Nike Launches New MLB City Connect Uniform Series

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here’s the reference for the type choices. I  think it’s looked different in recent years, though.

spacer.png

I still don't have a website, but I have a dribbble now! http://dribbble.com/andyharry

[The postings on this site are my own and do not necessarily represent the position, strategy or opinions of adidas and/or its brands.]

6 minutes ago, andrewharrington said:

Here’s the reference for the type choices. I  think it’s looked different in recent years, though.

spacer.png

It's certainly a clever application of that style. I'll give them that. It would make a great t-shirt, or even a batting practice jersey -- and nothing more. 

Don't NHL teams do this on occasion? Trot out a one-off special jersey during warmups, then dress like professionals for the actual game? 

1 minute ago, AustinFromBoston said:

Would they have spared us from this abomination?

Yes, but Under Armour would've given us some other abomination.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

30 minutes ago, AustinFromBoston said:

This just makes the fact that Under Armor deal fell through all the more tragic. 

Would they have spared us from this abomination?

They’re all the same. Cheering for one of these brands over any other is silly. 

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, andrewharrington said:

spacer.png

Now that I think about it, they could have done a version of this White Sox jersey with the Boston script on the stripe 

543161012.1469319823.jpg

I saw, I came, I left.

6 hours ago, Marlins93 said:

Fair point, but the problem as I see it is that this is yet another gimmick uniform thrown into the rotation. You're now adding City Connect on top of Players Weekend, Mother's Day, Father's Day, Memorial Day, Independence Day, etc. Where does it end? Back when Turn Ahead The Clock was a thing, the league wasn't already swimming in hideous uniform gimmicks.

This further increases the chances of players reaching milestones and breaking major records in uniforms that look nothing like their team's traditional set.

This got me thinking from a cap stand point. Include your opening day patch, any inaugural season or anniversary patch, gold trimmed ws champs hat, jackie Robinson patch, asg patch (and subsequent cap), plus everything you mentioned, and the days of a bare-bone core design identity cap are numbered. A non patched basic Red Sox on field May soon be seen just 30% of the time vs. 80% of the time currently. 

I like the concept of "city" uniforms and I think these in particular look very good. more uniforms generally means more good uniforms, and in general I think most of the "traditional" uniform sets in baseball are boring as piss.

53Ocz8U.png

Also, one of the articles mentions this is a 3 year project with each new team being unveiled by the end of 2023, and presumably sticking with the same design for the duration of this project. This is not simply a one and done players weekend creation. This is the new wave of alternates. 

My estimates

-7 in 2021

-same 7 in 2022, with 11 additional teams in 2022

-same 7 from ‘21 and 11 from ‘22 come back, with 12 more for 2023. 

So what starts out as one game or one event will transform , and in 2023, as others have stated, by popular demand, they will have 5-6 weekends with them. And your new alternates are created. 

They really couldn’t have had a city connect weekend and just get it all released and over with at once?  This pain will continue for three years. 

7 hours ago, JayMac said:

It may be too early to say that but if the NBA is any indication, we may be heading in that direction. Personally, I don't trust Nike and the teams to have any kind of restraint. 

They have no restraint because of one thing:

vince mcmahon money GIF

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

You know what these uniforms are missing? Ads. Go ahead and make them a total sh— show. Terrible. Wonder what the pirates will do? Everything here is black and gold. And everyone threw stones when people have suggested a blue dodger alternate haha.

KISSwall09.jpg

1 hour ago, JerseyJimmy said:

more uniforms generally means more good uniforms,

Let me tell you about this league called the NBA...

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Archived