LA Clippers Brand Discussion

I wanted to share a few intresting tidbits I found after deep diving into the Clippers branding(all because I wanted to re-create the old court in 2k).

1) When they rebranded in 2015, they officially became the "LA Clippers".  NBA2K, NBA Live, Wikipedia, nba.com, and plenty more sources refer to them with the abbreviation. spacer.png

spacer.png

2) Silver is actually an official color, which explains the Earned jersey from this season.

spacer.png

3) The rush job that is the above logo was actually created by the Miami Heat design team. 

(https://www.clipsnation.com/2015/9/12/9299611/panic-over-patience-a-logo-story)

4) While the uniforms use the "Clippers" wordmark, I have yet to see the full logo anywhere since 2017. Why is that? You clearly acknowledge that it exists, you have it smack dab on the front of your jersey!

28 minutes ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

4) While the uniforms use the "Clippers" wordmark, I have yet to see the full logo anywhere since 2017. Why is that? You clearly acknowledge that it exists, you have it smack dab on the front of your jersey!

If the Clippers used their full logo on a uniform, they'd get more grief than they get for their San Andreas uniforms. As it is, they have a great number font, but everything else in their branding is so loud that no one notices it. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

27 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

If the Clippers used their full logo on a uniform, they'd get more grief than they get for their San Andreas uniforms. As it is, they have a great number font, but everything else in their branding is so loud that no one notices it. 

I’m not saying put it on a uniform, but it’s nowhere to be found in their branding. All you see is the LAC ball. They act like that the primary logo is why everyone hates their branding, but the LAC logo is just as bad.

4 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

I’m not saying put it on a uniform, but it’s nowhere to be found in their branding. All you see is the LAC ball. They act like that the primary logo is why everyone hates their branding, but the LAC logo is just as bad.

Because the ball is the primary logo, the ball and wordmark is the “global logo” so it’s the required logo by the league that must include the name and a basketball for use internationally so people in India know your a basketball team or whatever

7 hours ago, LA Fakers+ LA Snippers said:

Because it sucks and they know it but are too lazy to invest in another rebranding so they downplay it.

bSLCtu2.png

The whole LA Clippers and not Los Angeles Clippers is weird to me. Especially when their 2016 Christmas jerseys read LA Clippers and the Lakers' read Los Angeles.

ingramlakerschristmasclippers.jpg

Especially when you consider the year before both teams had their nickname on the jerseys instead ...

brandon-bass-deandre-jordan-nba-los-ange

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

Very bland. I know that when they re-branded, they were trying to shed the 'life-long loser' image, but they had a really nice set. As common as RWB is, that cursive script made it stand out. A script that, at the time, was unique to basketball. If I'm not mistaken, besides specially designated uniforms (sorry, I cant keep up with NBA uniform shenanigans), it still may not be used. Even the blue alt with the Los Angeles script was nice.

spacer.png

564062735.jpeg

sig.png

Archived