Logos that look bad, but feel right

This is a thread for logos that, on paper, sound like they would look bad, but still feel right in practice. The logos with complex or confusing elements, odd fonts, weird colors, or too many individual parts of the logo that still just work. Here are a few examples.

New York Islanders Logo Primary Logo (2017/18-Pres) - NY in white on blue circle with Long Island below in orange, four stripes of tape represent four Stanley Cups - outline added to logo in 2018 SportsLogos.Net Las Vegas Raiders Logo Primary Logo (2020-Pres) - The Las Vegas Raiders mostly retained their long-used primary logo, a pirate wearing a silver football helmet and a black eye patch on a black shield, from their days in Oakland and Los Angeles upon moving to Las Vegas in 2020. The lone change was the addition of a black outline to outside of the shield which is for use only when the Las Vegas Raiders logo is shown on a white background. SportsLogos.Net

Anyone else have any logos like these?

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

3097.png

No reason this logo should be as good as it is. Black outlines, orange basketball, cartoon hornet dribbling a ball, teal and purple, massive arched text, and yet it all works so well together.

the user formerly known as cdclt

I think the OP has a couple of nice examples. The Raiders because of their (now in the rear view mirror) "Just Win Baby" culture and the Islanders probably because of the cups.  The latter just screams 1970s. And the Raiders, while not terrible, isn't quite right for a helmet in that you can't really see what's going there except for closeups.

Most of the rest of these are just bad and that's it (except the Devils, which is just great).

The first one I came up with is the Flyers. Kind of like the Islanders, it's definitely a product of its era, but I really like it and would never want them to change.

161.gif

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

17 hours ago, DNAsports said:

spacer.png

spacer.png

Both are absolutely crap clip-art, but this is one of those “you’re gonna miss it when it’s gone” moments

I think it was good because it ran with the name and idea. It could have used an update, but it worked. It is such as shame that they replaced this branding with some generic Washington DC symbolism (and if I'm frank, that Washington Monument logo works much better as an alternate logo). If you've got the name Wizards, just run with it!

spacer.png

Visit my website at SSmith Designs (google.com)

On 4/23/2021 at 2:45 PM, SSmith48 said:

I think it was good because it ran with the name and idea. It could have used an update, but it worked. It is such as shame that they replaced this branding with some generic Washington DC symbolism (and if I'm frank, that Washington Monument logo works much better as an alternate logo). If you've got the name Wizards, just run with it!

I think with the 2011 rebrand, the Wizards were basically trying to become the Bullets again, without actually renaming themselves "Bullets."

They seem to have phased out any connection to the name Wizards in their identity, and are now basically the Wizards in name only.  So I think ditching that Wizards logo was going to happen sooner or later, because it really doesn't mesh with anything else in their identity.  Their identity now is basically just "Washington Basketball Team" - which is also pretty much what it was when they were the Bullets.

I would have kind of preferred what you are saying.  I think they should have kept the blue/black/gold color scheme, updated their logo/uniforms to make them less 90s and more 2010s, and still held onto the Wizards identity.  But I guess not enough fans, or the organization itself, wanted to do that.

Archived