Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

12 minutes ago, JTernup said:

These mother🤬ers are explaining fog and they think it's what makes SF unique?!?!

Just say the foggy bridge is iconic to SF and be done with it.

(I know I'm way late but had to comment)

They have to try and spin that train crash of a jersey somehow. They've got boxes of them to try and con people into wasting their money on. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

what's that skat on the arm?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

3 hours ago, BBTV said:

what's that skat on the arm?

It’s clearly celebrating the legendary La Brea Tar-Pits, as well as the asphalt covering hundreds of miles of freeway surrounding the Los Angeles area.

4409811293_559b1d05dd_o.jpg

You know what's really stupid about this whole concept... it implies that the usual branding of the teams doesn't connect with the city they're home to. When that's usually not the case in that the names and identities are either tailor made already to connect with the city (Padres, Mariners, Yankees, Rays, Twins, Nationals, etc...) or they've been in a city so long that the team identity itself is part of how the city self identifies (Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, Cardinals, Cubs, etc...). This whole exercise  in addition to being poorly executed, is frankly an act in redundancy. 

23 minutes ago, bosrs1 said:

You know what's really stupid about this whole concept... it implies that the usual branding of the teams doesn't connect with the city they're home to. When that's usually not the case in that the names and identities are either tailor made already to connect with the city (Padres, Mariners, Yankees, Rays, Twins, Nationals, etc...) or they've been in a city so long that the team identity itself is part of how the city self identifies (Red Sox, Dodgers, Giants, Cardinals, Cubs, etc...). This whole exercise  in addition to being poorly executed, is frankly an act in redundancy. 

I disagree. A team may have branding based 100% on their city and still not represent the city 100%. These special jerseys give an opportunity to represent things not in the standard brand. 

11 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

I disagree. A team may have branding based 100% on their city and still not represent the city 100%. These special jerseys give an opportunity to represent things not in the standard brand. 

Outside of the marlins which have a mess of an identity, all of the primary uniforms for the cc clubs have visual identities associated with pretty deep ties to their home cities. Even this chisox home uniform is distinctly chicago without any reference to the city in their sox branding. For decades, a baseball cap has been a signifier of a connectedness to a location and its local culture, what nike is doing is dumbed down, late to the game, and utterly unnecessary.

20 minutes ago, mcrosby said:

Like the Golden Gate Bridge (which isn't even a San Francisco specific thing) or Boston Marathon, both of which are already their own things and hardly need the baseball team to "connect" to their city themselves?  Or the presumable "Los" that's going in front of the Dodgers name which is just putting the Spanish equivalent of "the" in front of the Dodgers name, really connects with the city. 

If they'd really wanted to do this, and I stand by that it's redundant anyway, they should have highlighted things that are local and only locals would know. Real connections. The Golden Gate Bridge is about as tourist trap nonsense as you can get in SF outside of Pier 39 (not to mention as I said it's not even an SF specific thing). And the Boston Marathon is as if not more well known than the Sox. This should have been an opportunity to highlight something lesser known about these cities that would have really spoken to and connected with locals. 

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

This should have been an opportunity to highlight something lesser known about these cities that would have really spoken to and connected with locals. 

But then it would be harder to sell these jerseys to non-locals, and that's all that really matters. If you get too specific, you eat into the bottom line.

1 hour ago, bosrs1 said:

Like the Golden Gate Bridge (which isn't even a San Francisco specific thing) or Boston Marathon, both of which are already their own things and hardly need the baseball team to "connect" to their city themselves?  Or the presumable "Los" that's going in front of the Dodgers name which is just putting the Spanish equivalent of "the" in front of the Dodgers name, really connects with the city. 

If they'd really wanted to do this, and I stand by that it's redundant anyway, they should have highlighted things that are local and only locals would know. Real connections. The Golden Gate Bridge is about as tourist trap nonsense as you can get in SF outside of Pier 39 (not to mention as I said it's not even an SF specific thing). And the Boston Marathon is as if not more well known than the Sox. This should have been an opportunity to highlight something lesser known about these cities that would have really spoken to and connected with locals. 

But man, I wouldn't have known San Francisco had fog were it not for those jerseys. 😂

1 hour ago, Quillz said:

But then it would be harder to sell these jerseys to non-locals, and that's all that really matters. If you get too specific, you eat into the bottom line.

Which again begs the question, what's the point? The Golden Gate Bridge isn't going to connect with locals. Nor is a jersey for a distant team really going to connect with anyone from out of town (a tourist). So what's the point? You either connect with the city, or stop wasting everyone's time with :censored: jerseys that no one is going to buy. 

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

But man, I wouldn't have known San Francisco had fog were it not for those jerseys. 😂

Right!?

If they ever get this travesty down to San Diego (fingers crossed the junk it next year and don't foist this bull :censored: on everyone else), I half expect the jersey to say "Stay Classy" on the front. Not realizing that movie sucked ass and wasn't even filmed here. 

Archived