Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

6 hours ago, BBTV said:

Maybe they could have gone with a pride-ish theme?

Given baseball seems to appeal to an older demographic, I can't help but think MLB/Nike wanted to shy away from this.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

16 minutes ago, IceCap said:

Good for them. I don't think they'll do a Pride theme for the City Connect, as much sense as it might make. Nike seems to be going for the most broad strokes possible. Especially if that leaked jersey is legit. It's pretty much what most people expected: Golden Gate Bridge and fog.

17 hours ago, IceCap said:

Why didn't they use the SF if this is supposed to be a city-centric design? 

Because.... Nike? 

I mean I've got nothing else. Their design decisions all seem to be trying to one up each other on the scale of suck. 

On 6/26/2021 at 9:37 PM, NormMacdonald said:

Is that supposed to be fog on the G? At least it keeps one of the colors I suppose. Still bad

It won't be seen after being tucked in, but there's literally a fog cloud down on the GIANTS script on the bottom.

On 6/27/2021 at 2:08 AM, SSmith48 said:

Honestly, I don’t hate it. Can’t quite put my finger on why I do, but the orange and white do look clean together.

The colors aren't the problem.  The "G" is.

On 6/27/2021 at 6:57 PM, BBTV said:

My very first thought was "how is it a 'city connect' if they use the nickname initial rather than anything city related'? 

If anything, it's less of a city connect than their own road uniforms.  I thought one of the points of this was to make something that appeals to true locals - not just go with some cliché.  Whether anyone likes the first batch of uniforms or not, they at least accomplish that.  These?  The Golden Gate bridge and fog are something everyone knows about SF.  

Maybe they could have gone with a pride-ish theme?  The tye-dye / deadhead theme that some have posted?  A uniform that makes them look like robots or has a sublimated circuit board for all the tech companies?  Each (even the last one) probably better than a G.

I think it's a no brainer to tie into the Golden Gate and fog - as you point out, that's what everyone knows about it.  I just hate the "G" - I guess I get it.......Giants.....Golden Gate....but why not an SF or even "Frisco" - aren't these supposed to be city connect?  Not bridge connect lol.

Nike's used that "G" on at least caps for the last decade plus maybe even since Pac Bell/SBC/Oracle whatever they're calling it these days opened 21 years ago.  Suffice it to say I've for sure seen this "G" on Nike caps long before this leak.  

1 hour ago, tp49 said:

Nike's used that "G" on at least caps for the last decade plus maybe even since Pac Bell/SBC/Oracle whatever they're calling it these days opened 21 years ago.  Suffice it to say I've for sure seen this "G" on Nike caps long before this leak.  

That’s be cool if Nike made mlb caps which they don’t.

45 minutes ago, dont care said:

That’s be cool if Nike made mlb caps which they don’t.

Nike's made MLB caps (not on-field's) for years just like '47 brand does...

8444521_fpx.tif?op_sharpen=1&wid=700&hei

On 5/30/2021 at 11:57 AM, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Hip Hop does not equal gang violence.

Period.

Full stop.

End of story.

Hip-hop doesn't, but the Sox jerseys do. There was an uproar when the Chicago Fire accidentally turned their badge into a Latin Kings insignia. Why can't people see that this is a celebration of gangs? 

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

19 minutes ago, Marlins93 said:

I think it's awful. That's exactly the type of thing I feared when I learned Nike was taking over.

Make the numbers and bridges on the jersey a solid orange and replace the “G” with a solid orange “SF” and it’s a damn good alt. Much like Arizona’s, if it’s salvageable it’s not really awful.

OH NO, THE HAT.

Dude, they were so close to this actually being okay and then they ruined it with that hat. That Golden Gate design on the side is a variety of  words that I can't even say on this forum.

They almost had it. They were so close. I literally saw the front of the hat and was like "I might buy this" and then I saw the side and I literally wanted to throw my iPhone across the room.

The number font is cool though.

bSLCtu2.png

Time to play the interesting game of “did they actually take inspiration from a design I did 6 years ago?”

6659349_orig.png
I mean I feel weird for thinking that these two ideas could be linked somehow, but Nike usually, for better or worse, does something we’ve NEVER seen before. This feels weird.

Also, the hat sucks. Like as for the jersey, the weird diffuse fog gradient is dumb and the big ol G is hilariously even dumber. Bad. Booooooooooo. Gross bad dumb bad jersey and even worse hat.

8 minutes ago, Old School Fool said:

OH NO, THE HAT.

Dude, they were so close to this actually being okay and then they ruined it with that hat. That Golden Gate design on the side is a variety of  words that I can't even say on this forum.

They almost had it. They were so close. I literally saw the front of the hat and was like "I might buy this" and then I saw the side and I literally wanted to throw my iPhone across the room.

The number font is cool though.

I get why some won’t/don’t like it, but other than the number font, the hat is arguably the safest thing about this uniform.

Archived