Cincinnati Bengals New Uniforms

Jezus_Ghoti

17 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Is this true? I thought it was the same time length as the jersey—5 years.

The Ravens added purple pants in 2018 with little to no warning. They also had the infamous mustard pants they surprised unveiled for one game and then rightfully got rid of immediately afterward (in my head canon they got burned). Hell, the Browns didn't show off the orange pants last year when they unveiled their new uniforms, only added them once the season started. 

Ironically, both of these happened against on Week 2 TNF games against the Bengals. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ramsjetsthunder said:

Personally, pretty surprised that there were no orange pants. Also thinking that the wordmark and the number are a tad too close together, but maybe that's just me.

1 hour ago, -Akronite- said:

No orange pants was one of their best decisions, assuming they don't release it early in the season like the Browns did last year.

There is an in-state divisional rival with iconic orange pants. Monochrome is not my favorite look anyway and all-orange is owned by Clemson in my mind anyway. And there are plenty of combos as-is, just no need.

As others have mentioned, the Browns had orange pants and didn't bust them out until mid season.  It wouldn't surprise me at all if they "surprised" everyone by going full orange for a TNF, SNF, or MNF game.

It's entirely too soon to assume there's not orange pants.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The benchmark for a good redesign shouldn’t be “whether the casual fan can notice a difference.” What a load of rubbish.

They took a cliche early 2000s over designed mess, stripped it down to the essential elements and came up with a clean design that still clearly reads as the Bengals. That’s a win in my book.

My only complaint is the white pant with the outlined orange stripe that everyone has talked about. Matches nothing else. Should just be a black and orange panel like they’ve done for decades. I was also intrigued by the possibility of orange pants. I feel that could have been a nice look on the road or paired with the black jersey, similar to how the Jaguars use their teal pants on occasion. Overall, this is an upgrade.

17 hours ago, DNAsports said:

The all white is undoubtedly the worst look of the new set.

It's definitely the most bland of the set, but it sounds like the white colour rush jerseys were incredibly popular with the fans. I understand why they'd go with something similar.

2 hours ago, Sport said:

I don't expect the common folk to pay attention to every little detail, but "they look the same" requires non-functioning eyes. 

I think you underestimate the obliviousness of common fans when it comes to uniforms. The colours are the same, the logo & helmet haven't changed, and the font is relatively similar. Most people won't look past that.

10 hours ago, packerfan21396 said:

At first, I didn't mind the number font, I even extended it to see how good it was.  Then the rest of the font got released including an alphabet...  A National Football League team released this, not an amateur on DaFont:

9kTkLc3.png

(as retrieved from the Bengals' "New Stripes" page, presentation put together by me; if you know, you know)

You got paint splatter claw mark alternates, weird curve stretching on the B, P, and R, inconsistent letter widths, and weird letters with both flat and sliced ends like the C, S, and 3.

I'm honestly okay with the font. I'm always a sucker for: a) non block fonts and b) custom fonts. The scarred letters shouldn't make it onto the uniforms but overall, I think the font works for the Bengals. 

AmPJ0Ty.png 

23 minutes ago, Justpassingby said:

It’s almost like a massive PR scandal happened pushing the announcement back or something.

Just stop, you’re so full of :censored:. You have stated nothing but lies since you got on here. No one believes you.

21 minutes ago, Justpassingby said:

It’s almost like a massive PR scandal happened pushing the announcement back or something.

Lol this is code for "yeah what I read on the internet was complete BS and I can't admit I'm wrong". 

Any sale of a team to Bezos was not close in late March. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

2 hours ago, spartacat_12 said:

It's definitely the most bland of the set, but it sounds like the white colour rush jerseys were incredibly popular with the fans. I understand why they'd go with something similar.

I'm sure it's been said a million times before, but that white color rush set makes me think zebra way more than white tiger. 

I’ve been so enthralled and captivated by the European Super League BS, that I didn’t even have a chance to look at this lmao.

I love this update. My only minor, minor gripes are the same as voiced in this thread prior. I’ll echo the sentiment that I wish the away jersey had a little bit more orange and that I was the white pants with orange tiger stripes had black instead of white space between the stripes and perhaps a thicker outline on the numbers.

But overall, and especially when comparing this to their previous set, this has to be an A. Only a couple of small, minor details keep it from being an outstanding update, but if I’m a Bengals fan, I’d be absolutely thrilled regardless.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

On 4/19/2021 at 10:21 AM, gosioux76 said:

I think the Bengals did a great job on the whole. 

But I still prefer the '81 set where the stripes were contained within an orange shoulder panel. I said it before when these initially leaked, but the tiger stripes floating on the shoulders almost look like crooked fingers, or even flames. I'm being a little nit-picky on this point, of course. Because it's the Bengals, we know they're tiger stripes. I just think they were more identifiable as tiger stripes on their own in the '80s version.

I think that same issue is what makes those white pants seem like such a miss. You look at those pants in isolation, and tell someone they're flames, you wouldn't put up an argument. You can easily imagine them as flames. But make the panel orange, and fill it with black stripes, and they're instantly recognizable as tiger stripes. 

I think this will be the best they ever looked. They managed to morph the tiger stripes into shoulder stripes without being garish. That is not easy, and even the 80s version was slightly gaudy.  Still think orange pants pallette swap might be worth a look instead of 2 different whites.

9 hours ago, colinturner95 said:

I'm honestly okay with the font. I'm always a sucker for: a) non block fonts and b) custom fonts. The scarred letters shouldn't make it onto the uniforms but overall, I think the font works for the Bengals. 

I have no problem with the concept of the font, just the execution. For example, the C/G, J/U, and O/Q are 3 different capsule shapes, whereas in FF DIN, the font the Bengals font is based on, they are nearly identical capsule forms.  It's just sloppy to me, but I'm in the realm of noticing much more than the average person.

qD2KpvM.png

(FF DIN Condensed Black on left, BENGALS 2021 on right)

hm7YvwN.png

OgzK3Ub.png

48 minutes ago, O.C.D said:

spacer.png

The tops have black stripes on white, no orange. The bottoms have white stripes no black on orange. I hope they tweak these uniforms because they're a great foundation moving forward

If they filled in the panel with black you could honestly say it’s both orange stripes on black, and black stripes on orange and go with both colored tops

As with many of these recently Nike releases I keep finding myself thinking, “These are better than they were wearing, but not as good as they ever looked.” With that being said, my all-time Bengals uni ranking goes:

5) The Original Word Mark Helmet 

4) 2004

3) 2021

2) 1981

1) 1997

In a vacuum the original unis aren’t bad, but the stripes are so associated with the team that they had to come in last. 

9 hours ago, ZapRowsdower8 said:

As with many of these recently Nike releases I keep finding myself thinking, “These are better than they were wearing, but not as good as they ever looked.” With that being said, my all-time Bengals uni ranking goes:

5) The Original Word Mark Helmet 

4) 2004

3) 2021

2) 1981

1) 1997

In a vacuum the original unis aren’t bad, but the stripes are so associated with the team that they had to come in last. 

I'd still put the 04 uniforms last. They were that dreadful. These uniforms are not what I would've done if I were King of the Bengals*, but they're close enough. They'll look like themselves again, which is all I ever asked for. I'm so glad we're done with the Arena league super hero costumes and they weren't replaced by something outrageously Nike like the 2013 Bucs, which was my greatest fear. They could've so easily given us the Rams/Falcons treatment and we got something closer to what the Vikings did - a modernized update of their past uniform history. I'll gladly take that result.

*I would've done the stripes from the 97 uniforms with numbers on the sleeves in place of the leaping tiger logo like the 81 uniforms. Black socks. Also the Bengal head logo would be the primary. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

I'm reading a whole lot of calls on here asking why they didn't just do an orange fill behind the black stripes on the pants.  The problem with that solution is that then the white pants wouldn't match the white jersey, and we'd be reading multiple posts complaining that the white jersey also needs an orange fill behind the stripes.

It seems obvious to me that the jerseys were designed first, with the mandate to be as clean and simplified as possible while still featuring tiger stripes. That's what brought them to the three simple shoulder stripes, no color fills, no shoulder inserts, no yokes. Thankfully. 

So, once you've arrived there, what do you do with the pants? I could see them thinking that any kind of orange insert, stripe, or panel with black tiger stripes wouldn't fit the ultra simplified jersey. I'd probably agree. The white pants with plain black stripes is the solution. It works very well with the white jersey, and pretty well with the black and orange jerseys. The weird white pants with the orange tiger stripes w/ dumb outlines is just an over reach. Not surprising, there's generally at least one head scratcher with every redesign.

Just accidentally lose those second white pants and all will be good.

(And personally, I'd want to see the black pants exclusively paired with the orange socks, but I know that's not going to happen.)

Agreed. The white pants with solid black stripes are enough. Not ideal, but they work the best with all three jerseys. Still not the best they could be, but a clear upgrade and they're easily one of Nike's better redesigns.

lBzmcSM.png

Perrin Grubb | Aspiring Designer | NAFA Project ~ NFL Redesigns

Archived