Cincinnati Bengals New Uniforms

Jezus_Ghoti

3 hours ago, Cujo said:

Ummm, so the Cubs call the city of Chicago home?

Also, clean/traditional logos are usually undefeated when up against anything created in the mid-2000s.

BUT

They don't use that C to spell Chicago. They use it to spell Cubs.

Can't wait for the new Bengals uniforms 🤣🤣🤣

It's where I sit.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

BUT

They don't use that C to spell Chicago. They use it to spell Cubs.

Since we're on topic -- Remind me, doesn't the Green Bay Packers "G" legit stand for Greatness and not Green Bay?

6uXNWAo.png

6 hours ago, Sport said:

That was a rebrand. All rebrands are major overhauls, not all major overhauls are rebrands. It's a square/rectangle situation. 

What the Bengals did to their uniforms in 2004 was absolutely a major overhaul. Same goes for the 2005 Cardinals and 2006 Vikings.

Are all rebrands major overhauls though? I would consider a rebrand having to do with the logo, while a major overhaul has to do with the uniforms. In theory, a team could dramatically change their logo/identity while keeping the uniform. It may have happened before, but I can't think of an example though.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

2 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

Are all rebrands major overhauls though? I would consider a rebrand having to do with the logo, while a major overhaul has to do with the uniforms. In theory, a team could dramatically change their logo/identity while keeping the uniform. It may have happened before, but I can't think of an example though.

Just thought of one. Washington Football Team last year was a rebrand but not a major overhaul. Not permanent, but still.

Carolina Panthers (2012 - Pres)Carolina Hurricanes (2000 - Pres)

26 minutes ago, throwuascenario said:

Dallas Texans changed to the Kansas City Chiefs, and I believe they only changed their logo on the helmet. 

6 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I'm with you.

403.png

is better than

377.gif

Is better than

3108.gif

I have to say, I hate the "B" logo with tiger stripes in it. What does it even represent? Honestly, the Cincinnati Bengals would be better off using an actual Bengal tiger head logo as its primary club logo. That's my favorite of the three logos here, just because I also don't feel like the Bengals should be ripping off the Cleveland Browns by using their helmet logo as their logo. My favorite is the Bengal tiger head logo.

On 1/22/2021 at 2:11 AM, Justpassingby said:

The helmets will be a matte black shell with gloss orange decals that make it almost indiscernible to casual uniform fans from the previous ones but also make it possible to swap them for white stripe decals for the color rush. I’m calling it now.

9 hours ago, Justpassingby said:

Pardon? I literally only have one other “prediction” and it was half in jest. FauxbackFootball.

your hostility is... weird to say the least.

Not your only prediction not even on this thread that has since been proven wrong.

10 hours ago, Cujo said:

Since we're on topic -- Remind me, doesn't the Green Bay Packers "G" legit stand for Greatness and not Green Bay?

Not sure if serious. You DO know that the whole Tiki Barber thing is because he got pranked by believing what someone wrote on Wiki, right?

To answer your question, the G is the logo that was designed per Lombardi's request, and it stands for Green Bay.

How about them Chicagos with that logo, though 🙂

It's where I sit.

10 hours ago, throwuascenario said:

This is the closest example I can think of -- Ravens 1997-98 vs. 1999.  The primary/helmet logo changed, but the uniform was otherwise identical.

spacer.pngspacer.png

In 2000, they moved the shield logo to the sleeves and put the B logo on the pants.  Otherwise, they have remained mostly unchanged since then.

spacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

Are all rebrands major overhauls though?

Yes. By definition rebrand means changing the entire package. 

I would consider a rebrand having to do with the logo, while a major overhaul has to do with the uniforms. In theory, a team could dramatically change their logo/identity while keeping the uniform. It may have happened before, but I can't think of an example though.

Rebrand has to do with both the uniforms and logo. Overhaul can specifically address the uniforms while maintaining the larger brand elements. Overhaul can also address the logo in small ways, but keep the uniforms the same and maintain the same brand. 

Example: the Baltimore Ravens were forced to change their logo, but their uniforms remained largely the same. The new logo took inspiration from their original logos and secondary logos and maintained the same ideas, feelings, colors associated with their original logo. The "brand" remained even though the logo changed. Around the same time the Tampa Bay Buccaneers changed everything. Everything they wanted people to feel when they looked at the new red and pewter look was completely new from the feelings people associated with the creamsicle uniforms and logos. The brand changed. 

Just thought of one. Washington Football Team last year was a rebrand but not a major overhaul. Not permanent, but still.

This is a special circumstance that is still in the middle of the rebrand process. Usually we don't see the changes made incrementally across a few seasons, but it's kind of the exception that proves the rule. They could very well decide to keep their uniforms the same to reference the team's past while calling themselves the Washington BLANK. They might decide that they need a clean break and go with something entirely new in 2022. But we can circle back if and when that happens. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

In actual Bengals news they published an article on their website and this quote filled me with some hope. 

"First, in case you have not heard, we are getting new uniforms. I know many of you have asked for these for quite some time. It's a long process working with NIKE and the NFL and, like I said above, we have high standards. We want this next iteration of our jersey to become as beloved, iconic and timeless as our helmet. We'll be publishing a LOT of great content around the launch of our new uniforms later this spring. I will leave you with this tease to say that I hope you're excited for a clean look."

Going for "timeless" and "clean" is a good goal to shoot for in a uniform design in my opinion. Who the heck knows what she means by "clean" or "timeless", but I doubt their redesign in 2004 focused on cleanliness or timelessness. They look like they strove to make them as busy and dated as they could. 

If all they do is remove the white side panel then it'll be an improvement. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

50 minutes ago, leopard88 said:

This is the closest example I can think of -- Ravens 1997-98 vs. 1999.  The primary/helmet logo changed, but the uniform was otherwise identical.

spacer.pngspacer.png

In 2000, they moved the shield logo to the sleeves and put the B logo on the pants.  Otherwise, they have remained mostly unchanged since then.

spacer.png

I've always liked the Ravens uniforms. When they first started I felted they emulated Jaguars style intentionally or unintentionally with the triple colors and full animal on the sleeve. Styles that were new innovative very 90's with a unique color since only the Vikes had purple at the time but not a trendy teal either. They did drop the bird for the shield but and forced to change the primary, But they have essentially maintained the same uniform since 00 and still look like they belong in 2021. Its pretty cool for a such a young franchise, something I wish Jacksonville would've done  Carolina has maintained but is starting to look dated IMO.  

#DTWD #GoJaguars

I'd say the Ravens' tapered helmet stripes are pretty dated. A single purple stripe would probably look pretty nice, or a purple stripe with thin gold stripes would look good too. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

10 hours ago, CATLogo1 said:

I have to say, I hate the "B" logo with tiger stripes in it. What does it even represent? Honestly, the Cincinnati Bengals would be better off using an actual Bengal tiger head logo as its primary club logo. That's my favorite of the three logos here, just because I also don't feel like the Bengals should be ripping off the Cleveland Browns by using their helmet logo as their logo. My favorite is the Bengal tiger head logo.

"B" is for "Bengals." In the midwest, there are standalone "C" logos for the Cleveland baseball team, the Cincinnati baseball team, the Chicago baseball team, and the Chicago football team. That's a pretty crowded marketplace for yet another C logo, so I think it's smart to go with the B.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Using a B gives you more surface area to work with than a C does. I've yet to see a concept with a tiger striped C that looks better than the B. I've tried to create many myself and I'm a world class logo and graphic designer 🙃 If I, a genius, can't crack the code then the code is uncrackable. 

My issue with that logo isn't that it's a B. My issue with it is that it's bland and they have better logos locked away in a vault. (see: my avatar*)

*I think I'll explain the joke of my avatar here: In my early days on the boards people would critique that logo with, "the head's too small". I see now that they're not wrong, but I was a dumb brat 15 year old teaching myself illustrator and I took criticisms of my favorite team's logo personally so I made the head bigger. Way too big. That's the entire joke. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

It's not the best tiger B in the world, but it's fine for a polo or letterhead logo. The jumping tiger is more dynamic for sure, but it's also a literal tiger and some people aren't secure enough with themselves to have a literal tiger represent who they are (even a team named after a :censored:ing big cat).

I've said this before, but the Bengals were my first favorite team as a small child because they had the coolest uniforms in the NFL by a mile -- their helmets were tiger striped! The game in the NFL has completely changed since then, and teams chased all kinds of fads, including the Bengals themselves to make them even more tiger-like.

I wonder if they'll ever be able to capture the obvious cool factor they had in the 80s. Or in a league with gradients and nametags, if that's even possible.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Archived