European Super League

12 minutes ago, Sport said:

Is this a season long tournament, but these teams remain in the Premier League (or whatever) otherwise or a new league that these clubs will play every game inside of? 

I watched the Amazon Prime series on Tottenham last year and was considering offering them my support, but if Simmons is a fan then I just can't. 

To your first question, essentially the Super League would replace the Champions League. So instead of them having extra games among other league winners (and runners up), they'd instead have Wednesday games among each other. If that sounds stupid it's because it is.

Simmons wrote a column years ago saying he wanted to get into Premier League soccer, and wrote a long exposition about why he was going to be a Tottenham fan. I think his fandom lasted about a week before he realized none of his pop culture references could work in soccer, and that Nick Hornby beat him to the punch in that sport anyway.

I was a Tottenham fan for the season they had DeAndre Yedlin riding the bench. And when I visited England a few years back, I stopped by White Hart Lane and their pro shop. White Hart Lane was pretty remarkable being a very old soccer stadium right in the middle of a very diverse neighborhood. It was an interesting experience seeing a soccer mecca situated right next to convenience stores that were selling plastic lawn furniture, African sundries, and international phone cards.

I don't have an EPL team I follow, in part because it's hard to know how to watch the games; whether they're on Peacock (not on Fire TV) or on NBC, and when they're being played. I have a tendency to follow wherever USMNT guys are playing, so right now, I keep an eye on Chelsea for Pulisic, but he's not been playing as much and Chelsea feels kind of gross anyways.

The team I like most in English soccer is Nottingham Forest because they have cool history and cooler uniforms and a great stadium, but they finish mid-table in the Championship each season and never threaten to get promoted back to the Premier League.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

To your first question, essentially the Super League would replace the Champions League. So instead of them having extra games among other league winners (and runners up), they'd instead have Wednesday games among each other. If that sounds stupid it's because it is.

That is incredibly lame. It's like when the cool kids in my high school had a party one Friday night, but were very purposely vocal about the guest list the week before so everyone really knew where they stood. (I was not invited to the Cool Kids party).

3 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

Simmons wrote a column years ago saying he wanted to get into Premier League soccer, and wrote a long exposition about why he was going to be a Tottenham fan. I think his fandom lasted about a week before he realized none of his pop culture references could work in soccer, and that Nick Hornby beat him to the punch in that sport anyway.

I was a Tottenham fan for the season they had DeAndre Yedlin riding the bench. And when I visited England a few years back, I stopped by White Hart Lane and their pro shop. White Hart Lane was pretty remarkable being a very old soccer stadium right in the middle of a very diverse neighborhood. It was an interesting experience seeing a soccer mecca situated right next to convenience stores that were selling plastic lawn furniture, African sundries, and international phone cards.

I don't have an EPL team I follow, in part because it's hard to know how to watch the games; whether they're on Peacock (not on Fire TV) or on NBC, and when they're being played. I have a tendency to follow wherever USMNT guys are playing, so right now, I keep an eye on Chelsea for Pulisic, but he's not been playing as much and Chelsea feels kind of gross anyways.

The team I like most in English soccer is Nottingham Forest because they have cool history and cooler uniforms and a great stadium, but they finish mid-table in the Championship each season and never threaten to get promoted back to the Premier League.

At this point supporting any of the teams in the Super League feels gross so I'm out on supporting Tottenham anyway.

I want to be one of those guys who chooses a European team to support and then gets angry at them as if I'd been raised to be a fan since birth. That seems like a fun thing American soccer fans do. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

12 minutes ago, Sport said:

I want to be one of those guys who chooses a European team to support and then gets angry at them as if I'd been raised to be a fan since birth. That seems like a fun thing American soccer fans do. 

Go with West Ham, they'll never fail to not let you down, but they'll manage to avoid relegation. If you like the fear of that, go with Newcastle. Everyone hates their owner anyways, kind of like Austin FC. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

If you're not choosing a Super League team then you're definitely going to be angry. Unless you luck upon a Leicester or West Ham this season.

If I were complete unaffiliated, I think rooting for Dortmund would be good. They're not garbage, they have cool uniforms, they have a great stadium, and they opted out of Super League. That's pretty good! 

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

7 hours ago, Sport said:

That is incredibly lame. It's like when the cool kids in my high school had a party one Friday night, but were very purposely vocal about the guest list the week before so everyone really knew where they stood. (I was not invited to the Cool Kids party).

At this point supporting any of the teams in the Super League feels gross so I'm out on supporting Tottenham anyway.

That's exactly what this is. 12 self-proclaimed big clubs jerking themselves off over how popular they all are. And I say "popular" rather than "great" because Arsenal and Tottenham sure as hell have no claim to having that word associated with them at this point in time...which should also be proof enough about how fleeting this stuff can be. Arsenal was legitimately great in the '90s and '00s, but they've been mediocre by their standards for almost a decade now. Tottenham is Tottenham - fortunate to compete for something every now and then, but never actually wins anything, at all. Milan is on pace to qualify for the Champions League for the first time since the 2013-'14 season. Inter had a similar dry spell between 2011-2017. Atletico's best claim for several years was being beaten by Real Madrid every single time they met until Diego Simeone showed up on their sideline one day. 

Point being, while some of those clubs are big by historical standards and by today's standards as well, the fact is that, on merit, some of them have zero claim to being associated with anything like this. And, you know what? If you told me that this league would be something of a "3-4 English/Italian/Spanish/German" (pref. 3), + 2-3 French + 2 Portuguese + 1 Dutch + maybe a few others, all qualifying based on their previous season's league finish...well, I'd probably still philosophically disagree for reasons I already outlined back on the first page of this thread, for being exclusionary to clubs outside the "elite" countries, but that would still be better than this. Florentino Perez talking about that "no, it's not a closed circuit, there's five open spots" like, gee whiz, you want the :censored: in' Nobel Peace Prize for your excessive generosity to the poors? 12-15 fixed spots for clubs no matter how well (or poorly) they perform in their domestic leagues is utterly gross and an insult to the sport. 

Don't know if I wrote this in my post on the first page, but the Bundesliga has always been my favorite league in Europe, and, along with Ligue 1, the clubs appear to have scruples. 50% + 1 helps in that regard, of course. And there's a club in Germany I've always liked above the others in Borussia Mönchengladbach. I don't want to say something that I might end up having to walk back on, but I definitely wouldn't be surprised if my interest in the Bundesliga only goes up even more after this. And Ligue 1...even if Marseille isn't involved, I have to suspect that @DiePerske really appreciates there being a genuine title race having developed there this year. Ligue 1 has always deserved better; I hope this year is the beginning of a rise in Ligue 1's quality and awareness moving forward.

spacer.png

5 minutes ago, CS85 said:

EDIT: From Pep:

Manchester City manager Pep Guardiola has criticised the plan to create a European Super League by insisting the competition "is not a sport."

Under the plans, the founding members would retain their places regardless of success on the pitch. And while Guardiola admits he needs more details about the proposals, he hit out at the concept during a news conference Tuesday.

"It is not a sport where the relation between effort and success does not exist," said Guardiola, who revealed he was made aware of the plan "a few hours" before the statement was published Sunday night.

"It is not a sport where success is already guaranteed or it doesn't matter if you lose. I said many times, I want the best competition. It is not fair when one team fight, fight, fight at the top and cannot be qualified because it is just for a few teams."

Just coming on here to say that. It seems like Chelsea will be the first club to pull out. 

Even though I support Chelsea (only because of Pulisic), they should still suffer a points deduction in the Premier League or even a forced relegation. The PL has to set an example and come down hard on the six clubs who attempted this. 

EDIT: Now City too. This thing is dead. No way the other teams won’t pull out now.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

Just now, CS85 said:

And it continues.

Seems like a wrap at this point. They've now lost 2 out of 12 teams. The others are sure to follow.

Score one for today's good billionaires versus the bad ones. Next up: let's see what we can do about Qatar.

I shouldn't be surprised Chelsea fans took to the streets, but here they are:

I bet you if the NCAA instituted a permanent college football playoff roster, Bama and Florida and Ohio State fans would be just fine with their entry.

Barca President has just come out saying they will not join the ESL until their fans vote for it, so it sounds Barcelona is pulling out.

And just now, Atlético is pulling out too. 

This thing is certainly dead now. 

EDIT: Apparently among the English clubs, Liverpool and Man Utd have been the main clubs really pushing this. Either Chelsea or City are accusing LFC and MUN of lying to them and “effing up”. 

The NCAA used to have one in the BCS days. It was called "Notre Dame."

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It is incredibly refreshing when the world's billionaires mess up so badly that they actually have to face a consequence, however small or fleeting it may be. Always savor these moments.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

11 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I bet you if the NCAA instituted a permanent college football playoff roster, Bama and Florida and Ohio State fans would be just fine with their entry.

I don't think that would be the case.  I'll only speak on Florida but if there were some plan out there that led to Florida and two or three other programs leaving the SEC to join a Super Conference with other teams from across the country, I imagine the opposition may not be unanimous but it would be pretty vocal.  There's still a large segment of the fanbase that complains about how little we play Auburn anymore.  Being part of the SEC and the rivalries is a pretty big part of Florida's brand identity.  I imagine it's the same with Alabama and then with Ohio State in the Big Ten.

IUe6Hvh.png

13 minutes ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I shouldn't be surprised Chelsea fans took to the streets, but here they are:

Imagine these people going bonkers over social issues like ... you know what? Let them have their one day in the sun. 

I saw, I came, I left.

This stuff is crazy. Now it’s coming out that Chelsea was either one of the last PL teams to join, or the final club, at the last minute. Liverpool, Man United and now Arsenal are being labeled as the “ring leaders” who were really pushing this. 

Not a surprise as they’re the English clubs who are owned by American venture capitalists so of course they’d would be in support of a league model that reflects what we have here in the States.

Archived