Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

On 6/23/2021 at 7:19 PM, bosrs1 said:

I'd bet my cat's left nut that it'll have a cable car or the Golden Gate Bridge on it. That's probably all Nike knows about San Francisco. 

You say this like it's a negative but I've yet to see anyone pitch a single idea that is better than a cable car or the Golden Gate Bridge. Sometimes the obvious solution is the best one. 

Chinatown and Alcatraz would both be disasters that are only representative of a tiny piece of SF anyways.

To be totally fair, Oracle/AT&T/SBC/Pac Bell Park is located in the China Basin neighborhood. It would be real dumb to go that specific without having as strong of a baseball centric connection like the Chicago team’s do with their neighborhood nicknames, but it’s not completely out of the realm of possibility. 

I still think a Seals theme would be best. SF is known for the seals/sea lions at Fisherman’s Wharf/Pier 39, and the PCL team was kind of the city’s best old link to professional baseball. 

4 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

To be totally fair, Oracle/AT&T/SBC/Pac Bell Park is located in the China Basin neighborhood. It would be real dumb to go that specific without having as strong of a baseball centric connection like the Chicago team’s do with their neighborhood nicknames, but it’s not completely out of the realm of possibility. 

I still think a Seals theme would be best. SF is known for the seals/sea lions at Fisherman’s Wharf/Pier 39, and the PCL team was kind of the city’s best old link to professional baseball. 

... and their mascot is a seal.

9 hours ago, JTernup said:

Chinatown and Alcatraz would both be disasters that are only representative of a tiny piece of SF anyways.

Wrigleyville and Southside are both disasters that are only representative of tiny pieces of Chicago anyways.

Seemingly by your logic, the only teams to get this city connect thing right are Arizona and Miami.

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Wrigleyville and Southside are both disasters that are only representative of tiny pieces of Chicago anyways.

Seemingly by your logic, the only teams to get this city connect thing right are Arizona and Miami.

The difference is there are two Chicago teams while there is only one team in San Francisco, so the Chicago sets can get away with each honoring specific regions of the city while the Giants design should represent SF as a whole. 

24 minutes ago, coco1997 said:

The difference is there are two Chicago teams while there is only one team in San Francisco team, so the Chicago sets can get away with each honoring specific regions of the city while the Giants design should represent SF as a whole. 

That’s true. I suppose a more accurate comparison would be Boston. A tribute to a marathon doesn’t quite “connect the team to the city”

Well, there you have it. Fog and the Golden Gate Bridge. Some of the posters here called it, but no one should be too surprised. I'm curious what the back of the jersey and hat look like but this is already shaping up to be the worst City Connect so far. The fog effect doesn't work for me at all. The G on the breast feels plain and lazy. And not sure what's going on with the bridge on the sleeves.

1 hour ago, NormMacdonald said:

Is that supposed to be fog on the G? At least it keeps one of the colors I suppose. Still bad

... and fog on "GIANTS" at the bottom? YIKES.

14 hours ago, coco1997 said:

@MJD7 did the Giants with the Golden Gate Bridge on their sleeves three years ago:

Is it really that far fetched to think Nike might be secretly trolling these forums for design ideas?

Even though that was one of my favorite designs I did for that series (I think International Orange would look pretty nice on a jersey), I hope Nike doesn't end up going with something so basic😂

EDIT: I missed that the jersey already did leak above, looks like they did go with something so basic!