Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

7 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

Some nod to Asian heritage would be the best approach for a San Francisco City Connect uniform, in my opinion. I'm not sure what the appropriate design elements or inspirations would be, but that theme would feel more genuine than the typical clichés for San Francisco. The Marlins set worked well because they resisted the trite beach, sunset, nightclub, and Vice stuff.

It's one thing to do Hispanic heritage, but they mostly do that just doing something in Spanish. It is also one thing to specifically do what the Marlins did with a Cuban theme, but Asian is a broad scope to cover. Maybe you could do something specifically in Japanese or Chinese or Korean, but I probably would not cover all of them. 

I saw, I came, I left.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DEAD! said:

It's one thing to do Hispanic heritage, but they mostly do that just doing something in Spanish. It is also one thing to specifically do what the Marlins did with a Cuban theme, but Asian is a broad scope to cover. Maybe you could do something specifically in Japanese or Chinese or Korean, but I probably would not cover all of them. 

Well, I'm not suggesting they do something so broad as to cover all Asian heritages, but rather use that as a starting point and narrow it down from there. I'm not familiar enough with the Bay Area myself to say exactly what that they should do specifically, but picking one heritage (Chinese, Japanese, etc.) obviously makes the most sense since they don't share a common language, as you say.  Chinese ancestry statistically constitutes the vast majority of people of Asian descent living in the Bay Area, so that would probably make the most sense.

While I'm not super sold on the idea of honoring ethnic heritage for San Fran (because it's hard to do well, not because I dislike honoring minorities), what if they pulled from the Yomiuri Giants? They look similar, but not quite the same.

Cx-EaULVIAA5Y24.jpg

Maybe pulling the "GIANTS" font and creating a more Tuscan SF monogram for the cap? Not sure how well it would go over with fans (the Giants are the Yankees of the NPB) but I think it would be a cool way to honor Japanese heritage as well as baseball's history.

the user formerly known as cdclt

14 hours ago, the admiral said:

Nike, please invent "Fog City" as a name people call San Francisco and put it on  the Giants' uniforms; I need one of these to be uglier and stupider than what the Cubs have.

Nah take these travesty jerseys to their logical conclusion since they all suck anyway. Put “Frisco” on the front so at least we have some fun outraged reactions from the locals to observe. Bonus points if it’s a royal blue jersey. 

2 hours ago, bosrs1 said:

Nah take these travesty jerseys to their logical conclusion since they all suck anyway. Put “Frisco” on the front so at least we have some fun outraged reactions from the locals to observe. Bonus points if it’s a royal blue jersey. 

A Frisco-Alcatraz-Fisherman's Wharf mashup identity would really resonate with the longtime locals.

4 hours ago, QCS said:

While I'm not super sold on the idea of honoring ethnic heritage for San Fran (because it's hard to do well, not because I dislike honoring minorities), what if they pulled from the Yomiuri Giants? They look similar, but not quite the same.

Cx-EaULVIAA5Y24.jpg

Maybe pulling the "GIANTS" font and creating a more Tuscan SF monogram for the cap? Not sure how well it would go over with fans (the Giants are the Yankees of the NPB) but I think it would be a cool way to honor Japanese heritage as well as baseball's history.

While I think this would be clever, I would think that doing something like this would incorrectly imply some sort of affiliation between the two clubs. I would also find it weird that SF would make uniforms inspired by Tokyo which made uniforms inspired by SF/NY. Like with anything, it's possible I'm overthinking things. 

4 hours ago, QCS said:

Cx-EaULVIAA5Y24.jpg

That’s overthinking it. The SF Giants don’t need to rip off of the Yomiuri Giants. 

If Nike really wants an SFG City Connect jersey to connect locally to SF and honor Asian heritage, a Dragon’s Gate themed design would do the trick. Even better, no one else has done it. 

That being said, I can’t see Nike being that creative. I think it’ll say Golden Gate and be themed after the bridge. 

NYCdog.png

13 minutes ago, NYCdog said:

That’s overthinking it. The SF Giants don’t need to rip off of the Yomiuri Giants. 

If Nike really wants an SFG City Connect jersey to connect locally to SF and honor Asian heritage, a Dragon’s Gate themed design would do the trick. Even better, no one else has done it. 

That being said, I can’t see Nike being that creative. I think it’ll say Golden Gate and be themed after the bridge. 

100%, though I'd love it if they went wildcard and themed it after Alcatraz.

3 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Watch them do something like 

415s (area code) or Golden City

"Baghdad By The Bay" or it's not a real nickname on the front, in Ghirardelli Square font. 

Have a "Frisco" patch on the shoulder for the local outrage factor

Jersey is Dodger Blue and White Pinstripes for extra local outrage and the Alcatraz connection.

Add brown accents to really sell the authenticity of walking down Market Street (or anywhere adjacent to it for that matter). 

12 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

How about a Rice-A-Roni themed uni?

Really? Rice? If this is what they are even thinking about making city connect jerseys just don’t even bother. Why not Silicon Valley? Why not the large Asian community? Why not the fairly large LGBTQ community. But rice, just because a company called it’s product the “San Francisco treat” is completely idiotic.

1 minute ago, dont care said:

Really? Rice? If this is what they are even thinking about making city connect jerseys just don’t even bother. Why not Silicon Valley? Why not the large Asian community? Why not the fairly large LGBTQ community. But rice, just because a company called it’s product the “San Francisco treat” is completely idiotic.

Apparently sarcasm doesn't translate well here. 

2 hours ago, coco1997 said:

Apparently sarcasm doesn't translate well here. 

It's not so much that sarcasm doesn't translate well, it's that these uniforms are so ridiculous that your idea of a rice-themed jersey is something that one has to pause to think hard about before determining whether you were being serious.

Just now, SCalderwood said:

It's not so much that sarcasm doesn't translate well, it's that these uniforms are so ridiculous that your idea of a rice-themed jersey is something that one has to pause to think hard about before determining whether you were being serious.

spacer.png

Archived