European Super League

• Replies 221
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, See Red said:

I don't think that would be the case.  I'll only speak on Florida but if there were some plan out there that led to Florida and two or three other programs leaving the SEC to join a Super Conference with other teams from across the country, I imagine the opposition may not be unanimous but it would be pretty vocal.  There's still a large segment of the fanbase that complains about how little we play Auburn anymore.  Being part of the SEC and the rivalries is a pretty big part of Florida's brand identity.  I imagine it's the same with Alabama and then with Ohio State in the Big Ten.

The distinction is that Florida and Alabama would still have their SEC schedule; they just instead always be in a closed postseason regardless of finish. I.e., the CFP would become the College Football Super League, and you've have 16 premier programs in a playoff every season, regardless of record. That's what was proposed here.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

https://www.espn.com/soccer/

Shaka Hislop called UEFA out for this. It's about halfway down the page. 

Actually, is that exact clip that influenced me on that previous post.

I had a feeling this "Super League" was more a posturing move. I really hope those clubs realise if they want to get more money, just run a better orgainisation. 

I saw, I came, I left.

they should all get a year or two ban from European competition, but UEFA will end up being their own collateral damage if that’s the case.

oh well, let us enjoy this one small victory: a crappier Champions League.

Showcasing fan-made sports apparel by artists and designers

5 hours ago, DG_ThenNowForever said:

I bet you if the NCAA instituted a permanent college football playoff roster, Bama and Florida and Ohio State fans would be just fine with their entry.

I won't lie to you, I know I feel conflicted in the knowledge that, without thinking too deep about it, I wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem with NCAA teams doing this as I have with UEFA teams doing this. And it's not even a ":censored: the NCAA" kind of deal, either; UEFA is massively corrupt and unlikeable as well. I suspect it mostly boils down to that the NCAA, of course, doesn't financially compensate athletes. I mean, yeah, they get scholarships for education...guess what? That's only useful if that matters to you. Like, don't offer me beer instead of money for doing a job for you, because I hate beer and have no use for it. Give me something that I can actually use, you know?

But I suspect that, if I did think deeper about it, I would probably come to some other problematic conclusions. And you do include Florida in there, but of course Florida no longer resides among those elites like they did about 10 years ago. They would only get invited if such a pool of teams were big enough to permit; there are at least 9 teams I can think of (and I'll name them - Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, Notre Dame, LSU, USC, Texas, and Oklahoma...yes, they wouldn't exclude USC or Texas) who would be invited first, for one reason or another. 

spacer.png

LOL this is hilarious. Never underestimate the power of complaining en masse. 

As an OSU fan I would hate an NCAA Super League. Now, if a collection of rich dicks banded together and created a 14 team Junior NFL outside of the NCAA for kids who don't want to go to college and want to make 100 grand as 18 year olds then I might watch that. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

9 minutes ago, Kramerica Industries said:

I won't lie to you, I know I feel conflicted in the knowledge that, without thinking too deep about it, I wouldn't have nearly as much of a problem with NCAA teams doing this as I have with UEFA teams doing this. And it's not even a ":censored: the NCAA" kind of deal, either; UEFA is massively corrupt and unlikeable as well. I suspect it mostly boils down to that the NCAA, of course, doesn't financially compensate athletes. I mean, yeah, they get scholarships for education...guess what? That's only useful if that matters to you. Like, don't offer me beer instead of money for doing a job for you, because I hate beer and have no use for it. Give me something that I can actually use, you know?

But I suspect that, if I did think deeper about it, I would probably come to some other problematic conclusions. And you do include Florida in there, but of course Florida no longer resides among those elites like they did about 10 years ago. They would only get invited if such a pool of teams were big enough to permit; there are at least 9 teams I can think of (and I'll name them - Alabama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, Notre Dame, LSU, USC, Texas, and Oklahoma...yes, they wouldn't exclude USC or Texas) who would be invited first, for one reason or another. 

Eh, I think Florida would get in over LSU and maybe Oklahoma.  Being the most popular team in the third most populous state would matter, I suspect.

Fwiw, at this point I would be fine with the P5 making a clean split from the G5, but that's a whole different conversation.

IUe6Hvh.png

Ed Woodward reportedly has quit Manchester United. Since he was going to be one of the vice-presidents involved, he had to fall on the sword. There were enough United fans that didn't want him involved in the team before this happened. If it's true I hope this means they bring Edwin Vandersar in. People have wanted him at the club for the past several years. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Just now, MJWalker45 said:

Ed Woodward reportedly has quit Manchester United. Since he was going to be one of the vice-presidents involved, he had to fall on the sword. There were enough United fans that didn't want him involved in the team before this happened. If it's true I hope this means they bring Edwin Vandersar in. People have wanted him at the club for the past several years. 

I have no idea what's going on, but I do enjoy watching this collapse.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

11 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Wow. Let's party like it's 1999! 

I saw, I came, I left.

15 minutes ago, CS85 said:

I have no idea what's going on, but I do enjoy watching this collapse.

https://www.football365.com/news/man-utd-super-league-divided-money-tiers-liverpool-chelsea-arsenal

Woodward's been good at getting Manchester United great deals, outside of signing players. Seeing that they and the top two Spanish clubs were going to make the most I can see why it was easier for other teams to back out. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

5 hours ago, Sport said:

LOL this is hilarious. Never underestimate the power of complaining en masse. 

As an OSU fan I would hate an NCAA Super League. Now, if a collection of rich dicks banded together and created a 14 team Junior NFL outside of the NCAA for kids who don't want to go to college and want to make 100 grand as 18 year olds then I might watch that. 

Whether it had been the AAF or the XFL 2.0 or any other spring league, I wish that would be exactly what happened. Create a league that circumvents the NCAA entirely so that they don't get to benefit off free labor. 

spacer.png

I truly love this board.

SsemhX1.png

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

1 minute ago, DEAD! said:

you got me there... 😅

Also, this sign is ... rich coming from Chelsea fans... 

r843151_1296x864_3-2.jpg&w=750&h=500&sca

To be fair, they were supposed to be rebuilding Stamford Bridge, but since their owner is persona non grata in the UK, prior to this latest fiasco, that's been shelved. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

Archived