Professional Lacrosse Changes

Jer15

Fort Worth, Texas is getting an NLL team for the 2021-2022 season.

The team announced today that their name is "Panther City Lacrosse Club". The logos were also released. 

I really like that secondary logo in the shape of the head of the stick.

New Fort Worth NLL Team Announced as Panther City Lacrosse Club | US  Lacrosse Magazine

• Like 2

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

The newest expansion team for the National Lacrosse League and for the city of Fort Worth:

FW_PrimaryLogo_OnDark_RGB.png

...looks like we went the "Washington Football Team" route with ours. I'm conflicted with both the name and logos.

The name: One one hand, I'm glad we're stepping away from the stereotypical cowboys and cattle route for this and using the "Panther City" moniker that's not used nearly enough, imo... but on the other hand, they're not using the actual city's name, which is a major issue for Fort Worth and has been for years.

The logo: Looks great. Has the TCU colors (with a little red splashed in, giving an underrated color combo more use) and the panther itself looks sharp with the lone star on top... but the outline of it will make people think San Antonio and the Alamo, not Fort Worth and The Stockyards

National%20Lacrosse%20League

• Like 2

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

Just now, 29texan said:

...oh, I didn't know someone already posted this.

I think we did about the same time. all good. I'm sure the mods will merge it 🙂

• Like 1

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Why does it have the Alamo outline at the top?

Never mind, reading the description it's weird that they say:

The shield that the panther and star rest in is a nod to Spanish Colonial architecture with the star located where a bell would normally rest. While this iconic style does not depict an exact building in the city, the design can be found around the city, especially in the Stockyards.

There are a few places that actually do feature that roof that's attributed to the Alamo, they just aren't considered the best known details of the stockyards.

Fort Worth Stockyards Restaurants | Fort Worth Stockyards

Fort Worth Stockyards - Wikipedia

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Strangely, the league is becoming very purple heavy. So, while the colors are nice, it would have been nice to see some other colors. Maybe they will be primarily black.

Also, the name is not very good. It doesn't fit with any other name in the league. I don't like the WFT naming convention. 

Lastly, this does look like a San Antonio team with the shape of the logo.

Overall I'm not impressed.

They should have been the Fort Worth Panthers, because they are Fort Worth's lone Major league team.  Every other team is either "Dallas" despite playing in Arlington (Cowboys), Dallas (Mavericks and Stars) and Frisco (FC Dallas) or Texas (Rangers who play in Arlington).  Lost opportunity there.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Jer15 said:

Fort Worth, Texas is getting an NLL team for the 2021-2022 season.

The team announced today that their name is "Panther City Lacrosse Club". The logos were also released. 

I really like that secondary logo in the shape of the head of the stick.

New Fort Worth NLL Team Announced as Panther City Lacrosse Club | US  Lacrosse Magazine

Sigh.....this was a chance for Fort Worth to have their name attached to a major league sports team.  This was a lost opportunity.

• Like 1

Dispite the name trouble, pretty good looking logo.  I like the font they went with.  The doesn't look new/created for them, still well done Fort Worth.

Kansas-BB-banner.png My-son-Soldier-banner.png

Kansas City Scouts (CHL) Orr Cup Champions 2010, 2019, 2021         St. Joseph Pony Express (ULL)  2023 Champions     Kansas City Cattle (CL)

There are a TON of alternate marks in this package.

jk3pgWa.png

e4jyMGx.png

Wz39pjo.png

TNXMK8j.png

cD85U0H.png

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

On 11/18/2020 at 12:00 PM, -kj said:

There's a floorball team named the Fort Worth Panthers; maybe they have the trademark?

Probably... (what the hell is "Floorball"?) 

As far as the PCLC name, I'm still conflicted... 

On one hand, it's one of a very, VERY RARE opportunity for Fort Worth to stamp its name on a national product.
 On the other hand, not only could it be a conversation starter, but it's also elevating the Panther City moniker more so and moving further away from the "Cowtown" imagery, which for a city our size and constantly growing needs to happen. 

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

3 hours ago, 29texan said:

Don't want to hijack this, but floor ball is basically floor hockey with a wiffle ball and a special stick. The goalies wear minimal padding as well. It's big in Europe.

PIC:

floorballaction.jpeg

• Like 1
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

23 hours ago, 29texan said:

As far as the PCLC name, I'm still conflicted... 

On one hand, it's one of a very, VERY RARE opportunity for Fort Worth to stamp its name on a national product.
 On the other hand, not only could it be a conversation starter, but it's also elevating the Panther City moniker more so and moving further away from the "Cowtown" imagery, which for a city our size and constantly growing needs to happen. 

When NLL announces Fort Worth, I was like "here's a chance for the name Fort Worth to be on a major league product" and then they don't do it.  However, if you look at the owners of the team, it's not surprising.  They are owned by Bill Cameron and Greg Bibb, who own the WNBA's Dallas Wings, a franchise that was originally the Detroit Shock (and once owned by the Detroit Pistons in the Bill Davidson era) and then they spent four years in Tulsa, Oklahoma before moving to Dallas in 2015.  Bibb is also the President and CEO of the Wings.  The issue with the Wings is that they haven't had the success they had when they were in Detroit and haven't been able to keep star players for long (unlike the Mavs, who kept Dirk Nowitzki for 21 years or even the Stars, Rangers or Cowboys who have had players play their entire careers for them).  Liz Cambage and Skyler Diggins-Smith were initially happy to make the move to Dallas, but grew to be unhappy and both wanted out and now both are gone.  They have two really good players now in 2019 First Rounder Arike Ogunbowle and 2020 First Rounder Satou Sabally.  Whether or not they spend the rest of their careers in Dallas remain to be seen.  They are also looking for their 4th coach in 5 years.  It's sort of like the current Mavericks (with Luca Doncic and Kristaps Porzingis) but the Mavericks have long term stability in their front office and head coach, neither of which the Wings have.