the teams say yes or no or tweak. But I'd be willing to bet at least half of the process is Nike's brainchild (especially with regard to overall design). 

I think that teams have the ultimate final choice but I think Nike has a lot more pull than most think. They are basically controlling what the NBA teams wear, so I wouldn't be completely surprised if it is or will be the same in MLB.

Archived