Cincinnati Bengals New Uniforms

Jezus_Ghoti

4 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Saw this Bengals concept on Instagram

spacer.png

"TiGeRs aRe OrAnGe, sO tHe UniFoRms ShOuLd bE aLL oRaNge"

This falls into the same trap as the current uniforms, being a tiger costume instead of a football uniform with tiger elements.

spacer.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, DNAsports said:

Saw this Bengals concept on Instagram

spacer.png

The problem I have with these is that the stripes are supposed to be black and orange but come off as just black (especially on the white jersey). I agree that if they were contained, it would look more black and orange than just incidental black stripes. And avoids the need for an orange yoke which would be the only solution on this white jersey but would look bad.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

Yeah no thanks to that. That's worse than what they've been wearing. Every concept I've seen is trying too hard and looks worse than what they should do, which is a Chargers-like modern revival of their classic uniforms. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

You know what else that concept got wrong? Contrasting socks/pants. The nfl (unfortunately) loves the leotard look and the new white leotard look cause it’s “clean” on white and “fire” on color (farting sound) 

KISSwall09.jpg

The numbers are what get me in that concept. Either the concept's creator didn't take the time to ensure the stroke wasn't rounded or else (and worse) the creator chose numbers with rounded corners. While the Viking's uniforms of 2006 to 2012 were pretty bad in total, one element that made them even worse were the inexplicably rounded block numbers. There were no actual corners on those numbers even though they really weren't "round" numbers either. It was as if the designers of those uniforms intentionally looked for ways to make them worse in an almost subliminal way. (I feel like the Cardinals also suffer from this.) And I'm immediately getting the same feeling from this concept's numbers. They're awful and it makes a uniform set that I could potentially live with into something that just makes me question why?

1 hour ago, Ted Cunningham said:

The numbers are what get me in that concept. Either the concept's creator didn't take the time to ensure the stroke wasn't rounded or else (and worse) the creator chose numbers with rounded corners. While the Viking's uniforms of 2006 to 2012 were pretty bad in total, one element that made them even worse were the inexplicably rounded block numbers. There were no actual corners on those numbers even though they really weren't "round" numbers either. It was as if the designers of those uniforms intentionally looked for ways to make them worse in an almost subliminal way. (I feel like the Cardinals also suffer from this.) And I'm immediately getting the same feeling from this concept's numbers. They're awful and it makes a uniform set that I could potentially live with into something that just makes me question why?

You see it all the time because the default stroke option in Photoshop is rounded corners, for some reason. This person typed out their digits, stroked them, then called it done. There's other, better ways to do it in photoshop, but noobs don't know. I find the easiest way is just to make my numbers in illustrator and then copy them into photoshop as their own image. 

And you're right, those Vikings numbers were so annoying the entire time they wore them. It's a small thing, but made the uniform look super amateurish, on top of everything else that was so "Pop Warner All Star Team" about those uniforms. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'll hate these just because those shouder stripes, so "perfect looking" (had to resist a bad pun there) on these photshops, will never look that smooth in real life.

Even if they did, I still wouldn't like it. Trying too hard is a great description.

It's where I sit.

I feel like the one redeeming quality of the current uniform is the tiger striping consistency. The black and orange smooth lines with the points, it's cohesive. Where that concept gets me is the pants and shoulder stripes are different on the white unis, they dont match. I'd prefer cohesiveness over nitpicking on the stripe style.

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

18 hours ago, burgundy said:

This falls into the same trap as the current uniforms, being a tiger costume instead of a football uniform with tiger elements.

I demand cat ears on the helmets, whiskers on the face masks and tails on the pants! All gloves shall henceforth be fashioned in the likeness of kitty paws!

THE FANS HAVE SPOKEN!

9 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

I demand cat ears on the helmets, whiskers on the face masks and tails on the pants! All gloves shall henceforth be fashioned in the likeness of kitty paws!

THE FANS HAVE SPOKEN!

I'm all for this.  Let's put foam ram horns on the Rams helmets, and viking horns coming out the side of theirs.  Sew wings onto the back panels of the Eagles jerseys, and black tails on the Panthers pants.  Why TF not?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

17 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

THE FANS HAVE SPOKEN!

The Florida Panthers actually had claws on their gloves when they unveiled their inaugural uniforms. They were scrapped before the team took the ice.

spacer.png

spacer.png

12 minutes ago, spartacat_12 said:

The Florida Panthers actually had claws on their gloves when they unveiled their inaugural uniforms. They were scrapped before the team took the ice.

spacer.png

spacer.png

That is a fun fact. It's only on the gloves, so I don't hate it. But it definitely screams, "minor league".

spacer.png

20 hours ago, burgundy said:

Eh, it's a little campy (which I think works great for the Bengals personally) but I'm not sold on the "tiger costume" criticism (for this or their current look).

The numbers have a single stroke, there are some shoulder stripes, a sleeve logo, and a contained panel of stripes on the pants. Looks like a football uniform to me. It's certainly worthy of critique, and I'm not a monochrome guy, but I wouldn't mind something like this.

I expect a design more akin to a modern template of the 90s look, which is fine, but I like the current shoulder stripes and wouldn't mind it if the team went a more fun route.

If the Ravens absolutely have to go with two non-contrasting colors so they can look like Ravens, then I guess the Bengals need to focus on orange with some gradient to white on the bellies.

(I'm against both ideas)

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

RhmOMvO.gif

I love it.

g4DQbI6.gif

"If things have gone wrong, I'm talking to myself, and you've got a wet towel wrapped around your head."

On 2/28/2021 at 5:58 PM, burgundy said:

ⁱ ᵈᵒⁿ’ᵗ ʰᵃᵗᵉ ᵗʰᵉ ᵃˡˡ ᵒʳᵃⁿᵍᵉ ᵘⁿⁱᶠᵒʳᵐ• 

If you hadn't noticed, Chawls loves his wrestling, whether it be real life or sim. :D

20 hours ago, O.C.D said:

THE FANS HAVE SPOKEN!

Seconded! We want it and we want it RIGHT MEOW!

On 2/23/2021 at 5:29 PM, Sport said:

Pro Football Talk published an article about the news that the helmet would not be changing and said something like "the Bengals have not had a major overhaul of their uniforms since the debut of the tiger stripes in 1981". I shook my head until it fell off. SInce then they've had a minor overhaul of their uniforms and a major overhaul. 

2823033-850x560.jpeg

rudi-johnson-of-the-cincinnati-bengals-i

yeah totally not a major overhaul. 

Add this to the list of things Pro Football Talk gets wrong. Clickbait site with half-baked and sensational opinions run by a total douchebag.

Archived