Small Baseball Club Redesign

AusGiant

Hi all. My local baseball club looks like they are moving toward a new look, so I've decided to put up my hand and rediscover my liking for logo design. 

The mascot is a native Australian bird, the kookaburra (shortened to 'Burras'), and the colours are green and yellow.

It goes without saying that the current primary logo (also featured on the cap) is terrible. Warning to your retinas:

Spoiler

spacer.png

Here are my logos.

spacer.png

Top-bottom, left-right goes primary, secondary, cap, patch and wordmark logos.

Comments and criticism welcome.

The updated bird is really nice; an astronomical upgrade over the scary Schoolhouse Rock-looking character that they're using! I've mostly got a bunch of nitpicky composition concerns.

I'd switch out the block font you're using, at least for the cap logo, where it feels a bit too generic to be ideal. Heck, even just the bird & bat on the cap would be exciting!

That roundel is really nice, and I appreciate the inclusion of the founding year, btw. That said, I'd also consider moving the bird leftward and downward a touch in the roundel, because it feels slightly off-center, even if it isn't really. Either way, the roundel shines as a potential replacement for the primary logo, which kinda feels redundant and awkwardly composed in comparison!

I'd assume that these cap logos/wordmarks/etc. would appear on a green background, at least sometimes... I think you might need a version with things like the bat and the letter G in yellow for those cases.

Not a concern or really necessary, but I'd be curious to see if you could get the bird onto the wordmark somehow (maybe sitting on the B? or St Louis Cardinals style?), because it's too beautiful not to be the star of the show somehow :)

Anyways, good work!

Updated cap logo. The club has a history of block G cap logos, hence the rather generic look.

spacer.png

Updated wordmark logo. I found a better font.

spacer.png

Bat colour change comparison

spacer.png

The main issue with the primary logo is the use of the location needs to be central. As you're probably aware baseball isn't a well known sport in Australia, hence the location name has to be at the forefront rather than the nickname. I guess the roundel can fill that void, but there's something I like about the primary logo. I'm trying to capture a hardball style feel if that makes sense..

Being in Australia myself, I totally get that. I think you've done a great job with all of your logos. I actually like the block G on the first cap logo over the second one. You know your club's history, go with the one you think best fits it.

I do like the second script font for the jersey wordmark better that the first. I'm not the biggest fan of loopy curvise fonts and think the second is more "basebally" despite the B not connecting. Which font is it?

The roundel, primary and bird on bat are all very good. Go with the gold bat over the green one.

I daresay if they go with your design, your club will have the best look of the comp.

2 hours ago, BigRed75 said:

Being in Australia myself, I totally get that. I think you've done a great job with all of your logos. I actually like the block G on the first cap logo over the second one. You know your club's history, go with the one you think best fits it.

I do like the second script font for the jersey wordmark better that the first. I'm not the biggest fan of loopy curvise fonts and think the second is more "basebally" despite the B not connecting. Which font is it?

The roundel, primary and bird on bat are all very good. Go with the gold bat over the green one.

I daresay if they go with your design, your club will have the best look of the comp.

I think I prefer the 2nd G logo, seeing as it's more recognisable from a distance. 

The font is called San Andreas. I added the swash myself (thanks to the Dodgers' logo lol).

Oh that would not be very difficult haha. There's a team called the road runners in our league, you could imagine the logo they use 🤦‍♂️

Here's everything with a green background

spacer.png

On 4/16/2021 at 4:33 PM, AusGiant said:

Oh that would not be very difficult haha. There's a team called the road runners in our league, you could imagine the logo they use 🤦‍♂️

I can imagine! We have our fair share of overly complicated and complete rip-off logos here in the West

I'm guessing you're in Victoria? The old club logo has a very William Ellis Green-like feel to it.

12 hours ago, BigRed75 said:

I can imagine! We have our fair share of overly complicated and complete rip-off logos here in the West

I'm guessing you're in Victoria? The old club logo has a very William Ellis Green-like feel to it.

Yep, in Vic. We've had a few guys from WA come over and play for local clubs around my area. Most notably De San Miguel

You're right with the Weg comparison. Perhaps it was an original by him from back in the day. I might ask around about it now that you mention it 

On 4/15/2021 at 9:32 PM, AusGiant said:

Updated cap logo. The club has a history of block G cap logos, hence the rather generic look.

Definitely think that the new cap logo font is miles better; it was way more of a classic feel. I guess "generic" wasn't quite the word I was looking for for the first one, but IMO it has neither the old-time vibe nor some unique flair to it (but maybe it's just that I've been staring at that Jersey M54 font way too much myself during my own projects :P)

On 4/15/2021 at 9:32 PM, AusGiant said:

The main issue with the primary logo is the use of the location needs to be central. As you're probably aware baseball isn't a well known sport in Australia, hence the location name has to be at the forefront rather than the nickname. I guess the roundel can fill that void, but there's something I like about the primary logo. I'm trying to capture a hardball style feel if that makes sense..

Still not feeling the updated primary logo, but definitely a fair point about wanting the location name to be prominent in a primary logo.

Maybe you could use the cursive font for "Greensborough," put it underneath the bird, and make the "Baseball Club" a bit smaller to fit under that?

Mostly I really appreciate how well everything turned out on the green background! I like the decision to remove the inner outline of the roundel, and the updated wordmark font is really nice too (it's hard to decide which is better!)

On 4/19/2021 at 1:20 PM, vtgco said:

Definitely think that the new cap logo font is miles better; it was way more of a classic feel. I guess "generic" wasn't quite the word I was looking for for the first one, but IMO it has neither the old-time vibe nor some unique flair to it (but maybe it's just that I've been staring at that Jersey M54 font way too much myself during my own projects :P)

Still not feeling the updated primary logo, but definitely a fair point about wanting the location name to be prominent in a primary logo.

Maybe you could use the cursive font for "Greensborough," put it underneath the bird, and make the "Baseball Club" a bit smaller to fit under that?

Mostly I really appreciate how well everything turned out on the green background! I like the decision to remove the inner outline of the roundel, and the updated wordmark font is really nice too (it's hard to decide which is better!)

You're definitely onto something with the primary logo. It's the one logo I still find myself not completely happy with 

• 5 weeks later...

Here's an update guys!

The hoodies were made. They were an earlier design as the bat is still just an outline, but I'm not fussed with that. 

4yLBTAV.jpg

Hats, along with a full brand 'unveil' are next.

I've also messed around and made a kookaburra a la Baltimore Oriole. I'd like to run this past @raysox first though, as I used his 'other birds as the orioles logo' project as inspo. I'll post it once (or if) I get his blessings

Archived