On 6/22/2021 at 2:35 PM, TheRealPepman said:

Since there's too many uniforms, if it was up to me, for all Playoff rounds, teams must only wear their default Icon (away in colour) and Association (home white) jerseys.

I am fine with three ... association, icon and statement. That promotes some color vs. color that works. Just no City or Earned jerseys. Throwbacks, maybe? Or, maybe once a round for a non-clenching game (so games 1-3)?

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

I think three is just right.  It's a good balance between not enough variety and too much variety. But I still think the home team should wear white.  I want to be able to glance at a game, see who is wearing white, and know that it's the home team.  

I was watching some random Youtube videos of NBA highlights from 2019-2021.  Whenever I see a highlight, for whatever reason, this first things I want to know are what teams are playing, and where they are playing.  I don't know, maybe it's just wanting to know the context of the highlight.  So sometimes, I would spend the entire duration of the highlight trying to figure out what the teams are and where they are playing, and I would miss the entire actual highlight, and sometimes I wouldn't even be able to figure out the answers to those questions before the highlight ended. 

Anyway, I think the home team should wear white, and the road team should have either a road primary or a road alternate to choose from.  Admittedly, I was really into the NBA in the 90s/2000s, and that's when I watched the most NBA, and that was kind of the way things were done in that era.  So maybe I'm just stuck in the past, getting old, and need to get with the times.

I definitely agree with no city or earned jerseys in the playoffs, and I would say no throwbacks as well.

9 hours ago, SCalderwood said:

Admittedly, I was really into the NBA in the 90s/2000s, and that's when I watched the most NBA, and that was kind of the way things were done in that era.  So maybe I'm just stuck in the past, getting old, and need to get with the times.

This is me as well. But, I have to admit I am now so much against the road team in white as I used to be. But, my preference is still either the home team in white or a color vs. color matchup. 

kimball banner.png

"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific." Lily Tomlin

On 4/26/2021 at 12:24 PM, Sport said:

6. NO THROWBACKS, ALTERNATES OR CITY EDITION UNIFORMS IN THE PLAYOFFS. PERIOD.

I understand the sentiment. But, while the Cavs really screwed up, let's not forget this beautiful event in the 2003 Finals:

CfxYvRbWsAEEv9K.jpg

The shame here is that the Spurs, another former ABA team, failed to wear their own throwbacks.

logo-diamonds-for-CC-no-photo-sig.png

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2021 at 3:56 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

I understand the sentiment. But, while the Cavs really screwed up, let's not forget this beautiful event in the 2003 Finals:

CfxYvRbWsAEEv9K.jpg

The shame here is that the Spurs, another former ABA team, failed to wear their own throwbacks.

Beautiful event? Maybe if they'd got the throwbacks right, but these look more like the late 80s version of that uniform than the ABA incarnation. 

3 hours ago, Discogod said:

Beautiful event? Maybe if they'd got the throwbacks right, but these look more like the late 80s version of that uniform than the ABA incarnation. 

The late-80s version had the same design. (The only difference was that, on the road set, "New Jersey" was written in white inside the red stripe.)

This was a faithful adaptation of that uniform to the current template. It's the same thing that the Brewers did when they wore their beautiful throwback-inspired uniforms, but in a buttondown/belted style; and it is the same thing that the White Sox do in wearing their 80s throwbacks with belted pants.

Would I have preferred shorter shorts? Yes, indeed. Or else a third star could have been added to the shorts, so that there would not be any empty blue space between the top star and the waistband.

But those are quibbles. Overall, this is one of the best throwbacks ever, in terms both of execution and of emotional impact.  (When I saw these uniforms, I squealed like a 1960s teenybopper Beatle fan. Their use in the Finals ranks amongst my greatest sports-fan moment.)

On 7/9/2021 at 8:35 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

. . . faithful adaptation of that uniform to the current template . . . 

Almost/maybe.

On this version, the wordmark and number are centered, with the stripes very much on the side.  On the originals, the stripes were placed more toward the front of the jersey, with the wordmark and number pushed to the right.

spacer.pngspacer.png

Most Liked Content of the Day -- February 15, 2017, August 21, 2017, August 22, 2017     /////      Proud Winner of the CCSLC Post of the Day Award -- April 8, 2008

Originator of the Upside Down Sarcasm Smilie -- November 1, 2005  🙃

5 hours ago, leopard88 said:
On 7/9/2021 at 8:35 AM, Ferdinand Cesarano said:

. . . faithful adaptation of that uniform to the current template . . . 

Almost/maybe.

On this version, the wordmark and number are centered, with the stripes very much on the side.  On the originals, the stripes were placed more toward the front of the jersey, with the wordmark and number pushed to the right.

spacer.png    spacer.png

Ah, yes; that's true.  Good observation.

So in this respect the throwback uniforms were inexact.  Still I was/am willing to forgive this, on account of the overall impression. 

To me the stars on the shorts are the bigger issue.  But even that is minor.  None of these flaws stopped me from revelling in the use of those uniforms.  I know that the Nets lost the series; but it kind of feels like they won, on account of the thrill of seeing the uniforms.

Archived