Cincinnati Bengals New Uniforms

Jezus_Ghoti

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 1/23/2021 at 2:46 PM, Lights Out said:

The bone jerseys are horrific in any combo, and even the blue-over-gold (their only semi-tolerable look) is still ruined by the poor design decisions. Literally the only thing worth keeping from this era is the helmet color. Everything else is inferior to the throwbacks.

Love the helmet....horns is meh and everything else is a dumpster fire .....preferred the throwbacks with the new helmet shell

tigersallstars092.png

steelcurtain.png

On 1/23/2021 at 8:02 PM, burgundy said:

The Titans having nice uniforms is a very unpopular opinion. The Seahawks may not be to everyone's personal taste, but they are competently designed. The Titans are a mess. They went way too hard on the sword motif, to the point of being gimmicky, and added all that unnecessary double gray to an already crowded color pallet. Then they realized they forgot the light blue and just slapped it under the armpits. If they had made the sword-shaped yokes entirely light blue, and dropped the pit-stains, they would be 100 times better.

This is a solid take on the Titans uniforms. What I can't get over, though, is the sheen on the helmets. It's not matte, but it's not glossy. It's just -- dull? For a uniform that embraced certain decorative elements, the helmets are remarkably flat. There's a real rustic '70s vibe to their simplicity I suppose. And when looked at from a distance, they work with the complete set. But up close there's something bland about them. And for some reason, the logo seems like it either doesn't fit or it's disproportionate to the space it's attempting to fill. 

On 1/24/2021 at 3:08 AM, selgy said:

I was never a big fan of these uniforms. And if these came back I think I would like them even less. 

Back then LARGE shoulder-pads were worn. This helped with the shoulder stripes. 

With shoulder-pads being smaller these days, the stripes would either need to be moved closer to the collar, allowed to droop down the arm, and or thinned to negate the lose of due to the shoulder-pad loss. 

If you thin the shoulder, you then need to thin the pants stripe. How does the strip look thinned out? I think it would look worse. 

With the shoulder pad size shrinkage I wouldn't have a problem moving the shoulder stripes more on top of the shoulder pad and using the sleeve for the number* or leaping tiger. Remember that TV numbers are no longer a necessity (See: Patriots). I don't think they have room any longer to fit all 3 of the leaping tiger logo, TV number, and stripes the way they had it in the 90's. Look at the Panthers now who've shrunken their TV numbers to the point of uselessness. Those numbers are like 12 point font -5 kerning. They're a joke. 

*My preferred route. I think the best course of action is you keep the shoulder stripes and pants stripes the same width and tiger stripe design as the 90's and replace the leaping tiger logo with the sleeve number. It's the best of the 80's and 90's working in concert. You don't need a tiger logo on the jersey to tell people you're the tiger team when you've already got tiger stripes all over your pants, jerseys, and helmets. 

19 hours ago, ebod39 said:

Best case scenario IMO, is they go more Chargers and Bucs level of change.  

Worse case, Rams and Falcons

The Bengals are the perfect candidate for a Browns, Bucs, Chargers renewal of an old look. They have it in their closet. I'm hoping we're coming into this redesign at a point in the design process when people can see the tangible success and enthusiasm for looks that simply went back to old fan favorites. The team needs to tell Nike, "we want this" and push back on any nonsense Nike tries to force feed them. The last time they redesigned in 2003/2004 NFL uniform design was a different story. The rumors keep saying minor changes, which could mean anything and is wholly dependent on what the writer defines as "minor", but that along with the statement that the helmets aren't changing fills me with some hope that they're not going to go full Rams on these. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

46 minutes ago, gosioux76 said:

This is a solid take on the Titans uniforms. What I can't get over, though, is the sheen on the helmets. It's not matte, but it's not glossy. It's just -- dull? For a uniform that embraced certain decorative elements, the helmets are remarkably flat. There's a real rustic '70s vibe to their simplicity I suppose. And when looked at from a distance, they work with the complete set. But up close there's something bland about them. And for some reason, the logo seems like it either doesn't fit or it's disproportionate to the space it's attempting to fill. 

1. A lot of logos don't fit on football helmets anymore. The space on the side of a football helmet has been overtaken with ridges, vent holes, and the facemask moving backwards and chinstrap snaps have greatly reduced the amount of smooth usable space compared to, say, a Riddell VSR4 helmet. The Titans logo also comes to a point in the back of the helmet, but they insisted on a stripe so they had to shrink it a bit, plus now it has an extra outline. It really doesn't fit on the helmet. 

2. I think the problem with that logo on a blue background is that when used on a white background it already has 3 outlines around the circular part. Put it on a dark color background and it requires a 4th outline. It's a busy logo to begin with and then you add another layer onto it. It's like the Texans and Bills logos that are at their best when they're on a white background with no outline. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 1/24/2021 at 1:19 PM, ebod39 said:

Best case scenario IMO, is they go more Chargers and Bucs level of change.  

Worse case, Rams and Falcons

Top 3 teams needing an update:

1- Cardinals: complete overhaul

2- Saints:  choose a gold, not a beige, only need one outline on the logo, no more black on black this isn't Any Given Sunday

3- Texans:  Do something, anything.

I agree with everything about the Saints except for the logo... Leave that alone.

Same with the Texans. No change needed. 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

2 minutes ago, 29texan said:

I agree with everything about the Saints except for the logo... Leave that alone.

Same with the Texans. No change needed. 

To each their own. I think it has 2 too many outlines.   It's the NFL's version of the Sabres logo they just replaced with outlines around everything

Assuming they keep their logo package the same, I hope they bring back the full-body tiger at midfield. The "B" isn't as bad as it used to be now that they filled in the negative space on the B so the 50 yard-line doesn't run through at an uneven margin, but the tiger was still much better. 

Does it bother anyone else that the Saints insist on keeping the racing stripes down the middle of their helmets, even though very often neither their jerseys nor their pants have any stripes on them anywhere? The helmet stripes just seem so out of place. Why not just remove them and then use them only with throwbacks or color rush, i.e. when there are stripes on the pants and jerseys?

4 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

Does it bother anyone else that the Saints insist on keeping the racing stripes down the middle of their helmets, even though very often neither their jerseys nor their pants have any stripes on them anywhere? The helmet stripes just seem so out of place. Why not just remove them and then use them only with throwbacks or color rush, i.e. when there are stripes on the pants and jerseys?

Not really. Some helmets look empty without the stripes and the Saints are one of those teams. When Cleveland would go with no stripes in preseason games it was a bit jarring as well, especially with their very busy uniforms.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, Jungle Jim said:

The stripes on the Saints helmets are the best part of their uniforms. The stripeless features on the jersey and pants need to change. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, WSU151 said:

The stripes on the Saints helmets are the best part of their uniforms. The stripeless features on the jersey and pants need to change. 

That basic three-stripe helmet pattern is a favorite of mine. And it is not very common anymore. The Packers and Cowboys will probably always have it but I miss the Lions using it and I wish it was a bit more common. So if the Saints need to unify, then they should make the pants match the helmet.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

On 1/24/2021 at 11:12 AM, oldschoolvikings said:

I feel like there are some people on this site who are putting a bit too much stock in the random comment somebody apparently made about the changes being minor. What a frequent poster on this board would call minor vs the general population is pretty different. I'm reminded that back in 2006, when the Vikings were about to change from the Culpeper/Moss uniforms to their Rebok mess the owner's son refered to the upcoming changes as minor.

I know I've related this story on the board before, but I once got in a conversation with a Saints fan who was proud of the "fact" that the Saints had never changed their uniforms. I tried pointing out changes in logos, striping, number colors, etc, and he looked at me like I was crazy. Because they'd always worn black jerseys, gold helmets, and had the same logo, in his mind that literally equalled no changes.

Minor could mean anything.

That's an excellent point.  All this means is that they're still going to be black and orange and the the helmet is still going to be tiger-striped.  I doesn't even mean that the stripes on the helmet won't take different shapes or that they won't do the gradient-to-white thing (OK, I know there are reports that the helmet's not changing, thank goodness, but if it was changing in that way, a lot of people would not call that "major").

I know we're the weirdos, but I'd bet a million dollars that the number font is going to change significantly, which is not a "minor" change to anyone on this board.

Your Vikings example is a good one.  Purple/yellow? Check. Purple horned helmet? Check. My favorite "normal fan" Vikings memory is when they changed from the Reebok look to the current look, seeing a fan somewhere on social media say "they're going to their throwbacks." And I'm just shaking my head saying "yeah, they totally had that weird serif pattern when they were blowing Super Bowls in the 1970s."  It's times like this that I'm reminded of how weird I am. But I only would believe "minor change" if it comes from one of us weirdos.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

38 minutes ago, Rixaroo said:

Sports Logos Dot Net Forums: Enter Bengals thread for new uni news. Stay for the Texans/Saints arguments. 

The helmet won't change. 

You're welcome. 

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

1 hour ago, OnWis97 said:

Your Vikings example is a good one.  Purple/yellow? Check. Purple horned helmet? Check. My favorite "normal fan" Vikings memory is when they changed from the Reebok look to the current look, seeing a fan somewhere on social media say "they're going to their throwbacks." And I'm just shaking my head saying "yeah, they totally had that weird serif pattern when they were blowing Super Bowls in the 1970s." 

I had that exact conversation with a Viking fans a few years ago. To him, the plain white numbers and sleeve stripes equaled throwback to the 70's/80's, and everything else was just not noticeable or important enough to even talk about.

52 minutes ago, oldschoolvikings said:

I had that exact conversation with a Viking fans a few years ago. To him, the plain white numbers and sleeve stripes equaled throwback to the 70's/80's, and everything else was just not noticeable or important enough to even talk about.

I got into an argument with my roommate in 2013 when he said the Bengals have never changed their uniforms. After literally pulling up pictures on my phone I determined that what he meant was that they had never changed their color scheme like the Buccaneers or the Seahawks and had always worn orange helmets, black jerseys, and white pants. Most people really do not care about things like number font, stripe widths/placement, and any small details so long as the essence of the look is there. They also haven't spent a lot of time thinking about these things so they don't have the vocabulary to describe what they mean. Meanwhile I'm over here itchy when a team changes the collar color from black to white. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 1/25/2021 at 9:34 AM, gosioux76 said:

The helmet has a satin finish, right? Like the Vikings and IIRC the new Rams and Falcons? That’s exactly what satin finish is - brighter than matte and duller than gloss. 

Archived