Cincinnati Bengals New Uniforms

Jezus_Ghoti

It is an improvement, no doubt, and yet....

• The white pants with orange stripes does not work for me.  Instead of thin black outlines, just make that whole section of the pants (wide stripe) black and have orange stripes on it.
  • The same for the white pants with no orange at all. 
  • Would have prefered the black stripes on the white jersey if they had added orange sleeves.

It really is not that hard.  Tigers are orange with black stripes (with a few exceptions like albinos).  You always put the black and orange together with the orange as the main color and then black stripes over it.  You could do that on black jerseys and white jersey's by having orange sleeves and transitioning the stripes from the black onto the orange. 

It is an upgrade, but it still could be better with just a few tweaks. 

Big upgrade.  So much cleaner.  They show that the last uniforms didn’t have to be trash. These really are much more reflective of the last set than the 80s/90s.  And they’re...really nice.

The biggest problem I have is the white pants. They should have one pair of white pants with the stripes taken right off the black pants.  They don’t need two (or are there three?) and neither color should be totally omitted.  The other issue I have is the thin number outlines but I m just relieved they used outlines at all.

As good as the original tiger stripes? No.  But pretty nice.  I can’t believe they had that last set for like 20 years.

7 minutes ago, WideRight said:

It is an improvement, no doubt, and yet....

• The white pants with orange stripes does not work for me.  Instead of thin black outlines, just make that whole section of the pants (wide stripe) black and have orange stripes on it.
  • The same for the white pants with no orange at all. 
  • Would have prefered the black stripes on the white jersey if they had added orange sleeves.

It really is not that hard.  Tigers are orange with black stripes (with a few exceptions like albinos).  You always put the black and orange together with the orange as the main color and then black stripes over it.  You could do that on black jerseys and white jersey's by having orange sleeves and transitioning the stripes from the black onto the orange. 

It is an upgrade, but it still could be better with just a few tweaks. 

These contradict each other. 

3 hours ago, WSU151 said:

I don't know about that...there are two teams in the NFL with orange jerseys and white numbers and legibility is just fine for both.  Black numbers on orange and red jerseys are harder to read than white numbers...they really get muddled. It's pretty clear that the Bears jerseys don't have a thick outline and I've never heard anyone complain about legibility with white numbers. 

Bears to wear orange jerseys Sunday vs. Chargers

These new Bengals unis are fantastic. The orange/black/white looks great, and the all white looks great, though needs orange socks. 

Good points. 

Though I will say, the Bears' outline is almost twice as heavy as the Bengals:

spacer.png

spacer.png

It's something that I could foresee being an issue and requiring a simple tweak in year 2, similar to what the Titans had to do.

I’m not understanding the point of the white pants with orange stripes. Why didn’t they just fill in the white space with black? It would make more sense in mix and matching. Odd design decision. The uniform as a whole looks better though. 

5 minutes ago, Jezus_Ghoti said:

Gotta be honest I am not loving 2/3 of these 

Is the “striping” on the socks with the change in knit pattern a design feature? Or do all of Nike’s socks look like that and I just never noticed before.

Great look in my book. Not perfect by any means, but they're a massive upgrade and they're easily one of Nike's best redesigns. I'd agree with others about the number outline being a bit too thin and the orange and black pants stripe isn't great, but regardless the Bengals ended up with a clean, timeless look that'll look great for years to come, so long as they avoid monochrome black. I don't mind the lack of orange on the away set too much, the helmet makes up for it in my book. I'd give the set a B+ overall. Not as good as they could've been, but still great.  

That white set of pants looks really Arena League with the outlines, imo. That uniform is also far too orange-heavy when viewed from a distance:

(plus the orange socks)

The color rush pants would provide a better color balance by bringing more black to the uniform and also matching the helmet and the jersey stripes.

Every Nike uniform has at least one WTF choice. The orange striped pants are this uniform's

Not only are they unnecessary, but I think they'll look worse than the other pant choices in any combination. 

Something that may take these down a notch for some - hearing the primary home set will be all black and the primary away set will be all-white. 

Also, 

the single color names are an upgrade in my opinion. 

This is a great update! Very surprised nike didn't take this over the top. My one tweak would be on the primary white pants. Something about orange stripes on a white base doesn't scream "tiger stripes" to me. Would prefer having them go with something like this:

tiger-pants.png

Do not like the white pants with the orange stripes. The lack outline is very cheap/concept board-looking. Just fill the stripes with black like every single pair of pants the Bengals have worn for the last 40 years. I’m not crazy about the white jersey/pants with only black stripes either. I don’t hate it but I don’t love it. The black jersey with orange stripes  looks better than I anticipated though. Definitely an upgrade, but like always, there were some odd decisions made that hold it back.

8 minutes ago, GFB said:

EzVsPuEVEAkVb5E?format=jpg&name=large

This is really the only major WTF I with the new uniforms. Why not just make the pants orange/black? Did nobody suggest that in a design meeting? 

Yeah I really don’t mind the orange striped pants, especially with that black jersey above. 

Speaking of which, I think the orange jersey is probably the weakest of them all. Something about the simplicity of the uniform in general works better on black/white than it does on other colors for me.