Cincinnati Bengals New Uniforms

Jezus_Ghoti

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

If the Bengals have stripes AND wordmarks available this year, then the two shell rule is good to go. Otherwise the one helmet rule is still in affect. You don't want to slap extra layers of paint on a helmet. 

Yeah they don't use orange shells like you'd think. Not sure when they switched from decals to painted stripes, but during the throwback bonanza In 1994 they were using decals on orange helmets at the time. They ripped off all the stripes and replaced them with the wordmarks (and chose to keep the black facemasks). But they've been getting helmets painted for a long time now because they're more durable and equipment managers don't have to spend as much time replacing damaged decals. So just paint them orange? No can do. Every team is a simple paint job away from having the correct color to necessitate a proper throwback, but painting shells is not allowed under the one helmet rule. 

If they're wearing throwbacks in the future that would mean a few different possibilities

1. If the one helmet rule is still in effect and if the Bengals are still painting their helmets then that means the only throwbacks they could pull off would be the 80's or 90's looks. (Unless they wanna be anachronistic and annoy the pants off of me and wear the 70's throwback uniforms with tiger striped helmets.) 

2. The NFL relaxes the one helmet rule, allows the Bengals to use a second set of all orange shell helmets, which would allow them do the 70's look. 

3. The Bengals go back to using decals on orange helmets like they did in 94 and that gives them the flexibility to wear any throwback uniform throughout their history. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

26 minutes ago, Sport said:

Unless they wanna be anachronistic and annoy the pants off of me and wear the 70's throwback uniforms with tiger striped helmets

my first thought when they were showing off the first set of uniforms was that they would look fantastic with the striped helmets

• CS85 locked and unlocked this topic
38 minutes ago, Sport said:

Yeah they don't use orange shells like you'd think. Not sure when they switched from decals to painted stripes, but during the throwback bonanza In 1994 they were using decals on orange helmets at the time. They ripped off all the stripes and replaced them with the wordmarks (and chose to keep the black facemasks). But they've been getting helmets painted for a long time now because they're more durable and equipment managers don't have to spend as much time replacing damaged decals. So just paint them orange? No can do. Every team is a simple paint job away from having the correct color to necessitate a proper throwback, but painting shells is not allowed under the one helmet rule. 

If they're wearing throwbacks in the future that would mean a few different possibilities

1. If the one helmet rule is still in effect and if the Bengals are still painting their helmets then that means the only throwbacks they could pull off would be the 80's or 90's looks. (Unless they wanna be anachronistic and annoy the pants off of me and wear the 70's throwback uniforms with tiger striped helmets.) 

2. The NFL relaxes the one helmet rule, allows the Bengals to use a second set of all orange shell helmets, which would allow them do the 70's look. 

3. The Bengals go back to using decals on orange helmets like they did in 94 and that gives them the flexibility to wear any throwback uniform throughout their history. 

15 minutes ago, ManillaToad said:

my first thought when they were showing off the first set of uniforms was that they would look fantastic with the striped helmets

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Are-the-stripes-painted-on-or-are-they-decals

According to this, the stripes are stickers rather than being painted on. It just seems like way more work now, when you can do it the way.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

1 hour ago, gosioux76 said:

Not sure exactly how you're defining "original" in this case, but the Bengals helmets come with the convenience of throwing back both to the early '80s tiger striped set as well as the original 70s plain set. Just remove the stripes, slap the arched Bengals wordmark on there, and you're done. I believe there was even a brief period in the late '70s where they added the black face mask to the original Paul Brown look.

UPDATE: Confirmed, though I only think they wore the black face masks for the 1980 season, right before the switch to tiger stripes.

spacer.png

The stripes are painted, they can’t take them off

1 hour ago, MJWalker45 said:

The stripes are a black shell that is painted over with orange after being blocked off. It's not a case of pulling off the stripes and slapping the wordmark on both sides. 

In that case, couldn’t the just take the black shell, paint it white, and use that for the Color Rush? Why would they still use the orange one?

24 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-Are-the-stripes-painted-on-or-are-they-decals

According to this, the stripes are stickers rather than being painted on. It just seems like way more work now, when you can do it the way.

TO's may have been because he was using an old helmet model so they couldn't get him a painted helmet and had to make him one. That was also in 2010. IDK, but they definitely look painted in all close-up shots

bengals-helmetjpg.jpghi-res-267fd2a5ed38d230604ed71bec02f764_Cincinnati-Bengals-donation.jpg

The orange top layer looks higher than the black stripes here, which would support the idea that stripes are masked off and the helmet is sprayed orange. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, Sport said:

I tried and couldn't come up with an example of a team in orange helmets, black jerseys, orange pants, black socks, but I actually think that would look good. That's the same light color - dark color - light color - dark color construction we're so used to in football. I don't think I'll like all-orange, but I understand it'll happen probably once a season. They'll definitely wear orange tops over black pants, which YUCK. 

The Browns are ESSENTIALLY that, which is one of the reasons I don't think Cincinnati should go that way. It would look too much like their in-state rival.

I know you should base your look on what looks best for you, but I also don't think Black over orange would be there best look.

It's where I sit.

I feel like we've had this discussion about painting vs decals. I'm pretty sure the final conclusion was that, although you can find individual examples of helmets with decal stripes and that remains an option for whatever reasons, the majority of the current helmets have painted stripes. I think I remember someone posting a linc to a team equipment manager comment explaining the process.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I feel like we've had this discussion about painting vs decals. I'm pretty sure the final conclusion was that, although you can find individual examples of helmets with decal stripes and that remains an option for whatever reasons, the majority of the current helmets have painted stripes. I think I remember someone posting a linc to a team equipment manager comment explaining the process.

I remember the Salt Lake Stallions helmets and how everyone thought their helmets would be blue when we saw the helmets getting prepped. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

9 minutes ago, _DietDrPepper_ said:

Could the possible third jerseys be a white tiger alternate and not a black jersey  or orange pants? Surely not but I haven’t seen any confirmation that they’ve ditched the white tiger idea.

We’ve already seen the black and orange jerseys, only one we haven’t seen is the white which most likely will be like the white tiger color rush unis

Just now, dont care said:

We’ve already seen the black and orange jerseys, only one we haven’t seen is the white which most likely will be like the white tiger color rush unis

Yeah, that’s what I meant, I said the wrong thing, my apologies.

3YCQJRO.png

Follow the NFA, and My Baseball League here: https://ahsports.boardhost.com/index.php

1 hour ago, LogoFan said:

While I'm glad they are dropping the stupid drop-shadows from the numerals, now they remind me strongly of Da Bears numerals.

You’re about 12 pages late.

1 hour ago, LogoFan said:

Not surprised.  My visits these day have gotten sporatic due to family illnesses.

My condolences, to you and your family.

Just thinking...what if the three pant combos are black, white/black & orange, and white/black for color rush?

On 4/14/2021 at 2:21 PM, gosioux76 said:

No kidding? Never knew that. So it's a simple paint job away from being '70s throwbacks. 

Silly idea: apply orange anti-stripe decals followed by wordmark decal.

For that matter - giant gumball helmet decals!

Archived