Cincinnati Bengals New Uniforms

Jezus_Ghoti

On 8/16/2021 at 9:57 AM, gosioux76 said:

If you can see what they were going for, can you help to explain it? Apologies for putting you on the spot -- I'm not attempting to troll you. I just genuinely cannot see what the designer was going for with this. 

My only theory, which I've said here before: The pants design was an attempt to have one element of these uniforms that couldn't be attributed to a past look. Everything else can be viewed as a modernized throwback — essentially, a return to an earlier design. I could see a designer, perhaps in an attempt to leave their mark, wanting something distinct to set it apart. 

My theory is that the Brown family saw the fans' love for the Cincinnati Jungle Kats alternates and loved them so much they had Van Horne n' em use those as a starting point, and reverse-engineered the entire set from there.

I don't know that we've seen photos of whatever their planned away sets are, but if they debut a set of white pants with black stripes and no orange, that'll be the thing that clinches my theory. (And it's never a good thing if you have to design two sets of pants with the same base color just to make a uniform tie together. FTR, I've never cared for the Denver Broncos' away sets either for that very reason.)

Now, all that said: For all y'all who keep talking about the new Madden game: it must be nice to have $$ to throw around like that...if y'all ain't buying the game this year, how you ca$happ your boy here the money instead?? 😄

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, tBBP said:

I don't know that we've seen photos of whatever their planned away sets are, but if they debut a set of white pants with black stripes and no orange, that'll be the thing that clinches my theory. (And it's never a good thing if you have to design two sets of pants with the same base color just to make a uniform tie together. FTR, I've never cared for the Denver Broncos' away sets either for that very reason.)

They already have.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

The more and more I look at these, the more I feel like there are cool elements that weren't able to make a full brand, a la a minor league or high school team. The pants look so disconnected from the jerseys they were supposed to match. Even if the jerseys and helmet are spectacular, there are a lot of misses here as a full unit

p65A9Ts.png

XEK7sAn.png

On 8/16/2021 at 10:57 AM, gosioux76 said:

If you can see what they were going for, can you help to explain it? Apologies for putting you on the spot -- I'm not attempting to troll you. I just genuinely cannot see what the designer was going for with this. 

My only theory, which I've said here before: The pants design was an attempt to have one element of these uniforms that couldn't be attributed to a past look. Everything else can be viewed as a modernized throwback — essentially, a return to an earlier design. I could see a designer, perhaps in an attempt to leave their mark, wanting something distinct to set it apart. 

I have to imagine that the Buccaneers move last year to revert to an old design, without any noticeable embellishments, must've been a pretty underwhelming project for the creatives involved. 

Well I only see them making sense with the black jerseys. They clearly wanted the stripes to be floating instead of on panels. I’m guessing that they thought orange stripes brought more balance to that set, but then realized they needed to be outlined against white to stand out better. It matches the black jersey in that it’s orange stripes outlined in black. 

It is kinda weird, far from perfect. I hated them at first but it’s one of those things that just looks alright to me. I totally understand where people are coming from though. 

21 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

They already have.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Yeah I definitely either missed these or completely forgot that I saw them. 

Either way, those confirm my theory: the new sets ARE reverse-engineered from the Jungle Kats alternates...

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

On 8/16/2021 at 8:22 AM, Sport said:

Finally put my finger on what the pants remind me of. Why'd you do that, Bengals? 

OIP.D2iT82tXtCuL_UBakGD4wAHaEV?pid=ImgDe

So, how long before the Bengals rebrand as the Cincinnati Nemos? Or would they go with the Cincinnati Clownfish? One creates a pathway to a sweet promotional partnership with Disney and Pixar, the other would almost certainly be shortened to Clowns. Choices, choices. 😉  

I don't really love this new Bengals set and I think I figured out why....

Helmet: Orange base with black stripes

Jersey: Black base with orange stripes

Pants 1: White base with orange stripes outlined in black

Pants 2: White base with black stripes

There is no cohesion whatsoever. Even the stripes from the helmet to the jersey to the pants are different patterns. I really want to love it, but just can't seem to get past all of the disjointed parts. When you think Bengals football, there should be orange, black, and bengal stripes. It shouldn't be that difficult to make a cohesive look.  

On 8/14/2021 at 10:14 PM, oldschoolvikings said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Jerseys... nice.

Pants... not.

What bothers me is are they a...

1. Black stripes with orange (helmets)
2. Orange stripes with black (shoulders)
3. Orange stripes with white (pants)

Team? 

10 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

There is no cohesion whatsoever. Even the stripes from the helmet to the jersey to the pants are different patterns. I really want to love it, but just can't seem to get past all of the disjointed parts. When you think Bengals football, there should be orange, black, and bengal stripes. It shouldn't be that difficult to make a cohesive look.  

I just wrote this. Didnt see that you wrote this (guess I should have continued reading lol) 

12 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

The jersey has orange stripes outlined in black just like the pants. It’s whacky but there’s a least a tiny bit of cohesion. They really should have filled it in with black, but I really don’t mind them as they are. 

It’s just weird because they’re fluctuating between how realistically they want to present the stripes. With these pants it becomes more abstract and I can see how it irks people. I like it though. 

2 minutes ago, HopewellJones said:

The jersey has orange stripes outlined in black just like the pants. It’s whacky but there’s a least a tiny bit of cohesion. They really should have filled it in with black, but I really don’t mind them as they are. 

It’s just weird because they’re fluctuating between how realistically they want to present the stripes. With these pants it becomes more abstract and I can see how it irks people. I like it though. 

That would work if the panel was filled in but it’s not, so instead it just looks like orange on white from any distance.

13 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

Sorry for the online editor but this is exactly what I had in mind. There aren't many ways to make everything cohesive...

Screenshot-20210818-215051-Chrome.jpg

Screenshot-20210818-215051-Chrome-1.jpg

14 hours ago, PlayGloria said:

I think it makes sense. The black jersey and pants have orange stripes, the white jersey and pants have black stripes, and the orange helmet and jersey have black stripes. They convey modernity through an effective use of negative space and it’s all consistent…until you get to the clownfish pants…what were they thinking?

I agree, but the last few years starting with Color Rush have been hell for people who appreciate good hosiery in football. I don't have the energy to discuss football socks anymore.  The best I can do is hope they wear a colored sock with white pants instead of the awful all-white look teams have been doing. The great sock war is over and we lost. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 hours ago, GFB said:

@Sport 

That combination really drills home the idea that they need to upgrade the white color rush pants to full time use and ditch the clownfish pants.

100% It's essentially the inverse of the black pants/white jerseys combination and I think that looks good. I also think the white tiger pants would look best with the orange jerseys too because then you have black stripes on each piece. That means the nemo pants look worse than another pant option with every jersey combination possible. They are entirely superfluous and will look really bad when they inevitably wear them with the white jerseys. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived