Sign in to follow this  
Sport

Adults arguing about Ken Anderson

3 minutes ago, See Red said:

I mean, a significant part of the man's argument is that the Bengals have failed their could-be Hall of Famers, so I don't think this is a very strong argument.

And looking into that quickly, the Bengals only issued #14 after Anderson began coaching for the Steelers.  Neil O'Donnell wore #14 everywhere BUT Cincinnati and Andy Dalton only wore the number with Anderson's permission.

Fwiw, undrafted 2nd year WR Scotty Washington now wears Bengals #14

28 minutes ago, Cujo said:

This is Pacman Jones.

Adam-JonesAdam-Jones-242x300.jpg

Are we going to pretend like Champ Bailey wasn't one of the best corners to ever play the game because of it?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, See Red said:

This is Pacman Jones.

Adam-JonesAdam-Jones-242x300.jpg

Are we going to pretend like Champ Bailey wasn't one of the best corners to ever play the game because of it?

Eh, give me a recent HOF QB a team has done this with.

I feel quarterbacks are more 'prestigious' when it comes to numbers being taken out of circulation.

Even guys we would classify as "pretty good QBs"  -- like Andrew Luck. Are any Colts wearing #12 yet?

Edited by Cujo

22 minutes ago, Cujo said:

Eh, give me a recent HOF QB a team has done this with.

I feel quarterbacks are more 'prestigious' when it comes to numbers being taken out of circulation.

Even guys we would classify as "pretty good QBs"  -- like Andrew Luck. Are any Colts wearing #12 yet?

95902455-850x560.jpeg

1047276226.jpeg

For Christ's sake a two second Google search would have told you there's a #12 on the Colts roster.

11 hours ago, Sport said:

I don't think it says anything about his accomplishments that they let Andy Dalton wear it for ten years.

11 hours ago, Cujo said:

Don't forget about Maurice Purify!

SportIsAClown-FindTheLie.png

2 hours ago, BBTV said:

This isn't real, right?  This is just pro-Bengals homer schtick.

Saying that "the story of the NFL can't be told without Ken Anderson" is absolutely beyond any shadow of a doubt insane.  That's not to say anything bad of him, but that statement is so absurd that it's hard for me to believe that anyone is saying it in sincerity and not as a joke.

And I'm old enough to have been watching in the mid '80s (granted, after Anderson) and have never heard anyone speak of him. The story of the NFL has been told 1,000 times without him.

I like Sport’s overall point about Ken Anderson being a worthy HOFer, and it sounds like a very solid case in the very least. 

That being said, if you had held a gun to my head before this particular debate and asked me to name every single quarterback I could possibly ever think of, I never would’ve mentioned Ken Anderson. Beyond hearing his name spoken by some deep baritone narrator on old NFL Films documentaries (mostly about the Niners beating the Bengals in the Super Bowl) I had never even heard of him. 

9 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

I like Sport’s overall point about Ken Anderson being a worthy HOFer, and it sounds like a very solid case in the very least. 

That being said, if you had held a gun to my head before this particular debate and asked me to name every single quarterback I could possibly ever think of, I never would’ve mentioned Ken Anderson. Beyond hearing his name spoken by some deep baritone narrator on old NFL Films documentaries (mostly about the Niners beating the Bengals in the Super Bowl) I had never even heard of him. 

There's 4 reasons for that by my count:

1. If he'd been rightly inducted you would've heard of him more. He's the only guy in his tier in his era not in the Hall of Fame so he's left off a lot of discussions

2. He never won a Super Bowl, which again is not a prerequisite for the Hall of Fame, but you don't get famous when you lose a super bowl.

3. He was a quiet nerd who played in a small market for a team that doesn't get a lot of national love. If he played in, IDK, Philadelphia, just to pick a random city at random totally randomly. If he'd played in Philadelphia the only city in the world he'd probably more heralded. 

4. I'll say it one more time - the Bengals have historically done a terrible job of celebrating their past great players, which means their names come across HoF voters minds less often than other teams. Multiple great players from the franchise's good teams have said things like "they've never invited me back", or "yeah I'd love to have reunions with my old teammates, but the team isn't interested in us." Only recently did they do stuff for the 88 Super Bowl team and the 50th anniversary. And the stuff they did looked and felt like bare minimum no effort and kind of embarrassingly low-budg. That's why the announcement for this ring of honor is nice to hear and it's a sign that the team's under new management, which has to be an improvement from the guy who led things the last 30 years. 

If guys wanna be :censored:ing meatballs and play Hall of Fame cop that's their prerogative, but he has a better case than comparable QBs in his actual era who are actually in the HoF. That's all I'm saying. 

11 hours ago, Cujo said:

You can't tell the story of the NFL without Scott Norwood, but we aren't putting him in Canton.

* Offseason and/or practice squad member only
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics
FG Attempts: 184
FG Made: 133
Pct: 72.3

Why not? 

Lou Groza

Career NFL statistics
Games played: 216
Field goals: 234/405 (57.8%)
Longest field goal: 52
Extra points: 641/657 (97.6%)

Jan Stenerud

Field goals: 373/558 (66.8%)
Longest field goal: 55
Extra points: 580/601 (96.5%)
Points scored: 1,699

George Blanda

TDINT: 236–277
Passing yards: 26,920
Completion percentage: 47.7
Passer rating: 60.6
Field goals: 335/639 (52.4%)
Extra points: 943/959 (98.3%)

His numbers are way better than 3 of the 4 PK's currently in the Hall. No reason he can't be in because of his most famous miss. Morten Anderson is the other PK in the Hall, Vinatieri will obviously be in some day. 

Morten Anderson

Games played: 382
Field goals: 565/709 (.797)
Extra points: 849/859 (.988)
Points scored: 2,544

9 hours ago, FiddySicks said:

I agree with this. Ken Anderson makes an intriguing case, and I find him an equally intriguing figure precisely because he's still easy to overlook, despite his impressive careeer. There are are a lot of guys in the Hall of Fame who weren't household names before making it in, so I wouldn't consider that an indictment.

And I also don't blame @Sport for repeating his arguments. It can be frustrating when people dismiss your arguments while seeming to intentionally miss the point of them. It was abundantly and clearly explained what he meant when suggesting Anderson paved the way for Montana. It's infuriating to see that misconstrued as a direct comparison, or even a suggestion that without one, the other wouldn't have become a star. 

The info well has dried up so much we’ve resorted to a Ken Anderson HoF debate? We need a leak to save this thread.

20 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

I agree with this. Ken Anderson makes an intriguing case, and I find him an equally intriguing figure precisely because he's still easy to overlook, despite his impressive careeer. There are are a lot of guys in the Hall of Fame who weren't household names before making it in, so I wouldn't consider that an indictment.

And I also don't blame @Sport for repeating his arguments. It can be frustrating when people dismiss your arguments while seeming to intentionally miss the point of them. It was abundantly and clearly explained what he meant when suggesting Anderson paved the way for Montana. It's infuriating to see that misconstrued as a direct comparison, or even a suggestion that without one, the other wouldn't have become a star. 

I kind of did say the last point, but I backed it up with facts and reason. Also I never said that's the only reason Joe Montana was great. I NEVER said Ken Anderson would've won 4 Super Bowls with the 49ers like someone claimed. I NEVER said Ken Anderson was better than Joe Montana. One point was pulled and argued out of context, which is just a lame boner thing to do. Full stop. 

3 minutes ago, AgentColon2 said:

The info well has dried up so much we’ve resorted to a Ken Anderson HoF debate? We need a leak to save this thread.

Supposedly there's a Joe Burrow Funko pop that's coming out and it says he's going to be in the "away" uniform so if that leaks we'll know what the white jersey and the pants look like. 

There's your uniform information you guys are looking for. 

16 minutes ago, Sport said:

I kind of did say the last point, but I backed it up with facts and reason. Also I never said that's the only reason Joe Montana was great. I NEVER said Ken Anderson would've won 4 Super Bowls with the 49ers like someone claimed. I NEVER said Ken Anderson was better than Joe Montana. One point was pulled and argued out of context, which is just a lame boner thing to do. Full stop. 

This is one of those "holy crap, I'm officially old" type moments because what the heck does this even mean? I know it's English words, but it's not a language I speak. Also at what point will this stupid argument just end or move elsewhere...

Just now, PaleVermilion81 said:

This is one of those "holy crap, I'm officially old" type moments because what the heck does this even mean? I know it's English words, but it's not a language I speak.

I'm 33 and this is not slang that the kids are saying. It was lame behavior and it was boner behavior - ergo it was a lame boner thing to do. That's the best way to describe it. 

Just now, PaleVermilion81 said:

Also at what point will this stupid argument just end or move elsewhere...

I'm ready to end it as I've thoroughly made the case multiple times.

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:
 * Offseason and/or practice squad member only
Career NFL statistics
FG Attempts: 184
FG Made: 133
Pct: 72.3

Why not? 

Lou Groza

Career NFL statistics
Games played: 216
Field goals: 234/405 (57.8%)
Longest field goal: 52
Extra points: 641/657 (97.6%)

Jan Stenerud

Field goals: 373/558 (66.8%)
Longest field goal: 55
Extra points: 580/601 (96.5%)
Points scored: 1,699

George Blanda

TDINT: 236–277
Passing yards: 26,920
Completion percentage: 47.7
Passer rating: 60.6
Field goals: 335/639 (52.4%)
Extra points: 943/959 (98.3%)

His numbers are way better than 3 of the 4 PK's currently in the Hall. No reason he can't be in because of his most famous miss. Morten Anderson is the other PK in the Hall, Vinatieri will obviously be in some day. 

Morten Anderson

Games played: 382
Field goals: 565/709 (.797)
Extra points: 849/859 (.988)
Points scored: 2,544

I don't mean to be rude but was this post supposed to be a joke?

3 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

I don't mean to be rude but was this post supposed to be a joke?

He's got better numbers than 3 of the 4 people in the Hall of Fame. Not at all. People like to use one play to kick him in the nuts when he was literally at least better than 3/4 of the PK's in the hall of Fame. Is he better than some of the kickers now? Nope not at all. But he's better than players that we decided were great enough to make the Hall of Fame. 

18 hours ago, guest23 said:

naturally we have a lions fan sticking up for a bengals fan 🤣

Damn straight. We have to stick together. Plus I'll take the word of those former players, coaches, and hall of fame voters in that video over some randoms on a uniform discussion board.

2 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

He's got better numbers than 3 of the 4 people in the Hall of Fame. Not at all. People like to use one play to kick him in the nuts when he was literally at least better than 3/4 of the PK's in the hall of Fame. Is he better than some of the kickers now? Nope not at all. But he's better than players that we decided were great enough to make the Hall of Fame. 

How are his stats better? He played only 6 years. He might have a better percentage but his totals are so far less than the others he doesn’t have an argument to make the HOF