Professional Lacrosse Changes

Jer15

8 hours ago, GDAWG said:

Panther City Lacrosse is a stupid name for an NLL team.  It fits more of the PLL than NLL.  

The jersey is okay.

I thought it had something to do with Florida Panthers or Carolina Panthers.

Logano wins BOWL before Chargers.

• 4 weeks later...

The Roughnecks put out a release yesterday saying that they had a two-part major announcement to make Wednesday. I missed the article, so I don't know what it says, and now when you go to their website, an under construction splash screen shows up with a countdown timer set to Wednesday at 3:52 pm MT (which seems like an odd time choice, unless it's set up for a press conference at 4:00?).

The Twitter responses feel it could be a rebranding. Apparently the jerseys have been on sale for most of this past year and some guy responded to the Roughnecks announcement tweet with his tweet from November of last year saying he had knowledge the Roughnecks were going to rebrand for 2021.

IbjBaeE.png

1 hour ago, monkeypower said:

The Roughnecks put out a release yesterday saying that they had a two-part major announcement to make Wednesday. I missed the article, so I don't know what it says, and now when you go to their website, an under construction splash screen shows up with a countdown timer set to Wednesday at 3:52 pm MT (which seems like an odd time choice, unless it's set up for a press conference at 4:00?).

The Twitter responses feel it could be a rebranding. Apparently the jerseys have been on sale for most of this past year and some guy responded to the Roughnecks announcement tweet with his tweet from November of last year saying he had knowledge the Roughnecks were going to rebrand for 2021.

It is a rebrand/jersey release. Ryan Popowich (director of marketing for the flames) confirmed it with me. The article had said 10 am MT (noon ET) so I’m not sure if it will be then or 4pm.

15 minutes ago, me4afl said:

It is a rebrand/jersey release. Ryan Popowich (director of marketing for the flames) confirmed it with me. The article had said 10 am MT (noon ET) so I’m not sure if it will be then or 4pm.

So it is a rebrand then. Interesting.

This new tweet says 10 am, but the website countdown is definitely for 3:52 pm.

Something never seen before is foreboding to me if it's related to the rebrand. The NLL has had some wild identities, so something never before seen doesn't give me good vibes. However, since the release says it's a two-part announcement and it's the year of Our Lord 2021, it might just be an NFT.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

31 minutes ago, monkeypower said:

So it is a rebrand then. Interesting.

This new tweet says 10 am, but the website countdown is definitely for 3:52 pm.

Something never seen before is foreboding to me if it's related to the rebrand. The NLL has had some wild identities, so something never before seen doesn't give me good vibes. However, since the release says it's a two-part announcement and it's the year of Our Lord 2021, it might just be an NFT.

Makes sense. Someone was joking about making a NFT to help support the soccer tournament we play in next year. That's a sign it's gone too far when 40+ year old amateur soccer players are thinking about how to get in on that sweet, sweet NFT cryptomoney. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

4 hours ago, MJWalker45 said:

Makes sense. Someone was joking about making a NFT to help support the soccer tournament we play in next year. That's a sign it's gone too far when 40+ year old amateur soccer players are thinking about how to get in on that sweet, sweet NFT cryptomoney. 

1 hour ago, tigers said:

Hope it's good and not NFT.

I was just making a joke about it being an NFT...

• Like 2

IbjBaeE.png

NFTs are a scam that are doing tremendous damage to the environment, so...

• Like 1

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

And here I am completely lost, needing to look up what an NFT is because all yall are talking about it🤑

Fort Worth Panther City should probably have rethought their name (though I figure folks are gonna wind up calling them the Cats for short), but those jerseys are pretty sweet.

2016cubscreamsig.png

A strong mind gets high off success, a weak mind gets high off bull🤬

8 hours ago, me4afl said:

As in a new nickname for the team? Or just a new look?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

11 hours ago, Jer15 said:

As in a new nickname for the team? Or just a new look?

I heard it’s going to be different colors and hopefully an updated logo.  I assume they will stay as the Roughnecks. I can’t see them changing the name after 20 seasons and reigning ‘19 champs. They are going to announce a new corporate sponsor so I’m thinking that the logo will have those colors. The big thing is not NFT, has to do with the playing surface.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, me4afl said:

I heard it’s going to be different colors and hopefully an updated logo.  I assume they will stay as the Roughnecks. I can’t see them changing the name after 20 seasons and reigning ‘19 champs. They are going to announce a new corporate sponsor so I’m thinking that the logo will have those colors. The big thing is not NFT, has to do with the playing surface.

My sentiments exactly.

Thanks for the insight! 

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Dropping the red. They also removed the mountain from the logo, which I think is a good move.

The jerseys are just the (soon to be) old Arizona Coyotes jerseys. Also the fact that the Roughnecks wordmark isn't centred in the chest stripe of the alternate jersey seems like a mistake.

Also a new sponsorship with WestJet that includes a sponsored field coloured in WestJet's teal and blue, which is what they were referring to about "the first of it's kind in the NLL" or whatever.

IbjBaeE.png

9 minutes ago, pluggerplugger1 said:

I also figured they'd get an entirely new logo, not just an update from the original (though this update does look better).

Dropping the mountain from the logo is an improvement.

9 minutes ago, pluggerplugger1 said:

Losing red and going to black & grey confuses me, especially for a Calgary sports team.

Somebody made a remark in a Twitter response and I'm going conspiracy here.

As part of the this, the Roughnecks announced a sponsorship with WestJet. They couldn't in good consciousness go full out and change the team colours to teal and blue because that would be widely reviled, so they went with the turf because it's just turf.

But whose airline branding also uses the red and black used by the Roughnecks?

BN_TW_May22.jpg

tumblr_o16n2kBlpX1ta3qyvo1_1280.jpg

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png

18 minutes ago, pluggerplugger1 said:

Losing red and going to black & grey confuses me, especially for a Calgary sports team. I also figured they'd get an entirely new logo, not just an update from the original (though this update does look better).

Did the Rush leave those behind when they moved to Saskatoon?

• Like 2

I saw in a Twitter response that that Ryan Popowich guy said the red didn't look good against the teal in response to someone asking why the red was dropped.

Regardless of my Air Canada post, that's not a great company line in saying reason for the colour change is because the old colours clashed with a the colours of a sponsor because you made the turf the colours of the sponsor.

• Like 1

IbjBaeE.png