Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

If you showed someone picture of a normal Dodgers uniform and then also showed them a picture of a Mexican flag and a can of spray paint, which picture would connect to the city of LA more? This is terrible. It is also brutal aesthetically, with black "spray paint" on deep blue and a mess of a cap. 

Are those socks in the instagram photo real???? I think I saw those at Walgreens on a rack of other wacky dress socks...

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The hat is terrible. Full scripts should not be on hats.

I have always liked the Dodgers spring training uniform that is basically a blue version of their home uniform. Looked really sharp with white pants. I am not a fan of the blue pants. I want some teams to go with colored pants, but the Dodgers shouldn't be one of them. Their blue is too bright to wear head to toe.

And idek what the sleeves are trying to be.

Overall 3/10. Miami is definitely the best city connect thus far

Sorry, I'm on an iPad

These are an utter disgrace, especially the hat. Sticking "Los" in front of a team name is such a lazy way to celebrate Hispanic heritage. the Marlins used to slap a "Los" patch upon their jerseys in the final years before they moved to the new ballpark and it always struck me as halfhearted pandering. That's basically what these are, with the exception of the paint splatter effect on the sleeves, which doesn't really add anything.

These are even worse than San Francisco's, in my opinion. I'm really not feeling City Connect whatsoever now after the glimmer of hope offered by the Marlins and White Sox iterations.

A better way to pay tribute to the city's Hispanic heritage is to apologize for the theft of the land that Dodger Stadium was built on.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

This hat actually exists.

spacer.png

Over on Twitter, many are saying that if the jerseys had “Los Doyers” on it more people would’ve warmed up to it…including me. Then again, I’m happy they kept it simple.

Also, given the history, quite a few of the Latin@ population LOVE the Dodgers, so it’s not really pandering. Just a couple of nights ago they had their largest crowd of the season for Mexican Heritage Night. 

They hit a single when it could’ve been a home run. They JUST missed the pitch.

jersey-signature03.pngjersey-signature04.png

3 hours ago, EddieJ1984 said:

That's something just as dumb as tar being the reason would've been.

Well, the La Brea tar pits and the museum are just a short drive away down the street from the stadium, so tar actually would have been a subtle and clever nod that made sense, though probably only local LA area fans would have understood or gotten the reference.  

4 hours ago, guest23 said:

Back to the question. The traditional blue hat and white jersey is by far the dominant combo worn by fans. The next tier down is the gray jersey and either the gray or black LA fashion cap.

I'd argue the grey jersey being 2nd. I think just as many fans, if not more, wear the blue jerseys, myself included.  Randomly looking at crowd pics, blue is either the same as or greatly outnumbers the greys.  Like you said though, the regular home white is the most popular though. 

52,000 Pack Dodger Stadium on Reopening Day – NBC Los Angeles

Father of four critically injured during fight outside Dodger Stadium - New  York Daily News

Dodgers fans let Astros hear it with largest MLB crowd of 2021 – Orange  County Register

OHMYGODS that's really the hat?  Ay caramba.  At least come up with something that's even a little close to the traditional baseball aesthetic.  Maybe do something with Cuidad de Los Angeles and make a CLA monogram, or CdeLA or something like that.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I like the jersey by itself, though it's not all that much different from the regular blue ST/alt jersey. But the blue pants just seem like a little too much blue. Not enough contrast with blue caps, blue belts and blue shirts underneath. Maybe some red or white belts and undershirts would have helped it a little? I would have preferred them wearing the city jersey with their regular white pants though. I know these city unis were probably designed all at the same time, but the all-blue look seems too similar to the Cubs' Wrigleyville set. 

As for the cap...yeah, I agree with what everybody else has said. It's not very good at all. 

I think these are my final feelings/ratings for all 7 '21 city connect uni sets:

9.5 White Sox

8.0 Marlins

7.5 Cubs

7.0 Diamondbacks

6.5 Dodgers

5.0 Giants

3.0 Red Sox

1 hour ago, DarthBrett said:

I'd argue the grey jersey being 2nd. I think just as many fans, if not more, wear the blue jerseys, myself included.  Randomly looking at crowd pics, blue is either the same as or greatly outnumbers the greys.  Like you said though, the regular home white is the most popular though. 

52,000 Pack Dodger Stadium on Reopening Day – NBC Los Angeles

Father of four critically injured during fight outside Dodger Stadium - New  York Daily News

Dodgers fans let Astros hear it with largest MLB crowd of 2021 – Orange  County Register

You are correct I did not proofread. I would say gray and blue are tied for 2nd.

Archived