2021 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVI

canzman

3 hours ago, Sport said:

The Lions looked stupid last night. Those pants, if you must use white pants, need stripes- to use an old CCSLCism. When I was a youth we had a term for all white matte pants - we called them practice pants. 

I really hate this trend of every team treating all-white like it's some universal neutral look that any team can adopt for a game or two whenever they feel like it. Yes, every team has a white jersey, but that doesn't mean every team should wear stripeless white pants with stripeless white socks. That's especially true of teams like the Saints and Lions who have gold and silver helmets, which in my opinion look the worst atop an all-white uniform. The white pants also mean they don't wear the superior gold or silver pants. 

Unless we're talking about the all-blue or all-gray combinations I actually like this set of Lions uniforms. They're evocative of classic car design, they actually went for something, but didn't go overboard, and they stopped using black. There's zero need for white pants. 

I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t like the white-out look. For some teams (Saints, Bengals, Colts, Jets, Giants, Ravens, Dolphins, Bills, Cardinals, Texans, Panthers), just wearing socks in their primary color makes a white jersey/white pants look (basically) work - although Carolina needs to drop white pants altogether. For others (Lions, Rams, Raiders, arguably even Cowboys and Packers), there’s simply no reason for white pants to even exist, and they look asinine when they’re worn. 

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, MCM0313 said:

I’m glad I’m not the only one who doesn’t like the white-out look. For some teams (Saints, Bengals, Colts, Jets, Giants, Ravens, Dolphins, Bills, Cardinals, Texans, Panthers), just wearing socks in their primary color makes a white jersey/white pants look (basically) work - although Carolina needs to drop white pants altogether. For others (Lions, Rams, Raiders, arguably even Cowboys and Packers), there’s simply no reason for white pants to even exist, and they look asinine when they’re worn. 

Despite how many people say that, the Panthers have always worn white pants with their white jersey - since 1995. They've only worn silver pants with the white jersey once, in Week 17 1998 against the Colts. Can't imagine wanting to drop white pants when our best look uses it as well:

untitled-design.jpg

Pair that baby with a Panthers blue helmet and swap the silver stripes for white and you've got the best uniform in the NFL.

the user formerly known as cdclt

1 minute ago, MCM0313 said:

This is sort of the same point I made about the Ravens and their all-white socks from Week 1 - putting stripes on the socks make it look like they made a conscious design choice. It means they went to the trouble of getting custom pieces made for all their players. It's a big league team move. It means there's some intentionality and thought about what they're wearing. It means they paid more. All white socks (or pants, in this case) just look like they ordered a bunch of generic units from Eastbay. 

That doesn't mean I don't think anybody should wear all-white. I just think the pants should have a stripe or design element that ties into the rest of the uniform in some way. I don't think the Steelers, for example, should ever wear anything other than yellow pants. 

I will give the Jaguars a pass on this because they designed the entire uniform around simplicity and their pants actually do have some small unique touches on them. They devoted the entire uniform to that aesthetic and committed fully. I have some small issues with the overall set, but at least they're not taking a half-measure like these all-white Lions and Saints pants, which exist because of reasons nobody can articulate. 

5 minutes ago, NFLfan10 said:

Bengals announce white on white in Pittsburgh this week. Doesn’t say which white pants or socks.

They'll probably wear plaint white socks. This is why I hate the two sets of white pants because now I have to sit here and worry about them wearing the Nemo pants. 

1 minute ago, Lights Out said:

That would look better with silver pants.

Yeah it does look better. We've seen it. I don't get why people love that blue jersey/white pants look when the white pants make the silver helmet stick out. 

PvO6ZWJ.png

18 hours ago, Cujo said:

Is there even a reason (besides just being wasteful) why the Lions don't wear they silver pants w/ stripes with their silver jerseys? 🥴

Because that wouldn't be monochromatic and thus elicit fire emojis.

The regular silver helmet is so out of place with the the dark gray. But I'm not sure silver pants would be any better and think blue would somehow be worse? If they must keep it at least wear blue socks. But the best thing for the Lions is to just set fire to that whole uniform.

2 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

Bengals announce white on white in Pittsburgh this week. Doesn’t say which white pants or socks.

The release does say “white pants (black stripes).” But you’re right, not sure which socks they’ll pair with them?

3 minutes ago, smarisca03 said:

I personally don't understand why you guys have such a problem with white over white I think it's a good look for teams however I don't like seeing it all the time

Teams with gold/silver helmets don't need white pants IMO

spacer.png

4 hours ago, Sport said:

This is sort of the same point I made about the Ravens and their all-white socks from Week 1 - putting stripes on the socks make it look like they made a conscious design choice. It means they went to the trouble of getting custom pieces made for all their players. It's a big league team move. It means there's some intentionality and thought about what they're wearing. It means they paid more. All white socks (or pants, in this case) just look like they ordered a bunch of generic units from Eastbay. 

That doesn't mean I don't think anybody should wear all-white. I just think the pants should have a stripe or design element that ties into the rest of the uniform in some way. I don't think the Steelers, for example, should ever wear anything other than yellow pants. 

I will give the Jaguars a pass on this because they designed the entire uniform around simplicity and their pants actually do have some small unique touches on them. They devoted the entire uniform to that aesthetic and committed fully. I have some small issues with the overall set, but at least they're not taking a half-measure like these all-white Lions and Saints pants, which exist because of reasons nobody can articulate. 

They'll probably wear plaint white socks. This is why I hate the two sets of white pants because now I have to sit here and worry about them wearing the Nemo pants. 

Yeah it does look better. We've seen it. I don't get why people love that blue jersey/white pants look when the white pants make the silver helmet stick out. 

Didn’t the Saints’ original Color Rush have B/G/B stripes on the pants? I agree about plain white pants for sure. 

1 hour ago, smarisca03 said:

I personally don't understand why you guys have such a problem with white over white I think it's a good look for teams however I don't like seeing it all the time

It's not just white over white it's when a team adds plain white pants with no design along with solid white socks and totally takes away from the team identity.

Archived