Adults arguing about Ken Anderson

Sport

1 hour ago, guest23 said:

That'll be one small ring.

Eat a fart. Before Mike Brown inherited the team the franchise had a winning record over their first 20something years. Even since then they've had a lot of exceptional players throughout their history and the fans have wanted this for literally decades. Ken Anderson and Ken Riley should be in the actual hall of fame, but aren't because the Bengals are terrible at self-promotion. Finally getting off their asses and acknowledging their past greats will help that cause and it's happening because Paul Brown's kid finally relinquished daily control of the franchise. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This Ken Anderson?  I only saw his last season, but there's nothing on that page that indicates he should have been a HOFer, even in the NFL where just about everyone gets in.  Maybe his longevity?  

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

1 hour ago, Sport said:

Eat a fart. Before Mike Brown inherited the team the franchise had a winning record over their first 20something years. Even since then they've had a lot of exceptional players throughout their history and the fans have wanted this for literally decades. Ken Anderson and Ken Riley should be in the actual hall of fame, but aren't because the Bengals are terrible at self-promotion. Finally getting off their asses and acknowledging their past greats will help that cause and it's happening because Paul Brown's kid finally relinquished daily control of the franchise. 

Not just self-promotion, the bengals are terrible at playing professional football.

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

This Ken Anderson?  I only saw his last season, but there's nothing on that page that indicates he should have been a HOFer, even in the NFL where just about everyone gets in.  Maybe his longevity?  

While I wouldn't label him a HOFer, he's certainly worthy of being in the Bengals' ring of honor. There's no doubt about that. He was the face of that franchise for more than a dozen years, including a MVP award, four Pro Bowls, and guided the team to a Super Bowl. 

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

There are plenty of people who think he should be in the hall. He even made the NFL networks top 10 not in the hall of fame.

https://youtu.be/EhyE3lX30cE

Also I don't know where you are getting this just about everyone gets in thing for the pro football hall of fame.

1 hour ago, BBTV said:

His case is his numbers are comparable or better than a lot of guys who are already in the hall of fame and he played most of his career in a defensive era and still has high completion percentages, yards, and yards per attempt. He won an MVP, Four times best passer rating, one of the best completion percentage of the era. He has objectively better stats than many QBs in the hall of fame including Terry Bradshaw. He has basically the same number of passing yards as Troy Aikman with fewer attempts. If Dan Fouts is the bar he's right there with Dan Fouts, who never won an MVP or played in a Super Bowl himself. If Ken Stabler's the bar he's way better than Ken Stabler. From the perspective of the story of football, you can't tell it without him - He was the guinea pig for the West Coast offense before it was called that. His numbers appear modern, but he played in the 70's when it was legal for DBs to murder wide receivers. There's no Joe Montana if Ken Anderson doesn't do it for ten years first. 

The reasons he's not in is the "FAME" part of Hall of Fame, which brings us back to how the Bengals don't celebrate their past great players, and that he didn't win a Super Bowl, which isn't a prerequisite to the Hall. He's got a really good Hall-of-Fame case and isn't even that hard to make. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

26 minutes ago, Sport said:

His case is his numbers are comparable or better than a lot of guys who are already in the hall of fame and he played most of his career in a defensive era and still has high completion percentages, yards, and yards per attempt. He won an MVP, Four times best passer rating, one of the best completion percentage of the era. He has objectively better stats than many QBs in the hall of fame including Terry Bradshaw. He has basically the same number of passing yards as Troy Aikman with fewer attempts. If Dan Fouts is the bar he's right there with Dan Fouts, who never won an MVP or played in a Super Bowl himself. If Ken Stabler's the bar he's way better than Ken Stabler. From the perspective of the story of football, you can't tell it without him - He was the guinea pig for the West Coast offense before it was called that. His numbers appear modern, but he played in the 70's when it was legal for DBs to murder wide receivers. There's no Joe Montana if Ken Anderson doesn't do it for ten years first. 

The reasons he's not in is the "FAME" part of Hall of Fame, which brings us back to how the Bengals don't celebrate their past great players, and that he didn't win a Super Bowl, which isn't a prerequisite to the Hall. He's got a really good Hall-of-Fame case and isn't even that hard to make. 

He has 50 less touchdowns, and 10,000 less passing yards than fouts and played one year longer. You consider that as being “right there” with him. Sorry you’re just wrong. Anderson had 4 great years admittedly but the remaining 11 he was mediocre at best. Stabler got in because of his Super Bowl win but also didn’t get in until after he died. At the same time though even with less stats he too was able to be a league MVP, be a 4x probowler, and lead the league in passing yards 4x just like Anderson. You can easily tell the story of football without mentioning ken Anderson because he honestly wasn’t that important. I barely heard of the guy other than from you claiming he’s a sure bet HOFer.

46 minutes ago, Eszcz21 said:

There are plenty of people who think he should be in the hall. He even made the NFL networks top 10 not in the hall of fame.

https://youtu.be/EhyE3lX30cE

Also I don't know where you are getting this just about everyone gets in thing for the pro football hall of fame.

naturally we have a lions fan sticking up for a bengals fan 🤣

What the hell?  Come in here to see if there is any news on the Bengals change, and instead see people taking lazy cheap shots at the Bengals franchise?  Tell you what, list all the teams you follow across various sports, and unless you are some despicable band-wagon front-runner, I bet we can find a few teams you feel connected to that are at least comparable to the Bengals.

Don't even respond @Sport... Ken Anderson should be in the HOF just based on his choice of facemask.

3 hours ago, dont care said:

He has 50 less touchdowns, and 10,000 less passing yards than fouts and played one year longer.

He has 1100 fewer pass attempts than Fouts. 

You consider that as being “right there” with him. Sorry you’re just wrong. Anderson had 4 great years admittedly but the remaining 11 he was mediocre at best. Stabler got in because of his Super Bowl win but also didn’t get in until after he died. At the same time though even with less stats he too was able to be a league MVP, be a 4x probowler, and lead the league in passing yards 4x just like Anderson. 

Whenever this comes up people always act like I invented the Ken Anderson for the Hall of Fame argument. Profootballreference has his him right below Fouts in their Approximate Value rankings so yeah, he's right there. He's above actual Hall of Famers on that list despite playing mostly in a defensive era. He's got the numbers and he's the highest QB on the list not in the Hall of Fame.

The case isn't insane. 

You can easily tell the story of football without mentioning ken Anderson because he honestly wasn’t that important. I barely heard of the guy other than from you claiming he’s a sure bet HOFer.

Not my fault you don't know football. 

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

What the hell?  Come in here to see if there is any news on the Bengals change, and instead see people taking lazy cheap shots at the Bengals franchise?  Tell you what, list all the teams you follow across various sports, and unless you are some despicable band-wagon front-runner, I bet we can find a few teams you feel connected to that are at least comparable to the Bengals.

The most basic members in our society always pick the lowest hanging fruit. It's not their fault. 

3 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Don't even respond @Sport... Ken Anderson should be in the HOF just based on his choice of facemask.

GOAT

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's not Kenny's fault that his path to the super bowl in his prime ran straight through Bum and Luv Ya Blue, not to mention the Steel Curtain (the AFC Central was absolutely brutal in the late 70's). Randall Cunningham is up there, too. Now THAT is a man you can't tell the story of the NFL without.

1 hour ago, Sport said:

You can easily tell the story of football without mentioning ken Anderson because he honestly wasn’t that important. I barely heard of the guy other than from you claiming he’s a sure bet HOFer.

Not my fault you don't know football. 

Just now, Htown1141 said:

Randall Cunningham is up there, too. Now THAT is a man you can't tell the story of the NFL without.

You can't tell the story of the NFL without Scott Norwood, but we aren't putting him in Canton.

6uXNWAo.png

5 hours ago, Sport said:

From the perspective of the story of football, you can't tell it without him - 

It's a good thing CCSLC doesn't do random drug tests.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

7 minutes ago, BBTV said:

It's a good thing CCSLC doesn't do random drug tests.

Joe Montana isn't JOE MONTANA without Ken Anderson leading the way so yeah I said what I said. It was also couched in sound reason, which you cut out. I'll repost so you can read it again. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

14 minutes ago, Cujo said:

You can't tell the story of the NFL without Scott Norwood, but we aren't putting him in Canton.

That's a nice false equivalency.  

PvO6ZWJ.png

Just now, Sport said:

Joe Montana isn't JOE MONTANA without Ken Anderson

How this reads: Ken Anderson made Joe Montana's career.

How it happened: Montana crushed Anderson in the Super Bowl and never looked back.

6uXNWAo.png

Just now, Cujo said:

Ken Anderson proved Bill Walsh's offense could work in the NFL. Bill Walsh doesn't get a head coaching gig without him so yes in a way he did. 

Just now, Cujo said:

How it happened: Montana crushed Anderson in the Super Bowl and never looked back.

It was actually a close game, but Joe Montana's career after that doesn't diminish Ken Anderson's stats. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

11 minutes ago, Sport said:
14 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Ken Anderson proved Bill Walsh's offense could work in the NFL. Bill Walsh doesn't get a head coaching gig without him so yes in a way he did. 

Ken Anderson made Montana AND Walsh? That's unbelievable! Tell me more

6uXNWAo.png

He was the prototype West Coast Offense QB.  His numbers don't look flashy next to what we expect from todays QBs but you can only compare him to the players of his era (the deadball era), where he compares favorably even though some of them are Hall of Famers themselves.  He surely wouldn't be the worst QB in the Hall of Fame.  He has a stronger case than Fouts, who's already in the hall.

IUe6Hvh.png

Archived