2021 NFL Season week by week uniform match-up combos: From HOF Game to Super Bowl LVI

canzman

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
32 minutes ago, Sport said:

Yeah I thought the Jags were a good choice to wear orange against for that reason.

They've had a dumb history of choosing to wear orange against teams that they should not be wearing it against. 

The Bengals are celebrating the anniversary of the 1981 team. They played the Chargers in the conference championship game, that should have been one of the orange games. 

Bengals: Must say Im impressed with 90% of the design. As I’ve tried to intimate previously, I think it’s very sharp how they consistently treat the tiger stripes like a motif, rather than a pattern, that appears as one color depending on the background. The black jersey and pants have orange stripes, the white jersey and good white pants get black stripes, and the orange helmet and jersey get black stripes.  

Many will say it looks “incomplete” because they’re clinging to an erroneous notion that every piece of a uniform has to feature every color, but the current era of design is more focused on having less visual distraction and fitting modern templates than fulfilling such a dated conception of “consistency.” The Bengals look good in any combination of the aforementioned pieces as long as they wear the right socks, like last week against the Steelers (a beautiful AFC North matchup of which there are far more to come now that the Bengals and Browns have cleaned up).

THAT IS until you get to the clownfish pants. Whats so frustrating about them, aside from being extremely ugly and looking more like a Pixar fish than any preconceived idea of a “tiger,” is that they completely throw away the motif that they forged with every other piece of the uniform. It’s almost like they had this whole consistent design put together, but got scared that people would complain about their being no orange on the pants. So, they panicked and tried to make a pair that would give the best of both worlds and ended up creating one diabolically hideous new world. As someone else mentioned, the orange alt last night was a little on the garish side because it didn’t feature enough of their actual primary color (black) which the white pants with black stripes could’ve supplied admirably. Teams keep tripping themselves out of hitting a home run with these for no damn reason.  

Jaguars: So the Jags, following a 2020 season where they wore *9* different jersey/pants combinations for the first time, would appear to have committed to having all three of their sock options available at any given time as well, making *27* total combinations. Who knows how many of those they’ll actually get through this season, as they’ve already been through four different ones (six including preseason). Last nights b-w-b-w was, well, an admirable effort to break up the black leggings, although the obvious problem is that it still has no teal. I’m eager to see if they’ll try b-w-b-t before the seasons over, just so I can feel something.*  

I’ll say, an interesting side effect of the white color rush socks taking over for a lot of teams is they’ve begun experimenting with using them with dark pants usually paired with socks of the same color. Post-color rush sure has made for a weird era in this league below the knee.  

*That feeling I get when I see the color teal on a football field

21 minutes ago, Bathysphere said:

Jaguars: So the Jags, following a 2020 season where they wore *9* different jersey/pants combinations for the first time, would appear to have committed to having all three of their sock options available at any given time as well, making *27* total combinations. Who knows how many of those they’ll actually get through this season, as they’ve already been through four different ones (six including preseason). Last nights b-w-b-w was, well, an admirable effort to break up the black leggings, although the obvious problem is that it still has no teal. I’m eager to see if they’ll try b-w-b-t before the seasons over, just so I can feel something.*  

I’ll say, an interesting side effect of the white color rush socks taking over for a lot of teams is they’ve begun experimenting with using them with dark pants usually paired with socks of the same color. Post-color rush sure has made for a weird era in this league below the knee.  

*That feeling I get when I see the color teal on a football field

From the stands that Jaguars uniform looks like a black and white generic stand-in for a uniform because their actual uniforms got lost in the mail or something. I kept thinking about how much better it would look if all they did was the simple step of using teal numbers instead of black. 

spacer.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

On 9/30/2021 at 11:43 AM, canzman said:

Hmmmm, so pictures from the Dolphins practice this week show the current logos have been removed from the helmets fueling the chance of one of the throwbacks being used this Sunday, but they still have the white facemasks.

Are we getting the throwbacks with white facemasks this year or are they waiting  until after practice today to swap the facemasks?

Univ. of Miami played with orange end zones with the diamond pattern so I think that confirms how the Dolphins will dress on Sunday. 

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

59 minutes ago, MJWalker45 said:

Univ. of Miami played with orange end zones with the diamond pattern so I think that confirms how the Dolphins will dress on Sunday. 

Oh I think we are getting throwbacks on Sunday. The Questions are White or Aqua and are they swapping the facemasks?

Miami has worn aqua during the day in the earlier season before the 1972 season. In fact, they didn't do WAH at all prior to the perfect season.

Here are several games

Raiders vs Dolphins - October 3, 1971

Browns vs Dolphins - October 25, 1971

Jets vs Dolphins - October 3, 1971

Patriots vs Dolphins - October 17, 1971

7 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

Why is there so much speculation over whether the Dolphins will wear white or aqua throwbacks? When have they ever worn aqua at home during the day this early in the season in recent history? 

They wore the Aqua throwback for a 1 o'clock home game in October in 2016.

Seahawks are a tough team to figure out when it comes to their road uniforms. I thought this would be a gray game for sure since they love wearing it against SF and ARI. Instead, we get white over navy for the third time in four weeks, and after a loss in which they gave up 23 unanswered points. Thought maybe we’d see white or gray pants. 

5 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

Yeah, that was Week 7, toward the end of the month. I will be absolutely shocked if they wear it on October 3.

There is very little diference in south Florida between early and late October as relates to the temperature. 

5 hours ago, NFLfan10 said:

Seahawks are a tough team to figure out when it comes to their road uniforms. I thought this would be a gray game for sure since they love wearing it against SF and ARI. Instead, we get white over navy for the third time in four weeks, and after a loss in which they gave up 23 unanswered points. Thought maybe we’d see white or gray pants. 

Seattle likes to wear the all white combo for primetime games. I think they'll do that in Pittsburgh.

28 minutes ago, canzman said:

There is very little diference in south Florida between early and late October as relates to the temperature. 

Teams don’t seem to think this way though. A lot of teams will wear white at home one weekend and then color at home a week later. I’m just saying I didn’t see any way the Fins would wear aqua Week 4, especially since the time we’re talking about (Week 7, 2016)  only happened once, and it was five years ago. Miami already confirmed white throwbacks tomorrow anyway.

34 minutes ago, gothedistance said:

Seattle likes to wear the all white combo for primetime games. I think they'll do that in Pittsburgh.

Not really, in the last few years, here’s how they’ve used all white:

2016 - white/white @Saints 10am, they wore grey for SNF at the Cardinals, Grey at Green Bay for a late afternoon game, white/Grey at Tampa Bay in a late afternoon game, white/navy at New England on SNF, and white/navy for the playoff game in Atlanta

2017 - every Seahawks road game this year was either late afternoon or prime time, they wore all white against the Rams on a clear sunny day, white/navy against the 49ers, Jaguars, and Packers (all late starts so kind of night time games?), all Grey at the giants at 4:25, white/Grey at the titans 4:25, and color rush at Arizona on TNF

2018 - they wore all white on MNF against the bears, but also wore white/navy for a London game against the raiders; besides that it was white/navy on the road except white/Grey against the Rams and all Grey in Arizona 

2019 - no white/white or white/Grey this year, wore white/navy for every road game (including multiple prime time and playoff games), except Grey in Arizona and Grey in SF on MNF

2020 - white/white in week 1 against Atlanta early game, white/Grey at Buffalo early game, white/navy against the Eagles on MNF, all Grey in Arizona in a game that got flexed to SNF, and white/navy at Washington and at Rams in sofi

2021 - so far we’ve just seen white/navy on the road, I hope we don’t wear Grey in Arizona again… I’d like to see all white in Pittsburgh on SNF, grey against the Rams, and white/grey against the Texans… hopefully Washington wears all white when they host Seattle on MNF so we can see the navy/grey

Archived