Cincinnati Bengals New Uniforms

Jezus_Ghoti

I'm glad that the B logo is off the front of the jerseys. It's not a good logo, even as a tertiary logo. Using the full nickname was the right call. Losing side panels that didn't do anything but clash with whichever pair of pants was worn was another good call. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I'm reading a whole lot of calls on here asking why they didn't just do an orange fill behind the black stripes on the pants.  The problem with that solution is that then the white pants wouldn't match the white jersey, and we'd be reading multiple posts complaining that the white jersey also needs an orange fill behind the stripes.

It seems obvious to me that the jerseys were designed first, with the mandate to be as clean and simplified as possible while still featuring tiger stripes. That's what brought them to the three simple shoulder stripes, no color fills, no shoulder inserts, no yokes. Thankfully. 

So, once you've arrived there, what do you do with the pants? I could see them thinking that any kind of orange insert, stripe, or panel with black tiger stripes wouldn't fit the ultra simplified jersey. I'd probably agree. The white pants with plain black stripes is the solution. It works very well with the white jersey, and pretty well with the black and orange jerseys. The weird white pants with the orange tiger stripes w/ dumb outlines is just an over reach. Not surprising, there's generally at least one head scratcher with every redesign.

Just accidentally lose those second white pants and all will be good.

(And personally, I'd want to see the black pants exclusively paired with the orange socks, but I know that's not going to happen.)

The thing is that the traditional white pants of black stripes on orange side panel ties with the helmet. With a traditional white pant you have a good looking set that ties with the new black and the new orange, only the white is left out of place. Now they only have one set where the white pants really tie to the jersey and no white pants tie to the helmet. When you put it all together, their decisions really make no sense here.

I know it's not an original thought and I may have already posted this but their best set was 03 because it had no striping issues and had black pants. All it needed was an orange alt.

I'm reading a whole lot of calls on here asking why they didn't just do an orange fill behind the black stripes on the pants.  The problem with that solution is that then the white pants wouldn't match the white jersey, and we'd be reading multiple posts complaining that the white jersey also needs an orange fill behind the stripes.

It seems obvious to me that the jerseys were designed first, with the mandate to be as clean and simplified as possible while still featuring tiger stripes. That's what brought them to the three simple shoulder stripes, no color fills, no shoulder inserts, no yokes. Thankfully. 

So, once you've arrived there, what do you do with the pants? I could see them thinking that any kind of orange insert, stripe, or panel with black tiger stripes wouldn't fit the ultra simplified jersey. I'd probably agree. The white pants with plain black stripes is the solution. It works very well with the white jersey, and pretty well with the black and orange jerseys. The weird white pants with the orange tiger stripes w/ dumb outlines is just an over reach. Not surprising, there's generally at least one head scratcher with every redesign.

(And personally, I'd want to see the black pants exclusively paired with the orange socks, but I know that's not going to happen.)

Clearly they weren't afraid of using two pairs of white pants so I'd say the solution to the "white tiger" white jersey is to stipulate that you only use either the "white tiger" set of white pants with that shirt or the black pants and then have black stripes on an orange block for use with the black and orange jerseys. That's a better solution than what they ended up doing. The orange striped pants really smell of "we can't make the pants look too close to the last set" so they did whatever this is. Otherwise it's an inexplicable choice and that's why I gave these a 92/100, instead of a ~97 out of 100. 

What I don't get was touting that they could have 9 different combinations in the lead up to the unveiling. I suppose that's mathematically true, but what's the point of having two different sets of white pants to pair with your black and orange jerseys? One of those pairs will always look worse than the other white pant option. In my eyes the orange-striped pants look worse in every combination than "white tiger" counterparts. Just use those. 9 different combinations to me means pants that can effectively work with every jersey and that's not the case here. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

When you look at it side by side-- what an absolutely massive improvement, especially this combo.

The removal of the shoulder yoke allows the shoulder striping detail to really nicely complement the striping on the helmet and pants, instead of compete for attention.

Removing the white detail from the top of the pants stripe keeps things consistent with the helmet in a nice way-- and I don't think too many people have mentioned how awkward and unnecessary the tapered point at the bottom of the old pants stripe was -- it never looked good how it wrapped around the knee, and now the new straight up-and-down pants stripe again streamlines everything.

Plus, the dropshadow on the old numbers was such a legacy from like 2004-- Falcons uniforms that debuted around that time also had it. Good riddance.

spacer.pngspacer.png

This redesign is what the Jaguars COULD have been if they'd made the right decisions. If the Jaguars had used a vertical teal stripe on white and black pants + a more noticeable teal stripe on the white and black uniforms, it would totally balance the large amounts of black and white. Instead, they went with the barely noticeable teal diagonal slices of color at the very bottom of the pants + edge of the sleeves. Bengals show you how a very similar minimalist design is used, with the proper execution.

Maybe I'm missing something (entirely possible), but is there an issue with the Bengals in general having multiple pairs of white pants? I don't see any harm in having one pair designed to be worn with the white jerseys, then another one that looks better with the orange and black jerseys. That appears to be exactly what they attempted to do, except they missed the mark on one pair of pants. 

I wouldn't call the pants with orange stripes an overreach so much as "overthought." Adapting the original tiger striped panel on the pants should've been an easy solution. Instead, it reads like the made a change for change's sake. 

4 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

What's the difference between an over reach and an over thought?

Perhaps not much. But based on your post, I read "overreach" as meaning they did more than was necessary — created two pairs of pants when one would've sufficed. I see it as more overthinking the task -- that there was an obvious solution that was bypassed for something that read as different from the original. 

1 minute ago, guest23 said:

..was 2003.

spacer.png

I prefer that they removed the overabundance of tiger stripes. If the look has nostalgia purposes for some fans of the team, at most I'd bring it back for throwback nights. The team needed to move foward. And that's what they did. The new look is very appealing.

1 hour ago, oldschoolvikings said:

Matching dark pants and jerseys is never the best anyone ever looked.

To clarify I was referring to the entire set not just that combo. In modern context that is by far the best set that could be applied to a current nike template where  black over black is definitely a thing. I would lose the tv numbers and possibly the leaping tiger but the tiger stripes are in harmony. The new set misses that mark.

7 minutes ago, HopewellJones said:

Absolutely. I think it’s been under appreciated, the fact that they didn’t touch the helmet. Didn’t change the finish or the face mask or anything. Kinda crazy. 

That was probably a stipulation the head honchos made. As comically bad as Bengals management can sometimes be, they know their helmets are iconic. 

38 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

That was probably a stipulation the head honchos made. As comically bad as Bengals management can sometimes be, they know their helmets are iconic. 

They are also notoriously cheap, to the miserly ownership not changing the helmets may have simply been choosing not to open the pocketbook for fancy helmet paint and masks.

Archived