Cincinnati Bengals New Uniforms

Jezus_Ghoti

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, San Diego said:

These were perfect. I said it before and I'll say it again, I loved how each team got to choose who makes their uniforms. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

It would make sense that a team named after a felid would want a company named after another felid to manufacture their gear. 

3 minutes ago, Sec19Row53 said:

I've never thought an apparel logo looked cool on uniforms.

Sure, that's a fair opinion. When the manufacturer logos starting popping up on uniforms in the late 90s/early 2000s, I just thought the new Adidas logo looked cooler than Nike, Reebok, or Champion. And I appreciated that Adidas used maroon and yellow as well; it felt pretty modern for the moment.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

On 3/1/2021 at 3:30 PM, OnWis97 said:

If the Ravens absolutely have to go with two non-contrasting colors so they can look like Ravens, then I guess the Bengals need to focus on orange with some gradient to white on the bellies.

(I'm against both ideas)

"Tigers have white stripes on their bellies" is the actual stated rationale behind the white side stripes. That's why I've always called them tiger costumes. 

I think the best way to do it is to show some restraint. The reason so many concepts feel off is because they want to cram so much tiger stuff into the jerseys and pants. I think the 80's uniforms were the right balance, they let the helmet do the heavy lifting, let that be the star of the show, and used a simpler uniform below it. Just do that and we'll be happy with the new uniforms. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

Just to clarify in the 90's when footwear and apparel companies started to displace the traditional uniform suppliers the only thing that really changed was the logo as the manufacturing was still outsourced to traditional makers. The last holdover now would now be the packers and their nike uniforms.

5 minutes ago, guest23 said:

Just to clarify in the 90's when footwear and apparel companies started to displace the traditional uniform suppliers the only thing that really changed was the logo as the manufacturing was still outsourced to traditional makers. The last holdover now would now be the packers and their nike uniforms.

Ripon 🙂

It's where I sit.

20 hours ago, San Diego said:

These were perfect. I said it before and I'll say it again, I loved how each team got to choose who makes their uniforms. 

spacer.png

spacer.png

I had forgotten how great those uniforms really were. They were discontinued so that the team could look like this:

spacer.png

On 3/2/2021 at 8:54 PM, San Diego said:

Also the white uniforms. And a little extra, he's wearing the revolution helmet I believe it was called. I thought it was so cool back in the day lol. spacer.png

Possibly an unpopular opinion: The old Bengals unis were good, but one could argue the tiger logo on the sleeves were unnecessary. They don't ruin the jerseys in anyway, but the tiger stripes on the shoulders were enough. 

Hotter Than July > Thriller

41 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Possibly an unpopular opinion: The old Bengals unis were good, but one could argue the tiger logo on the sleeves were unnecessary. They don't ruin the jerseys in anyway, but the tiger stripes on the shoulders were enough. 

I agree the stripes on the shoulders and the numbers on the sleeves were the better version before they moved the numbers and added the logo in the 90s. spacer.png

11 hours ago, Eszcz21 said:

I agree the stripes on the shoulders and the numbers on the sleeves were the better version before they moved the numbers and added the logo in the 90s. spacer.png

Except the stripes look worse and there's way too much space on the shoulders. A modern template would hopefully resolve this.

26 minutes ago, -Akronite- said:

Except the stripes look worse and there's way too much space on the shoulders. A modern template would hopefully resolve this.

There's only so much space on the shoulders in that picture because shoulder pads were enormous back then. That wouldn't be an issue today. There's a very easy solution - Use the late 90's stripes that matched the helmet's striping and size better and then put the numbers on the sleeves. And I think the Bengals should wear black socks with the white pants. It's the best of all worlds. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

3 minutes ago, Sport said:

There's only so much space on the shoulders in that picture because shoulder pads were enormous back then. That wouldn't be an issue today. There's a very easy solution - Use the late 90's stripes that matched the helmet's striping and size better and then put the numbers on the sleeves. And I think the Bengals should wear black socks with the white pants. It's the best of all worlds. 

The new Rams and Chargers uniforms prove you don't need to have TV numbers anymore. Just push the tiger stripes up a tad bit and have the tiger on the sleeves. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

I think the point is that the tiger is redundant considering there's tiger stripes in the same area, which I never really though about but I think I agree with now.  The solution is to simply have the shoulder stripes and that's it.  Nike's going to force their big advertisement patch in there anyway so there's no real room for a number or a redundant logo.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Yeah as much as I loved the uniforms of the 90's I've come around to the mindset that you don't need both the tiger stripes and the tiger logo. And certainly not both plus the number. Pick one (preferably the stripes). The new rule that doesn't require TV numbers opens up possibilities. I'd prefer to have numbers than not, but if there's no TV numbers I won't be upset. 

I like that the Chargers don't have anything other than the bolt on their new jerseys, but that makes a little more sense since they put the numbers back on the helmets. The worst is the Patriots and their repeating flying elvis. They'd look a lot better if they'd use TV numbers in place of the logo on those jerseys. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

8 minutes ago, BBTV said:

I think the point is that the tiger is redundant considering there's tiger stripes in the same area, which I never really though about but I think I agree with now.  The solution is to simply have the shoulder stripes and that's it.  Nike's going to force their big advertisement patch in there anyway so there's no real room for a number or a redundant logo.

If it's not on the helmet I don't think it meets the standard of redundant. I also think they can have the tiger stripe and the tiger leaping. They had it before. Even if they take the current shoulder/sleeve cap and keep it but get rid of shoulder numbers I think they'll be improved as long as the side stripes go away. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived