Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

4 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Given that this is a board for uniform mavens we should know that the Gothic script used by the Sox for their City Connect Southside is based on their 1990 rebrand, which was in turn based on fan nostalgia for the black 1950’s uniforms that used the Gothic S-o-x. 

This isn’t speculation. It’s been revealed in interviews with Sox marketing personnel who directed the 1990 rebrand. 

It’s a font they’ve owned for 58 of the last 72 years.

Interviews with current White Sox personnel (including on this website) revealed that much of the design is echoing their “Change the Game” campaign as a celebration of their current roster of flashy, exuberant players like Yoan Moncada, Eloy Jimenez, and especially Tim Anderson (who suggested the Polo G song for the reveal video). They also drew inspiration from fan designs and it wouldn’t surprise me if some of them came from these very boards.

The White Sox have been very clear where their inspiration is coming from and it isn’t street gangs. 

I believe you're accurately quoting the White Sox. The White Sox (much like the Clippers) want to have their cake and eat it to and are willing to blur lines. Gothic font, like it or not, is associated with prison style tattoos. It has been for a long time. They can  spin it as much as they like but people see the connection.

As for the Giants, this is pretty much inline with what I expected when Nike announced the City Connect project. It's a uniform that resembles the franchise it's representing. Not a fan of gradients, but the fog makes sense. Adding the bridges is a little cheesy but it represents the local population well

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Ben in LA said:

As a Dodgers fan I want to point and laugh (even though I’ll admit the uniform would look better with SF on the chest and no bridge on the cap)…but I just KNOW my team’s jersey will look yikes. We’re on the clock…

Strictly speculative on my part, but I feel the Dodgers are going to go with a wordmark based on the Hollywood sign. We'll see.

2 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

I’m surprised that they didn’t have one of the NY teams on the initial rollout. I know the Yankees are classic and sacred, but the Mets could’ve done a subway tribute or something.

Mets in Silver jerseys with Queens in script Graffiti font. 

I am sore,wounded, but not slain

I will lay down and bleed a while

And then rise up to fight again

33 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

As long as 1949?

Because that’s how long the White Sox have used that font. 

https://www.sportslogos.net/logos/list_by_team/55/Chicago_White_Sox/

False. What you said was that they had this design sitting around for 58 years because of a previous rebrand. They specifically didn't use it until now.

Lots of things have different social connotations today than they did in the 40's. Gothic style font is one of them. 150569-Grand_Theft_Auto_-_San_Andreas_(U

The White Sox know what they're doing.

42 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

The White Sox aren’t even the only team to use Gothic font in their division.

Does anyone see a picture of Ty Cobb and think gang violence?

Tigers have used one gothic letter (D) since 1904. The White Sox decided to pull out a gothic brand in 2021. You're saying they've been sitting on it for 58 years. Those are two different situations.

That being said, I'd bet you money that gothic D has been appropriated by local gangs.

16 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

Tigers have used one gothic letter (D) since 1904. The White Sox decided to pull out a gothic brand in 2021. You're saying they've been sitting on it for 58 years. Those are two different situations.

That being said, I'd bet you money that gothic D has been appropriated by local gangs.

Where

Puge-White-Sox.jpg

Have

2873d6f5127565b0e3df5528de6fff94.jpg

You

jun-2000-magglio-ordonez-of-the-chicago-

Been

TQifFIoooJF0WMyC-2KiDljzVkMsrN-Jteh646bO

For

?m=02&d=20110203&t=2&i=327049624&w=780&f

sale.jpg?crop=0px,0px,1832px,1098px&resi

Years?

ta7.jpg?fit=656,369&ssl=1

3 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

f070586b3b616091a352938a94cea787.jpg

Yeah Marilyn was all about the life...

Where's the gothic font that says Southside? I thought they've been using it since 1949? Where's the gothic numbers?

OOOHHH You mean the Sox Logo they switched to, away from, than back to. Then in 2021 they decided to make an entire uniform in gothic font.

You can sit here an act like 50's America is still the standard we all live by, but you and I both know it isn't. Criminals have been getting gothic font tattoos for at least 30 years, if not longer. 

5 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

Where's the gothic font that says Southside? I thought they've been using it since 1949? Where's the gothic numbers?

OOOHHH You mean the Sox Logo they switched to, away from, than back to. Then in 2021 they decided to make an entire uniform in gothic font.

You can sit here an act like 50's America is still the standard we all live by, but you and I both know it isn't. Criminals have been getting gothic font tattoos for at least 30 years, if not longer. 

If you can't look at the S-o-x and the Southside marks side by side and tell its the same font, why are you on this website?

8 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

Criminals have been getting gothic font tattoos for at least 30 years, if not longer. 

Not just criminals get tattoos like that man. Can we please stop equating urban black culture with criminals? Like honest to God it's barely a dogwhistle at this point and more like an air-raid siren.

6 hours ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Given that this is a board for uniform mavens we should know that the Gothic script used by the Sox for their City Connect Southside is based on their 1990 rebrand, which was in turn based on fan nostalgia for the black 1950’s uniforms that used the Gothic S-o-x

This isn’t speculation. It’s been revealed in interviews with Sox marketing personnel who directed the 1990 rebrand. 

It’s a font they’ve owned for 58 of the last 72 years.

Interviews with current White Sox personnel (including on this website) revealed that much of the design is echoing their “Change the Game” campaign as a celebration of their current roster of flashy, exuberant players like Yoan Moncada, Eloy Jimenez, and especially Tim Anderson (who suggested the Polo G song for the reveal video). They also drew inspiration from fan designs and it wouldn’t surprise me if some of them came from these very boards.

The White Sox have been very clear where their inspiration is coming from and it isn’t street gangs. 

9 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

Where
Puge-White-Sox.jpg

Have

2873d6f5127565b0e3df5528de6fff94.jpg

You

jun-2000-magglio-ordonez-of-the-chicago-

Been

TQifFIoooJF0WMyC-2KiDljzVkMsrN-Jteh646bO

For

?m=02&d=20110203&t=2&i=327049624&w=780&f

sale.jpg?crop=0px,0px,1832px,1098px&resi

Years?

ta7.jpg?fit=656,369&ssl=1

4 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

If you can't look at the S-o-x and the Southside marks side by side and tell its the same font, why are you on this website?

They made up a gothic S-o-x font logo in 1949, we agree.

They brought back the logo in the 1990's, we agree.

The city connect uniforms are based on gothic font, we agree.

The City connect uniforms use nothing but gothic font and are most definitely trying to invoke an urban style. Part of the reason gothic font is considered to be an urban style is because of the gang affiliation.

Gothic font didn't have gang affiliation in 1949, but in 1990 it did. In 2021 it still does but hip hop being totally mainstream has made it more marketable, or at least that's what the White Sox and Clippers are hoping.

So…Chicago is marketing to a demographic that is found in a specific area of their city, the same area that they are representing on their chest, the same culture that their logo (while not created for) plays a part in.  A culture that is near-worshiped in modern day society, especially the music industry, hip-hop specifically. Even pop music is starting to have more of a hip-hop feel to it, mixing some elements in from both genres. (Listen to Ariana Grande’s Thank U, Next album).

TL;DR: @O.C.D are you upset because Chicago’s City Connect jersey is trying to connect with the predominantly Black part of their city?

21 minutes ago, NormMacdonald said:

Not just criminals get tattoos like that man. Can we please stop equating urban black culture with criminals? Like honest to God it's barely a dogwhistle at this point and more like an air-raid siren.

2 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

@O.C.D

Urban style?

So black people liking it?

That’s what this is about.

I could show you dozens, if not hundreds, of pictures of people (OF ALL COLORS) in prison covered in gothic font tattoos. You'd still insinuate I'm racist.

The uniforms exist. People can buy them and love them forever. Gothic font carries with it cultural connotations because it has been historically affiliated with people who commit crimes. I didn't make it up. It isn't a conspiracy theory. 

5 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

So…Chicago is marketing to a demographic that is found in a specific area of their city, the same area that they are representing on their chest, the same culture that their logo (while not created for) plays a part in.  A culture that is near-worshiped in modern day society, especially the music industry, hip-hop specifically. Even pop music is starting to have more of a hip-hop feel to it, mixing some elements in from both genres. (Listen to Ariana Grande’s Thank U, Next album).

TL;DR: @O.C.D are you upset because Chicago’s City Connect jersey is trying to connect with the predominantly Black part of their city?

No. I have an issue with the whole uniform being gothic font because gothic font has a historical connection with criminality. At no point did I say that criminality is a synonym for being black.

2 minutes ago, Carolingian Steamroller said:

@O.C.D

Oh I know you didn’t make it up.

I'm having a hard time understanding your perspective.

Are you saying gothic font tattoos have no history of gang affiliation?

Are you saying only racist people think that?

Are you saying they used to have gang affiliation but not anymore?

Please help me here

Archived