Professional Lacrosse Changes

Jer15

U.S. Pulls Away from Canada in World Championship Opener | USA Lacrosse  Magazine

The Women's World Lacrosse Championships recently wrapped up. 

https://www.womensworldlax2022.com/sports/wlax/2022-23/releases/U.S._Defeats_Canada_to_Become_First_Host_Country_to_Win_World_Championship

Here are some of the uniforms from the tournament.

U.S. women earn top seed at world lacrosse championships

USA and Canada in the Championship game.

Women open World Championship with win against Aussies — England Lacrosse

Australia vs England

U.S., Canada Advance to Gold Medal Game with Semifinal Wins | USA Lacrosse  MagazineAustralia vs USA

WWC Day 10 Wrap: Israel, Japan Advance to Fifth-Place Match | USA Lacrosse  Magazine

Israel

Northport Girl Makes Puerto Rico Women's National Lacrosse Team |  Northport, NY Patch

Puerto Rico

US, Canada, England and Australia Advance to Semifinals as Medal Round  Approaches | Inside Lacrosse

Mexico

2022 World Lacrosse Women's World Championship - Posts | FacebookΟ χρήστης 2022 Women's World Lacrosse Championship στο Twitter: "Spain is  making its second appearance in the Women's World Championship after  finishing in 23rd in 2017. 🇪🇸 𝗟𝗔𝗖𝗥𝗢𝗦𝗦𝗘 𝗛𝗜𝗦𝗧𝗢𝗥𝗬: Lacrosse  started inWomen's World Championship set to kick off with USA vs. Canada | World  Lacrosse

Jamaica, Spain, Japan

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

7 hours ago, Echo said:

I never understood the wire mesh goggles that women Lacrosse players wear.  Why no helmets?

Men's and women's lacrosse are different variations of the same sport. The men's game allows way more physicality, making helmets a necessity.

• Like 1

Hotter Than July > Thriller

4 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

Men's and women's lacrosse are different variations of the same sport. The men's game allows way more physicality, making helmets a necessity.

It's still got to hurt if you get hit in the face with a ball or stick and you're only wearing a tiny little cage over your eyes.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Echo said:

It's still got to hurt if you get hit in the face with a ball or stick and you're only wearing a tiny little cage over your eyes.

Since women's lacrosse is considered a "semi-contact" sport a full helmet isn't required. But several college teams have gone to this helmet/goggle combo for their players. 

Women's Helmet: Common Sense Says Cuse - Lacrosse All Stars

• Like 4

AmPJ0Ty.png 

• 3 weeks later...

The upstart minor league box-lacrosse PBLA has released their "Final Four" name finalists for each team and...hoo boy.

Binghamton: Bombers, Bravehearts, Blast, Brawlers

Charlotte: Fury, Bootleggers, Goal Diggers, United LAX

Elmira: Tilt, Express, Renegades, Huckleberries

Hampton: Neptunes, Salty Crabs, Hammerheads, Hooligans

New England: Warriors, Rebellion, United LAX, Chowderheads

Syracuse: Sasquatch, Revolution, Flow, Sparklemuffins

Trenton: Terror, Jersey Shorehounds, Titans, New Jersey Chopper Squad

I thought all my submissions were better (Binghamton Batallion, Charlotte Torque, Elmira Storm, Hampton Ironclads, New England Evergreens, Syracuse Express and Trenton Ambush)...but heaven only knows what went into their process.

EDIT: It appears "Woke Beavers" has been removed from the Binghamton name-the-team poll, replaced with "Blast."

• Like 1
  • LOL 1
  • Huh? 1

bYhYmxh.png

8 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

These throwback mesh jerseys look cheap as hell in action, although I'm sure they cost somewhere close to 100 bucks a pop.

It was a good idea in theory but I don't really get the "worn" look to them. 

26 minutes ago, JayMac said:

It was a good idea in theory but I don't really get the "worn" look to them. 

It might have helped if the jersey numbers and Champion logo didn't stand out so much. It's like they went retro with every other part of the jerseys but went modern there. 

If they were to go that route they should have gone all in and made the numbers/name on back match the look of the team names on the front and sleeve stripes. 

Seeing how these are supposed to be throwback inspired, they should not have included the big Champion logo on the chest. The retro style Champion patch near the bottom hem is all they needed.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 4_tattoos said:

It might have helped if the jersey numbers and Champion logo didn't stand out so much. It's like they went retro with every other part of the jerseys but went modern there. 

If they were to go that route they should have gone all in and made the numbers/name on back match the look of the team names on the front and sleeve stripes. 

Seeing how these are supposed to be throwback inspired, they should not have included the big Champion logo on the chest. The retro style Champion patch near the bottom hem is all they needed.

Or copy the old college football jerseys and put a smaller Champion logo on the left sleeve. I think heavy mesh on the shoulders/yoke would be more appropriate too.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

51 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Or copy the old college football jerseys and put a smaller Champion logo on the left sleeve. I think heavy mesh on the shoulders/yoke would be more appropriate too.

Was there any difference between old football and lacrosse jerseys back in the day? I'm sure football jerseys were probably more durable, but from a design standpoint I always thought there was no difference between football jerseys (with loose sleeve cuffs) and lacrosse jerseys. 

Honestly it looks like the PLL teams are wearing the same Champion jerseys my teams used to wear in football practice.

8 minutes ago, 4_tattoos said:

Was there any difference between old football and lacrosse jerseys back in the day? I'm sure football jerseys were probably more durable, but from a design standpoint I always thought there was no difference between football jerseys (with loose sleeve cuffs) and lacrosse jerseys. 

Honestly it looks like the PLL teams are wearing the same Champion jerseys my teams used to wear in football practice.

I remember having an old Ohio State jersey from the 1980's having that heavy mesh, but it also had that elastic insert on the sides rather than being stitched like the lacrosse jerseys. I thought that was the only difference.

https://images.app.goo.gl/wAA8VcFwYyMJa7Yn8

So that lack of a yoke doesn't even match older Champion jerseys.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 2 weeks later...

The mesh jerseys looked good as a whole but the replicas they sold on the shop was a rare miss. They were replicas and didnt have holes! I get why they did it but i'm gonna be bummed if we lose the soccer-style jerseys when Champion gets a hold of the jerseys more than just replicating what Adidas did.
Cannons_Mesh_Throwback_Jersey_1_1080x.pn

Chaos_Mesh_Throwback_Jersey_2_fd700123-3

The PBLA has officially announced their team names...they make you click several links (the middle one is here), but here they all are.

Binghamton Bombers

Charlotte Bootleggers

Elmira Renegades

Hampton Hammerheads

New England Chowderheads

Syracuse Spark (no "-lemuffins")

Trenton Terror

Sounds pretty standard (though I look forward to seeing what they come up with for the Bootleggers and Chowderheads), and I see they chose to play it safe for 'Cuse...let's see how this all plays out.

bYhYmxh.png

new PLL championship trophy

EDIT:

1. They were using crystal/glassine trophies the first 3 seasons of the league. Last year Chaos broke theirs while celebrating in the locker room.
  2. I assume the Championship Series which takes part in the winter will have its own separate trophy.