Jump to content

Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series


Recommended Posts

I'm shocked that the Sox being one of the more traditional teams out there when it comes to their home uniforms have signed up for this.  Let alone be the first team to debut them. I get the tie-in to the Marathon, but holy crap it's one event in an unassociated sport. It doesn't define the city in the least.

 

Hell the city and area have so much to pull from that helped make Boston what it is! How about the ACTUAL reason we have Patriot's Day? It's such an embarrassment.

 

The stencil wordmark looks nothing like the Finish line, so no idea where they're pulling that out of.  The numbers on the back are a completely different, swirly font that has a drop shadow.  The only actual Boston thing is the use of 617 on the runner bib patch and that looks like an afterthought.

 

I can't believe I finally get to say this: As a fan, I'm not a fan.

 

And I'm aware this isn't replacing their full-time jerseys but we all know this is a slippery slope. And people will inevitably buy them with the inaccurate thinking that these are meant to honor the victims of the Marathon Bombing (they aren't, that's what the home whites with "Boston" on them are for) and, as stated before, that will give the justification to Nike that this is a good idea.

 

Absolutely atrocious.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, fouhy12 said:

At least it's a nice design?

 

This would be great for a new team in Boston or something, but not for the Red Sox. And as a fan, I've become attached to the Patriots Day uniforms they've worn since the marathon bombing. Sad to see those go for a cash grab. 

I read that the B-Strong jerseys are still being worn on Patriots Day. These new unis will be worn the weekend directly prior.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, CS85 said:

 

 

 

I'll smack ya, I sweartagawd.

 

 

rears back hand

 

 

eyeball twitches

 

Come on, guys.  I already broke out the whole Sons of Westwood cheer.  You're not topping that.  Back away from the keyboard.

Kenan Thompson No GIF by Saturday Night Live

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, andregunts said:

 

lololol, I am in the NBA thread and I always laugh at how salty dudes are at the color, funky jerseys, and I remember one dude was like "atleast baseball still respects aesthetic traditions"

 

Kendrick Lamar Laughing GIF by SZA

 

Like, yeah, it's almost as if dudes respect design standards or something. WTF, amiright? Lolz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RichardWitham said:

... it's gonna be used for ONE GAME. ONE GAME out of 162?


Actually, my understanding is that Boston's City Connect uniforms are scheduled to be worn on Saturday the 17th and Sunday the 18th of April. So, two games out of 162.

What bothers me most about this development is that it's likely just the first step in the inevitable Nike City/Earned/Statement/Color Rush-ification of Major League Baseball uniforms. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong, but I'm going to guess that this won't be the last season that Nike convinces MLB franchises to trot out monstrosities like these... the Red Sox, Diamondbacks, Cubs, White Sox, Dodgers, Marlins, and Giants won't be the only teams to wear them... and the future won't see them limited to just a couple of games a year. I'm not saying that every team is going to adopt these full-time, but Nike "push the design envelope" uniform creep has begun in Major League Baseball. It's only a matter of time before some team - or, teams - is convinced to grant Nike carte blanche for a complete makeover of their design aesthetic.      

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:


Actually, my understanding is that Boston's City Connect uniforms are scheduled to be worn on Saturday the 17th and Sunday the 18th of April. So, two games out of 162.

What bothers me most about this development is that it's likely just the first step in the inevitable Nike City/Earned/Statement/Color Rush-ification of Major League Baseball uniforms. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong, but I'm going to guess that this won't be the last season that Nike convinces MLB franchises to trot out monstrosities like these... the Red Sox, Diamondbacks, Cubs, White Sox, Dodgers, Marlins, and Giants won't be the only teams to wear them... and the future won't see them limited to just a couple of games a year. I'm not saying that every team is going to adopt these full-time, but Nike "push the design envelope" uniform creep has begun. It's only a matter of time before some team - or, teams - is convinced to grant Nike carte blanche for a complete makeover of their design aesthetic.      

 

"uniform creep" is a great way of putting it

 

Just now, lahaye7 said:

Wish they had done this a couple years ago, maybe they could’ve made enough money to pay the luxury tax and keep Mookie Betts /s

 

Dang, how to spot a fellow Sox fan... I miss Mookie.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

If these were a standalone uniform that pays tribute to the city (marathon, flag colors), sure, it works.

 

But because you're adding this to a franchise with so much history (especially in their color and design) and introduce something that's completely opposite, it doesn't work. SMH Nike. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I know I'm a little late to the party but... CALLED IT!

 

Quote

I've started to think it's inevitable that Nike will eventually roll out a league-wide alternate uniform program like they already have in the NFL and NBA (Color Rush, "City" Edition, "Statement" Edition, etc), possibly in the next year or two

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, Brian in Boston said:


Actually, my understanding is that Boston's City Connect uniforms are scheduled to be worn on Saturday the 17th and Sunday the 18th of April. So, two games out of 162.

What bothers me most about this development is that it's likely just the first step in the inevitable Nike City/Earned/Statement/Color Rush-ification of Major League Baseball uniforms. Perhaps I'll be proven wrong, but I'm going to guess that this won't be the last season that Nike convinces MLB franchises to trot out monstrosities like these... the Red Sox, Diamondbacks, Cubs, White Sox, Dodgers, Marlins, and Giants won't be the only teams to wear them... and the future won't see them limited to just a couple of games a year. I'm not saying that every team is going to adopt these full-time, but Nike "push the design envelope" uniform creep has begun in Major League Baseball. It's only a matter of time before some team - or, teams - is convinced to grant Nike carte blanche for a complete makeover of their design aesthetic.      


I can already see the copy they’ll write when they act like they’re doing everyone a favor.

 

”Back by popular demand! Players and fans loved the city uniforms so much, we’re giving YOU 14 more chances to see us wearing them! YOUR city YOUR jerseys!”

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, LMU said:

U! *clap* *clap* clap* C! *clap* *clap* clap* L! *clap* *clap* *clap* A! *clap* *clap* *clap* U! C! L! A! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

boston-red-sox-new-2021-nike-city-connec

_mg_5919.jpg


My very first thought. What a mess. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, RichardWitham said:

the sky is not falling, no need to chicken little about things, by the sounds of things, it's gonna be used for ONE GAME. ONE GAME out of 162? COME ON MAN

That's the way it starts. You give them an inch, they take a mile. NBA teams play 82 games. How often do they wear their standard uniforms? The NBA doesn't even stick to standard home and away designations any more. And we have MLB teams who already wear their alternates too much and/or have too many alternates (looking at both Florida teams, just to pick two).

 

Furthermore, the problem with this series, much like the holiday uniforms, is that if I go to a game, I want to see a certain team in its regular uniforms. I don't want to see a team wearing an outfit that is not in its regular color palette. I want to see the Red Sox, not UCLA.

 

Eventually, this and/or other special uniform series will spread to all 30 teams. This could easily get out of control.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, cheo25 said:

That's the way it starts. You give them an inch, they take a mile. NBA teams play 82 games. How often do they wear their standard uniforms? The NBA doesn't even stick to standard home and away designations any more. And we have MLB teams who already wear their alternates too much and/or have too many alternates (looking at both Florida teams, just to pick two).

 

Furthermore, the problem with this series, much like the holiday uniforms, is that if I go to a game, I want to see a certain team in its regular uniforms. I don't want to see a team wearing an outfit that is not in its regular color palette. I want to see the Red Sox, not UCLA.

 

Eventually, this and/or other special uniform series will spread to all 30 teams. This could easily get out of control.

and one day, the Yankees will have names on the back of there jerseys.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm going to file all the "as long as MLB limits these to once a year" comments in the same place as all the "as long as the NFL restricts alternate helmets to throwbacks" comments.

 

Or the "helmet ads are ok as long as it's just this year" comments a few months ago in the NHL threads 😆 That one didn't even make it halfway through the season before the NHL threw eggs in everybody's faces. Z e r o reason to think that this cash grab garbage will stay once a year

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, LMU said:

U! *clap* *clap* clap* C! *clap* *clap* clap* L! *clap* *clap* *clap* A! *clap* *clap* *clap* U! C! L! A! FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

boston-red-sox-new-2021-nike-city-connec

_mg_5919.jpg


Funny how the New Era logo on this new Red Sox hat contrasts more with the light blue base than the B in front. I’m going to go out on a limb and guess that at least a couple more participating teams’ hats will follow suit.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.