Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

I know we uniform snobs can act like the sky is falling sometimes, but there's an obvious creep here. First it's the New Era logo on caps. Next it's the swoosh. We're most certainly only a few seasons away from ad patches on jerseys and decals on helmets. The owners and their corporate partners are not going to leave a single penny on the table. That's why we have in-game commercials and advertisements plastered onto pitching mounds now. The RSNs are now emerging as platforms for gambling.

Baseball has always been a for-profit enterprise. Advertisements date back to the earliest days. But there's been a noticeable, downward trajectory over the last five years. The owners have no qualms about sullying the game with any corporate venture they can think of. As much as I disliked Steinbrenner, at least he would stand up against this kind of BS.

9 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

EyTCpk4WgAA-_zu.jpg

Those numbers are going to be something. 

Kinda looks like the Red Wings winter classic numbers with the big round serifs (which I love). 

1 hour ago, cheo25 said:

That's the way it starts. You give them an inch, they take a mile. NBA teams play 82 games. How often do they wear their standard uniforms? The NBA doesn't even stick to standard home and away designations any more. And we have MLB teams who already wear their alternates too much and/or have too many alternates (looking at both Florida teams, just to pick two).

Furthermore, the problem with this series, much like the holiday uniforms, is that if I go to a game, I want to see a certain team in its regular uniforms. I don't want to see a team wearing an outfit that is not in its regular color palette. I want to see the Red Sox, not UCLA.

Eventually, this and/or other special uniform series will spread to all 30 teams. This could easily get out of control.

Come to think of it it IS pretty strange that UCLA shares Boston city colors, the baseball team’s B and the hockey team’s name. 

And now the baseball team uses numbers that are clearly meant to reference the Marathon finish line but look like the classic UCLA ones.

conspiracymeme.gif

57 minutes ago, Around the Horn said:

I'll take this over the Players Weekend jerseys *ducks*

I’ll take the right colors and the right typefaces (at least on one side of the jersey). Nothing about this is the Red Sox.

6 minutes ago, Digby said:

Come to think of it it IS pretty strange that UCLA shares Boston city colors, the baseball team’s B and the hockey team’s name. 

And now the baseball team uses numbers that are clearly meant to reference the Marathon finish line but look like the classic UCLA ones.

conspiracymeme.gif

Someone upthread said "thanks LeBron," but maybe this is what happens when a Laker gets into Boston ownership.

(Kidding, of course. Though remember when Kiki VanDeWeghe changed the colors of the Denver Nuggets to match UCLA? That was pretty messed up!)

24 minutes ago, Digby said:

conspiracymeme.gif

So Nike's lead designer on this is from UCLA? 

50 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Though remember when Kiki VanDeWeghe changed the colors of the Denver Nuggets to match UCLA? That was pretty messed up!

Was that how that happened?? Now I find out! I never did know why Denver changed their color scheme to that back then; I just thought it was to attract new interest on the back of their then-new star draftee Carmelo Anthony.

(I do remember liking it, though...)

I'm probably echoing the sentiments of what has already been said on the last several pages, but here goes...

If Nike's takeover of the NBA has taught us anything (and it certainly has), it's that Nike has no respect whatsoever for the concept of "tradition." Any scheme they can come up with that will allow them to sell a few more jerseys and make more money, is fair game to them.  Tradition, history, and loyalty be damned. I think all businesses think like this to some extent, but Nike just takes things to a whole new level of ugly... both literally and figuratively. I figured it was just a matter of time before we'd start seeing this crap happen in MLB.  But, I didn't think it would happen so soon, and be this extreme, especially to such a traditional and respectable organization.  In fact, the Red Sox are one of the LAST teams I would think would do something like this.  I guess I was wrong.

The day the Red Sox wear those things on the field will be a sad day for sure, it will feel like the end of MLB uniform sanity, all we can do is hope that MLB does not go the way that the NBA ended up going.  It will be especially jarring to see them worn at Fenway Park.  It will look so wrong and out of place...

Between the 'B' on the cap, the 'Boston' on the front of jersey, the '617' on the sleeve patch, the numbers on the back of the jersey, and the 'EST. 1901' on the socks, we're looking at five* different alphanumeric fonts at play here - three on the jerseys alone. What a mess.

* Six if you take into consideration the proprietary font in New Era's logo.